Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PP sought for housing devt. at Blakes/Esmonde Motors site in Stillorgan

• 31-12-2017 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭

I spotted a planning application notice on the external wall of the old Blakes restaurant site the other day, was driving so couldn't take a look but I reckon it relates to this proposal .......

Cairn Homes Properties Limited intend to apply to An Bord Pleanála for planning permission for a strategic housing development at the former Blakes and Esmonde Motors sites, Lower Kilmacud Road, the Stillorgan Road (N11) and The Hill, Stillorgan Co. Dublin. The site is located to the south east of Stillorgan Village Centre, to the west of the N11, and to the north and north east of The Hill

https://www.stillorganresplanning.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Looks the part, ideal for a location well served by public transport and excellent local facilities and long past the time that derelict site shouldve been turned over. Hope it flies through and gets building quick smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I see the developers claim that this is a 'strategic' housing development and presumably that's why they're going direct to An Bord Pleanala but I can't see what's 'strategic' about a residential development :confused:

BTW, I don't blame them for bypassing the local authority (DLR co co) because it will minimize the impact of nuisance objectors who would probably have caused the application to end with with ABP anyway so good luck to the developers but I'm wondering can anyone label their PP application as 'strategic'?

Student accommodation = strategic.

AnBP could of course dismiss that contention and refer it back to DLR. Either way, locals are well funded in that neck of the woods, they can afford to object if they wish at either forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

coylemj wrote: »
    I see the developers claim that this is a 'strategic' housing development and presumably that's why they're going direct to An Bord Pleanala but I can't see what's 'strategic' about a residential development :confused:

BTW, I don't blame them for bypassing the local authority (DLR co co) because it will minimize the impact of nuisance objectors who would probably have caused the application to end with with ABP anyway so good luck to the developers but I'm wondering can anyone label their PP application as 'strategic'?
    Student accommodation is strategic and frees up housing stick for families

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Seems like a great location for this development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

With takeaways, pubs, off-licenses, cinema and supermarkets on their doorstep its a great location, with limited impact on local traffic due to presumed use of buses and bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭cobham

It would also be ideal for apartment scheme for downsizers living in the locality, I see there is a mix of units between student type accomodation and apartments, mostly one bedroomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

This location is scandalous according to your local councillor Deirdre Donnelly

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/councillor-brands-plan-to-build-student-apartments-on-prime-site-as-scandalous-36524255.html

No facilities in the area and apparently it's dangerous for young women in particular to live in off campus accommodation
    I had to look up to see where this hell hole was as it couldn't be the same stillorgan blakes that I remembered from years ago

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/councillor-brands-plan-to-build-student-apartments-on-prime-site-as-scandalous-36524255.html

No facilities in the area and apparently it's dangerous for young women in particular to live in off campus accommodation
    I had to look up to see where this hell hole was as it couldn't be the same stillorgan blakes that I remembered from years ago
    Who votes for idiots like her? Clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

She's a fool. She and Shane Ross made a holy show of themselves in the Irish Times giving out about permission being granted for a residential development at the back of Oatlands. I see on her website she doesn't want resi development at the derelict Glass Bottle Site in Goatstown. She gave out when UCD applied straight to ABP for their recent student accommodation development (saying that bypassing the local authority was undemocratic - it's a price worth paying if it cuts these self-serving Councillors from the process IMO).

But now she has the gall to say that this site should be used solely for residential. I live 5 minutes from the site - filling the site with a load of apartments (likely for local downsizers, or whoever, but they'll all have cars) would be a traffic nightmare. 103 apartments and 576 student bed spaces wouldn't cause the same sort of traffic nightmare, and will be much more beneficial for local business than solely an apartment development.

Looking at some of her arguments:

Safety, especially for women - a bright, busy, high density student residence in the middle of Stillorgan Village is multiple times safer than, say, getting off the last bus at UCD flyover and walking alone through the dark, deserted UCD campus at midnight.

No student facilities - yeah, students hate having Lidl and Tesco on their doorstep, going to the cinema (on their doorstep), going bowling (on their doorstep), having restaurants and takeaways (on their doorstep), pubs (on their doorstep) and cafés (on their doorstep), and immediate access to the Stillorgan QBC and bike lane.

Vacancy for parts of the year - she's obviously never gotten on the 46a over the summer when every bus is completely rammed with spanish summer students. Where does she think that they all go?

"She is not opposed to new building". Your record suggests otherwise Councillor.

Y'know, I'm actually getting so annoyed, and seeing as she's one of my Councillors I might email her to give out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It can go straight to abp as it's over 100 units or 200 student bed spaces... they do have to consult with council first though. Afaik... wonder how much longer the leisureplex facility will last ...

I just read that article. What an idiot. She actually thinks they will be lying idle during the summer ?! Lol!

Thankfully she has no say in approving the plans or not. What weak and transparent comment. Those apartments will arguably be more lucrative in the summer through lettings for holidaymakers, corporate and sporting events, not to mention UCDs own summer programme.

Its certainly a bold looking design but i like the finish, much higher quality than so much contemporary stuff.

I worked for USIT years ago, they ran the UCD student apartments during the summer. Always busy, plenty of groups and teams using local facilities aswell as language students

ted1 wrote: »
    Who votes for idiots like her? Clueless.

Older people (most of whom vote) who believe that by keeping a cap on the population density, it will lead to a more peaceful neighbourhood and maintain property values.

That is the message (whether subliminal or overt) being sold by nimby councillors like that lady. And as most students won't bother to register to vote, she has nothing to lose (electorally) by adopting that stance.

'Look at me, I'm sticking my neck out and taking flak to preserve Stillorgan for the locals and to keep out marauding hoards of drunk and rowdy students who will run riot at weekends and spoil our peaceful neighbourhood.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Surely, (apart from digs in First Year), Student acommodation will actually improve the availability of other properties for those who will live in them full time. I must be mad though to say that!

Great site there indeed. I remember going to Blakes back in the day, was my Dad's favourite place, but he is gone now, so happy memories!

Every time a suggestion is mooted to actually help the housing situation for long termers, it is NIMBY'd.

Build it and they will come!

'Look at me, I'm sticking my neck out and taking flak to preserve Stillorgan for the locals and to keep out marauding hoards of drunk and rowdy students who will run riot at weekends and spoil our peaceful neighbourhood.'

And spend buckets of money in pubs and shops. Its really could be a massive rebirth for the village area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Blut2

600 odd students and 200 odd other people in the apartments would bring a big chunk of change to the shops in the area. If every one of them spent 50eur a week in the shops (which is almost certainly lowballing it) its 40k a week in new custom.

I'd say the cinema, McDonalds/Eddie Rockets and Tesco/Lidl in particular will be licking their lips at the prospect.

I rechon the student based proposal is to get a quicker start on the site as it allows them to bypass the local authority. Cairn also have the Montrose site and will take their time with that 'prime site'. That site is actually closer to Belfield.

Yes a great site for down sizers in the area but a decent scheme is needed aimed at older people. Then so many houses in area would be freed up for families or even house sharing students!

The non student units are tiny slots, no doubt aimed at rental market for investors even parents of students.

It is a prime site on N11 and should be imaginatively designed, that junction needs some statement building/feature to indicate the closeness of Stillorgan/main intersection.

And what is happening with the bowling alley/library? I am growing old waiting for a permanent library to serve the area. And the swimming pool.....:(

I just looked at the leuisureplex site and the library, there is also the small row of shops and a few houses. If that entire site could be redeveloped, it would create over 1000 bed spaces if at the same density as proposed for the site next door. it looks to be well over double the size...

• Advertisement

cobham wrote: »
    And what is happening with the bowling alley/library? I am growing old waiting for a permanent library to serve the area. And the swimming pool.....:(
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    I just looked at the leuisureplex site and the library, there is also the small row of shops and a few houses. If that entire site could be redeveloped, it would create over 1000 bed spaces if at the same density as proposed for the site next door. it looks to be well over double the size...

:confused: Is the bowling alley on land owned by the council or why are it and the library being discussed as if they constituted an entity capable of being developed to a single plan?

I feel the bowling alley land is open for redevelopment. There was a plan proposed once to redevelop four sites as one ie shopping centre, bowling Alley, Ormonde site and Blakes/Esmonde. It was a grandiose scheme involving relocation of the road from Stillorgan Decor to the N11 by running it underground to skirt the northern boundary. This fell by the wayside with Dundrum getting ahead as a major retail centre.

:confused: Is the bowling alley on land owned by the council or why are it and the library being discussed as if they constituted an entity capable of being developed to a single plan?

I dont think they are. My point is, if that entire site was to be redeveloped, you could have library at ground level and apartments, student accomodation above. What is currently occupying those sites is such a waste of space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

cobham wrote: »

The Leisureplex site was bought by Kennedy Wilson (owners of the Stillorgan SC) about 18 months ago. I assume at some point they'll redevelop.

http://www.sherryfitz.ie/files/SAM//24979/WWW/Stillorgan%20Brochure.pdf

You can see from the brochure how big the site is, and that the library site and the row of council houses obviously weren't included. There's 16 Maisonettes in there, 14 of which are boarded up. DLRCC coming under pressure to renovate them:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/council-urged-to-reopen-16-empty-bedsits-in-stillorgan-1.3222688

There was talk of building a new pool at the library site, but that has now been dropped in favour of renovating/rebuilding the pool at Glenalbyn. There's been no progress on that in the last 6 months (since the decision to abandon the library site was made) that I can see.

The logical thing for the library site is to do a masterplan with Kennedy Wilson, give up the site in return for a new library, community services and additional council-owned apartments (over-and-above the minimum social housing requirements) in a large development of the entire.

There's currently a draft LAP being considered, which identifies the library site and leisureplex as a key site, and notes the need for co-operation among developers and landowners.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/planning/local-area-plans/stillorgan-draft-local-area-plan-2018-%E2%80%93-2024

The Council are under pressure to renovate the Maisonettes - they could spend €1.5M to do that, only to then knock them all in a few years as part of a large redevelopment. Rock and a hard place....

Edit.

I note from the brochure and also from the commercial lease register that the lease for Leisureplex is short-term - there was a 2-year renewal from March 2017. There could be movement on this site sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

wowy wrote: »

There's 16 Maisonettes in there, 14 of which are boarded up

Surely you must be mistaken ; our housing minister has been assured by the council that there are only 77 vacant properties in the entire council area

www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/number-of-vacant-homes-in-dublin-said-to-be-between-900-and-1-000-1.3368771%3fmode=amp

wowy wrote: »
    The Leisureplex site was bought by Kennedy Wilson (owners of the Stillorgan SC) about 18 months ago. I assume at some point they'll redevelop.

http://www.sherryfitz.ie/files/SAM//24979/WWW/Stillorgan%20Brochure.pdf

You can see from the brochure how big the site is, and that the library site and the row of council houses obviously weren't included. There's 16 Maisonettes in there, 14 of which are boarded up. DLRCC coming under pressure to renovate them:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/council-urged-to-reopen-16-empty-bedsits-in-stillorgan-1.3222688

There was talk of building a new pool at the library site, but that has now been dropped in favour of renovating/rebuilding the pool at Glenalbyn. There's been no progress on that in the last 6 months (since the decision to abandon the library site was made) that I can see.

The logical thing for the library site is to do a masterplan with Kennedy Wilson, give up the site in return for a new library, community services and additional council-owned apartments (over-and-above the minimum social housing requirements) in a large development of the entire.

There's currently a draft LAP being considered, which identifies the library site and leisureplex as a key site, and notes the need for co-operation among developers and landowners.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/planning/local-area-plans/stillorgan-draft-local-area-plan-2018-%E2%80%93-2024

The Council are under pressure to renovate the Maisonettes - they could spend €1.5M to do that, only to then knock them all in a few years as part of a large redevelopment. Rock and a hard place....

Edit.

I note from the brochure and also from the commercial lease register that the lease for Leisureplex is short-term - there was a 2-year renewal from March 2017. There could be movement on this site sooner rather than later.

leave the maisonettes free, what would replace them if developed as one scheme, would deliver 15-20 the density I am assuming... more probably! If they are indeed vacant, that is fantastic! these new apartment guidelines will also make apartment development profitable or more profitable...

Last I heard was that the prefab library and maisonettes were going to be demolished by the Council and a new swimming pool built there to replace the problem child Glenalbyn centre, with a new library included as part of the complex. Cllr Donnelly and her colleague Sir Winston Churchtown have long been giving out about Glenalbyn not be repaired and reopened, but to my mind, it would be cheaper in the long term to do a new build on a Council owned site.

what is the issue with putting in a pool a library etc and 9 floors of accommodation above it, like proposed on the blakes site? I thought we didnt have enough social housing and a housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

According to The Irish Times, planning permission has been granted for the development. It needed to be done in my opinion!

However, I still have fond memories of Bondi Beach their in spite of the absolute dive that it was! :D

It will be interesting to see what development goes up in the site of the current Leisure Plex as there are rumors of it and surrounding properties being bought out as well.

In any case, Stillorgan is going to eventually regain the status it lost to Dundrum albeit with a different purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats good news. If a large apartment complex gets approved for Leisureplex as well its going to make the area quite high density population wise. I'd say the local shops will be delighted.

Advertisement