Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Socket in Bathroom - regs?

Options
  • 30-12-2017 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

I want to install a USB charging point in the bathroom for Echo, Google Home or similar device.

I have an unused box that was meant for a towel rail, so easy enough to install. Would obviously be safest to get a dedicated USB only faceplate, but those are hard to come by. My intention is to put in a 3 pin with USB combo plate and blank off the mains part with one of those child safety blanks.

Just wonder what the regs say about 5v USB installation in wet areas?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just wonder what the regs say about 5v USB installation in wet areas?

The regs say only a REC can work in wet areas. They'll need to cert it too

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The regs say only a REC can work in wet areas. They'll need to cert it too

I have a REC coming round in the new year to do some other work - will he be happy (as per regs) to put a USB socket of some kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have a REC coming round in the new year to do some other work - will he be happy (as per regs) to put a USB socket of some kind?

Not a REC myself I don't know all the regs. It will depend on how far from the water source. Different regs apply the further away from the water source. If the bathroom is big enough you can install a washing machine and tumble dryer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A USB socket only supplies 5VDC so no issues with any bathroom zone there. Obviously you would need to ensure that the 230VAC supply can not come into contact with water just like a light or fan.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

2011 wrote: »
    A USB socket only supplies 5VDC so no issues with any bathroom zone there. Obviously you would need to ensure that the 230VAC supply can not come into contact with water just like a light or fan.

OP
    "I want to install a USB charging point in the bathroom for Echo, Google Home or similar device.

I have an unused box that was meant for a towel rail, so easy enough to install. Would obviously be safest to get a dedicated USB only faceplate, but those are hard to come by. My intention is to put in a 3 pin with USB combo plate and blank off the mains part with one of those child safety blanks.

Just wonder what the regs say about 5v USB installation in wet areas?"

Don't know if you noticed the bold part, or even if it makes a difference.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Don't have any expert advice, just wondering why you would want to do it?

Alexa, what does it mean if my poo is jet black?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Wearb wrote: »
    Just wonder what the regs say about 5v USB installation in wet areas?"

You can do anything you like with 5VDC. There are no safety concerns as a voltage this low can not cause any harm.
    Don't know if you noticed the bold part, or even if it makes a difference.

I did, that is why I said “Obviously you would need to ensure that the 230VAC supply can not come into contact with water just like a light or fan.”

Handy for playing radio stations or music on Spotify while in the shower or bath.
    Get your morning news briefing while you're taking a dump...
    etc.

You can do anything you like with 5VDC. There are no safety concerns as a voltage this low can not cause any harm.

I did, that is why I said “Obviously you would need to ensure that the 230VAC supply can not come into contact with water just like a light or fan.”

Yeah, was going to glue a blanking plug in place so no-one inadvertently plugs any mains devices in. A dedicated USB only outlet would obviate the need for this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

So it's a socket with a USB port on it?
    You might find it hard to find an electrician willing to install that in the bathroom (unless you can get it into zone 0).
    A child proof blank can easily be pulled off.

There might be plates you can get with only a USB port on it?

EDIT;
    You've said above you would glue it but if the glue loosens or if two weeks down the line you realise that socket would be very handy for something (not saying you would do this but someone could) and take it off and plug a radio in and now this socket that has been certified by the electrician is in a wet zone and if someone gets electrocuted he is at fault.
    I would be very hesitant in installing that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But even if he puts those safety blanking plates onto the socket, is a 230V mains socket permitted in a bathroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Handy for playing radio stations or music on Spotify while in the shower or bath.
    etc.

Would you not be concerned about moisture and the echo?

Would a batter Alexa compatible speaker not be better and avoid the wiring installation. You can take it with you for other uses outside of the house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-Bluetooth-Portable-Waterproof/dp/B075XWF4XM?ref=ast_p_ei

coylemj wrote: »
    But even if he puts those safety blanking plates onto the socket, is a 230V mains socket permitted in a bathroom?

I am not suggesting that a 230V socket is installed in the bathroom with or without safety blanking plates. I am suggesting that a 5VDC socket is installed in the bathroom which is quite different.

The power supply unit for the USB socket (which requires a 230V supply) can be installed somewhere suitable (safe), for example above the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

etc.

Waterproof Bluetooth speaker and/or put your phone in a waterproof bag if you want noise in the bathroom.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Waterproof Bluetooth speaker and/or put your phone in a waterproof bag if you want noise in the bathroom.

Well the reason I had the idea of a USB socket was that I was soaking in the bath, listening to relaxing music on my (water-resistant) phone but had to dry my hands every time I wanted to change anything. Sound is a bit iffy too.

Echo dot is hands-free, and speaker is better.

For the £35 I paid for it, I'm not too bothered about a bit of moisture.

The battery power suggestion is fine, but this would be a fairly permanent installation.

I suspect from what has been said that regs will say a mains power point will be too close to my shower and bath. No need to bother my REC about it so ;)

Well the reason I had the idea of a USB socket was that I was soaking in the bath, listening to relaxing music on my (water-resistant) phone but had to dry my hands every time I wanted to change anything. Sound is a bit iffy too.

Echo dot is hands-free, and speaker is better.

For the £35 I paid for it, I'm not too bothered about a bit of moisture.

The battery power suggestion is fine, but this would be a fairly permanent installation.

I suspect from what has been said that regs will say a mains power point will be too close to my shower and bath. No need to bother my REC about it so ;)

I've used these for electronic equipment in the shower, not a drop of water gets in and touchscreen worked no issues.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I wanted to do something similar. Instead I got a Bluetooth speaker bathroom mirror. Very handy for what you ask. Can be in the bath with full on speakers playing Spotify. I can leave the phone in the room if I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

OP , just get a USB battery pack. Should last for days and you'll have the flexibility of being able to move the echo dot anywhere around the house. Charge it up every few days. Will be grand.

A 5V outlet in a bathroom is not dangerous. People tend to overreact when they get “socket” and “bathroom” in the same sentence.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

A 5V outlet in a bathroom is not dangerous. People tend to overreact when they get “socket” and “bathroom” in the same sentence.

I thought op was thinking of 3 pin 13a outlet combined with usb outlet all on one faceplate I might have misunderstood him.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

The OP was actually talking about a 230v socket with a child proof blank covering the 3 pins so that is obviously against regs if it's within most zones in the bathroom.

A plate with only a USB port is fine and he seems to have found what he's looking for above

Agree^^^
    You are correct, a 230V socket in a bathroom would not be a good idea.

I think a USB socket is a great idea though :)

17larsson wrote: »
    The OP was actually talking about a 230v socket with a child proof blank covering the 3 pins so that is obviously against regs if it's within most zones in the bathroom.

A plate with only a USB port is fine and he seems to have found what he's looking for above

Are the plates linked IP rated? And if they are is it just a sticker or properly done, buying from eBay is good for cheap tat but for safety critical items I avoid it due to amount of fakes or cheaply made items. Just because it's got a 5V outlet doesn't mean that water can't access the 230v

I didn't actually look at the links so not sure. Another option might be a USB lead with a female and male head and just have the female end sticking out somewhere handy in the bathroom.
    I'm not sure if such a lead exists though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I don't know if they exist, but a correctly installed shaver socket with USB outlet might be a reg compatible way to do this. Or get a normal shaver socket installed and use a USB travel adapter for the Echo.

I'd still be putting the Echo up high on a shelf next to the outlet and use a short USB cable. Even with 5 V USB there are documented cases of people getting electrocuted while charging their phones in baths due to the adapters malfunctioning.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Even with 5 V USB there are documented cases of people getting electrocuted while charging their phones in baths due to the adapters malfunctioning.

Nobody gets electrocuted from 5V

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nobody gets electrocuted from 5V
    They do if the wall plug malfunctions and allows 230 V down.

Plenty of cheap aftermarket adapters out there with poor isolation.

Advertisement