Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Fridge Freezer for Kitchen

Options
  • 30-12-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I am having an extension built in the new year and as part of which will be having a new kitchen fitted. I want to get an American Fridge Freezer for the kitchen. I don't have much knowledge on these and I'm wondering do I require a certain type as I've seen products with "built in" appended to the front of it but the majority don't seem to have this. Is it a requirement to have a "built in" FF? It will be integrated into a carcass..

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,007 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Some American fridges are a fridge and freezer. Some also have an ice dispenser and some have a filtered water dispenser and some have both. To me the main thing is to get the one that suits you best.

Mine has all the above and needs to be plumbed in

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DJDOO

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me...Oh yeah, I know that (Fridge/Freezer, ice etc) The ones I am looking at are side by side f/f and in relation the plumbing thats fine because there'll be the extension so I'm not restricted. It's more the "built in" that I'm confused about. I had thought that any American Fridge Freezer would suit but now I see some online stated as "built in" so I'm just a bit unsure :confused::confused:

I'm not sure what the built in means. Would it be integrated like a dishwasher maybe?

I don't think so as when viewing them online the doors seem to be the same as "non built in" fridge freezers.... I guess I'll just need to wait to ask the kitchen guy. I had been hoping to sneak a bargain in the sales

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

One thing to be careful with is that it fits through your front door, or back door. Had a few problems with mine, lucky the fridge doors could come off, and just managed to get it in.
    I have my FF built in to a carcass and the doors protrude out so you can open the doors like these. http://advice.diy-kitchens.com/customer-questions/box-in-american-fridge-freezer/ You will need space for ventilation, so don`t push it all the way to the wall, but tell the guys that are designing your kitchen the model you have and they can design enclosure space around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Technique

I used to have a Whirlpool side by side, It packed in after 12 years last summer and we bought one of these

https://www.beko.ie/american-style-fridge-freezer-gne114610ap-stainless-steel

The Beko is much better - all of the fridge are is above waist level, the 4th door can either be a fridge or a freezer, and there seems to be more storage space within the same footprint. The only negative is no water/ice dispenser but we don't really miss it.

@lardarse Thanks for that, that's exactly the type of info I was after!!

@Technique, thank you for that, interesting, I've been looking at both an LG and a Samsung mainly because of the large fridge capacity of 400+Ltrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Sign up for a £1 free trial with Which.co.uk (make sure to remember to cancel after the month) and use their reviews and guides to advise you. I am looking for a AFF myself and have found their guides to be very good. Was going to get one last week and had a read of the review and test results on which and I am glad I did as the AFF in question scored really badly on their tests.

@cartonleon Thanks for that, I have done that, unfortunately there are a lot of models they don't review..but good tip, thanks

• Advertisement

I forget all about this magazine. I used to get it monthly 30 years ago. A little experience from what I remember but it made a great read

Advertisement