Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part time accounting degree

• 30-12-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, just looking for advice about part time accounting degree. If I have to choose between Ba Accounting and Finance in Griffith college or/vs IT Tallaght? I can only do a part time degree. Is there more options? I am mature undergraduate student currently doing iati second year. Thanks!

Comments

Do you have any other third level qualifications and/or are you working in accounting already?

If so could you continue on directly to the accounting exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lilalu

(Do you have any other third level qualifications and/or are you working in accounting already?

If so could you continue on directly to the accounting exams?)

Hi. No, I did not finish my third level education. And I really would like to have one, but I can only study part time. Just trying to find some options...

ACCA in conjunction with a UK university offer an honours degree once you have completed your exams and some further work for the college. I am not sure if it is offered to people studying in Ireland.

I'm sure there are some other part time options - search back through here as the question has come up before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

You don't need to have a degree to do ACCA's and be a qualified accountant. A colleague of mine is doing them while working and she doesn't have a primary degree. You can sit as few as 2 exams I think each quarter so can break it up to suit your own time. Might be worth looking into.

I would like degree as well(for myself 😊). But when I see that IT Tallaght is at the bottom of university rankings then I am not sure what to do. Do employers care where your degree is from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Lilalu wrote: »
    I would like degree as well(for myself ��). But when I see that IT Tallaght is at the bottom of university rankings then I am not sure what to do. Do employers care where your degree is from?

From personal experience, ITT has some excellent accounting lecturers that will be useful all the way up to FAE's. Small class and super approachable lecturers. If you're hung up on having a brand name on your CV, do a masters in smurfit afterwards, which will get you exemptions also.

Knew quite a few like myself that went from ITT to Big 4, and many fully qualified ACA's from ITT. I don't even get asked at interviews about the degree, all questions are geared towards work, experience and environment.

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

If you can do accounting exams without doing a degree I would advise it. I did a 4 year degree before I started my ACA exams and I couldn't regret anything more such a waste of time. I am fairly sure if you do the 2 years accounting technicans which it sounds like your doing you can go straight into them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thomlin

You've got to think long term with this.

Yes you can do ACCA exams and bypass the degree route, but think about it if you get to a position in your accounting studies where you think damn I've had enough (and trust me you will at times) if you drop out of the ACCA you only have your ATI qualification as you get nothing for not completing the ACCA exams.

Also lets say you've qualified and bypassed the degree route or got the degree with ACCA and you've been inteviewing for a job you really want and it comes down to you and another candidate with the exact same experience, personality hell you're practically identical twins BUT the other candidate has a degree with X college/university who do you think the employer will pick?

There is nothing wrong with the degree you get with the ACCA, but it won't hold up to an independent college/university in Ireland.

I would personally recommend you do the degree and with ITT. I did the ATI and then later went on to do the degree with ITT and then onto ACCA with a total of nine exemptions. I can't speak for Griffith college, but I know that ITT has a great relationship with the ACCA, ACA and CIMA not sure about CPA and this guarantees that your degree will get the nine exemptions.

Best of luck with your decision.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I briefly did the part time accounting degree in IT Tallaght a long time ago, I quickly realised accounting wasn't for me but I couldn't really fault the place. Some very good lecturers, good facilities etc.

Like you, I wanted that degree, but if I knew then what I know now, and knew accounting is what I wanted to do, then I would have just got on with ACCA exams or equivalent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement