Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concert in 3 Arena -bus home or stay in Dublin?

Options
  • 30-12-2017 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Hi, I’m going to an evening concert in 3 Arena later in the year. Would it be possible to get a bus home to Galway (go bus/city link etc) or is that mad thinking and I’d be better getting a hotel. I’ll have a child with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Before anyone beats me to it, I mean 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

How late does it finish? Gobus is the closest I think (unless Citylink have a stop further down now). Last gobus from the city is 12.15 - it's usually grand and lots of sleepy people.

Dublin hotels have been crazy priced over the last year, but you get the odd bargain. If it's a big gig, the prices often go up to reflect demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

There's a budget hostel/hotel i know that is absolutely ideally located for gigs in the 3 arena. Its a big place clean, safe and has private rooms. Its called Jacobs inn Its in Dublin city center, 2 mins walk from Busaras station and Connolly station. There's a luas stop right outside the door that is 5 stops away from the 3 arena. It'll drop you there and back after the gig. (I've stayed there twice)
    I dunno what your budget is for hotels but this one couldn't be better located.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Have done that quite a few time and would do so again. You need to pay for the fare home anyway and Dublin hotel prices are ridiculous. There are better ways to spend that much money!
    You get home late, but at least you are in your own bed. I'm not exactly a spring chicken, if I can do it, you can too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi, I’m going to an evening concert in 3 Arena later in the year. Would it be possible to get a bus home to Galway (go bus/city link etc) or is that mad thinking and I’d be better getting a hotel. I’ll have a child with me.

How old is the child? Are you travelling up the same day and how long is the journey up? Most gigs finish about 10 or 10:30 so it'll be 11 before you get the bus. It could be a long day for an adult never mind a child.

Airbnb or a hostel could be relatively cheap. Check Booking.com for prices. I got a hotel in D2 for 70 on a Thursday 2 weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Child is 12 and well able to walk. We’d be leaving galway at lunchtime on a Friday (I know!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

As it's a weekend I'd definitely get the bus home and have a lie in in your own beds on the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Check both company timetables to see what time suits you best, and give yourself at least a half an hour window for the bus.
    Just note that (at least with Gobus) the later buses are only every 2 hours. So there is a 10.15 then the next is 12.15. Also there's a Citylink that stops everywhere on the way back, so be careful not to mistake that! Gobus are really good about letting you on the next bus if you miss one, once it's not full, so if you think you will make the earlier one, try for that.

Of the two I prefer Gobus and it's the last of the night back. If you prebook it's best, particularly if a popular gig is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

inisboffin wrote: »
    If you prebook it's best, particularly if a popular gig is on.

And be at the pick-up point at least 15 mins early, otherwise they can offer your seat to someone else if they're busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Very doable, done many similar late night journeys, but I've had enough of them now, you 'll both be shattered by the time you get home. I use to park my car next to my local bus station, so that was available to me at the end of the journey, May not be an option for you, but worth considering. Headphones might be a good idea for both of you, not just for entertainment but to drone out the noises of the bus, and also maybe consider ear plugs and maybe even an eye mask, if you're sensitive to noises and lights at night, you might be able to get some rest on the bus. Oh and toilet, make sure you use it before starting your journey, may not be one available on your bus, and if there is, it may not be pleasant. Some drinks and snacks might help to, but be aware, drinks bottles are generally not allowed in the 3 arena. Enjoy the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I do it often. Curfew in the 3 arena is 11, so you can easily make the 11.45 or the 12.15 buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I've done this a few times on Go Bus. Never had any problems with the toilets on the bus. Always working and always clean. But maybe I've just been lucky on that count.

The only problem I've had was for a Saturday gig the bus arrived in Galway when the regular Saturday night crowd in Galway were trying to get taxis home so it might have been better to have a car in town to do the last few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Done this loads of times. You'll definitely be able to make a bus afterwards. Concerts in the 3arena don't go on longer than 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad727

There could be a concert bus going from the cathedral in Galway to the 3 arena. There are 2 or 3 companies that operate concert buses I think, so it might be worth googling! I got a concert bus to a concert in the 3 arena a few months ago and it was very handy. The bus parked very close to the arena and we left the arena around half an hour after the concert finished so it was very convenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

If you do the bus that night a concern I would have is getting from the 3 to the bus stop especially as you have a twelve year old with you. However if you are walking I would imagine that there would be lots of others walking also and there is safety in numbers.

On the bus itself people would be tired and sleepy and most would want to sleep. However there will always be some people who want to natter and disturb others so bring some earplugs or something like that. Also it can be cold in a bus at that time so do bring some warm clothing and good luck.

Advertisement