Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

Will be a tough game for sure, always susceptible to a goal on the break even though we have been defending really well but if Kane is out for the league game then this is a result!

I know their record is actually good without Kane but still would rather face them without him than with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Can someone explain to me why Aguero is still taking penalties?

I know he is an incredible striker but most of his goals come from his clever movement and his instinctive finishing, none of which is applicable when taking penalties.

He has missed quite a few, and quite frankly he was lucky with the last 2 he scored (a poor one in the Carabao Cup final shootout, and the one against Swansea would have been a miss if it hadn't bounced off the keeper).

Surely there must be a better penalty taker at the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Firstly i think Spurs were really good on the night and put us under so much pressure particularly in the first half

however, I have to say i think Pep has to shoulder the blame for us losing last night.

The team selection was strange.

1. Mahrez ahead of Sane
    2. Delph ahead of Laporte (Kompany or stones in the centre)

Id argue both of the selections decisions above were poor with no logic i can think of.

Its not like either Mahrez or Sane are tired or that Mahrez will give you a better defensive effort than Sane

Delph has been injured most of the season and to bring him in to a CL semi in whats not his position is a questionable decision.

That being said Pep has to go with his best opinion and im no Pep.

I have a bigger gripe with the decision to bring on De bruyne and Sane in the 88 min. Again neither is tired and it looked to me like Spurs had used up a lot of energy. surely bring them on with twenty to go (prior to the spurs goal on 78 mins) was the thing to do if we had i think we would have won that game

I would expect us to win at home but if spurs get an away goal then its difficult.
    Any thoughts

murphk wrote: »
    Firstly i think Spurs were really good on the night and put us under so much pressure particularly in the first half

however, I have to say i think Pep has to shoulder the blame for us losing last night.

The team selection was strange.

1. Mahrez ahead of Sane
    2. Delph ahead of Laporte (Kompany or stones in the centre)

Id argue both of the selections decisions above were poor with no logic i can think of.

Its not like either Mahrez or Sane are tired or that Mahrez will give you a better defensive effort than Sane

Delph has been injured most of the season and to bring him in to a CL semi in whats not his position is a questionable decision.

That being said Pep has to go with his best opinion and im no Pep.

I have a bigger gripe with the decision to bring on De bruyne and Sane in the 88 min. Again neither is tired and it looked to me like Spurs had used up a lot of energy. surely bring them on with twenty to go (prior to the spurs goal on 78 mins) was the thing to do if we had i think we would have won that game

I would expect us to win at home but if spurs get an away goal then its difficult.
    Any thoughts

Sums it up pretty much. I really thought for the 10 minutes before we conceded that this was going to be played out as a 0-0 draw, really didn't see the goal coming

In other news apparently B. Silva just picked up a knock in training and wasn't played as a precaution which sounds is good news if true. Hopefully Aguero came through ok.

Huuuuge game at the weekend, been fearing it for a while even though Palace have a bad home record.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Superb effort by the lads today and hats off to Liverpool for keeping on our tails. Tough run in but anything can happen at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Only five heart attacks to go

De Bruyne did one of those Player Tribune things, pretty decent:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/global/articles/kevin-de-bruyne-man-city-let-me-talk

What an entertaining game, unfortunately Laporte decides to make his only 2 mistakes of the season in this game.

Moving on, we should really beat them on Saturday, tore them a new one all game pretty much outside of Laportes mistakes.

How ironic that var halts us (rightly) where it could have helped us a lot if it was in play last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Wrong team thru to Semi.... can't see Spurs getting any further. At least City have the squad capable of beating Ajax. Tough night to be blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Masala wrote: »
    Wrong team thru to Semi.... can't see Spurs getting any further. At least City have the squad capable of beating Ajax. Tough night to be blue

Wrong team? Would ya ever f**K off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Well that's deflating. 50/50 how it goes from here, must be very hard to pick themselves up after that for the next 2 massive games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Well that's deflating. 50/50 how it goes from here, must be very hard to pick themselves up after that for the next 2 massive games.

Impossible I would reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Yea Spurs be flying after the win as well. Thought we deserved the win and prob deserved to go through but not to be.
    Still treble on the cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

magentis wrote: »
    Impossible I would reckon.

I think the fact City have Spurs next might help as Spurs must be wrecked after that and its a chance for revenge for City.

I think the fact City have Spurs next might help as Spurs must be wrecked after that and its a chance for revenge for City.

I feel like **** after that game The players must be heart broken. There pro athletics tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Nalz wrote: »
    Wrong team? Would ya ever f**K off

Spurs never gonna handle Ajax...... they dead men walking !!!

Masala wrote: »
    Spurs never gonna handle Ajax...... they dead men walking !!!

Take the trolling outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Cruel cruel stuff but if u wana win champions league you need to be putting spurs away over 180mins. Cant fault the effort just a pity the way it happened. I thought we were unlucky with the handball. There were various angles shown on tv that made it look like handball but these werent the ones the ref seen so cant fault him for his decisions.

Need to pick ourselves up for saturday. Same result will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

What an entertaining game, unfortunately Laporte decides to make his only 2 mistakes of the season in this game.

Moving on, we should really beat them on Saturday, tore them a new one all game pretty much outside of Laportes mistakes.

How ironic that var halts us (rightly) where it could have helped us a lot if it was in play last year...

What about no VAR v Swansea in FA Cup! Swings in round about & Spurs did enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

You lot will hammer spurs now on sat, I thought spurs defence was truly awful tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Long suffering Spurs fan myself. Hopefully ye hammer us this weekend and the treble is achieved ... can't stand the idea of Liverpool winning the league! I say Manu will send out there reserves too ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

davycc wrote: »
    Long suffering Spurs fan myself. Hopefully ye hammer us this weekend and the treble is achieved ... can't stand the idea of Liverpool winning the league! I say Manu will send out there reserves too ,

Hoping your team is hammered while still in a fight for top 4? Bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Long suffering Spurs fan myself. Hopefully ye hammer us this weekend and the treble is achieved

You do realise that Spurs need points to finish top 4 as well?

Can't get over anyone wanting their own team to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Real fan you are!

Absolutely pathetic wanting your team to lose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

POKERKING wrote: »
    Cruel cruel stuff but if u wana win champions league you need to be putting spurs away over 180mins. Cant fault the effort just a pity the way it happened. I thought we were unlucky with the handball. There were various angles shown on tv that made it look like handball but these werent the ones the ref seen so cant fault him for his decisions.

Need to pick ourselves up for saturday. Same result will do.

Making it look like handball doesnt mean it was
    It quite clearly came off his hip.

Pep was going mad for VARS when it suited him on the sideline. From what I've seen the system works and you lot are in a FA Cup final as a result of no VAR in your game against Swansea when the other quarterfinal had one.

Over 180 mins you couldn't put away an injury ridden depleted spurs squad. Also felt pep got it wrong from a subs perspective in how late he left it

How in gods name can any fan of any team type or say the words "I hope you hammer us" ill say none because no way any half decent proper supporter could say that

What about no VAR v Swansea in FA Cup! Swings in round about & Spurs did enough.

How about the Boly goal? Swing and round abouts as you say and i think city are due a couple of swings before the next round about hits! Hopefully they are meaningful swings

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Other long serving Spurs fan here, hoping we hammer you lot this weekend. We're not all crazy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rob316 wrote: »
    Hoping your team is hammered while still in a fight for top 4? Bizarre
    You do realise that Spurs need points to finish top 4 as well?

Can't get over anyone wanting their own team to lose.
    Real fan you are!

Absolutely pathetic wanting your team to lose!
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    How in gods name can any fan of any team type or say the words "I hope you hammer us" ill say none because no way any half decent proper supporter could say that

I'm going to guess Liverpool fans

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

no team in History has ever done a domestic treble as crazy as that sounds, thought that stat was wrong.

That should be enough to pick them up. Hopefully they’re out for blood now, very confident about Saturday as we have to be, win 6 games and another record is broken.

The champions league maybe what the owners want but any fan who knows their stuff realises it’s just an added bonus if you win it. The premier league is your bread and butter.

What a game last night though, typical city to win, draw and lose all in the same night! Would love to see Spurs or Ajax win it now though, preference for Spurs!

gstack166 wrote: »
    no team in History has ever done a domestic treble as crazy as that sounds, thought that stat was wrong.

Arsenal Ladies, 2007 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

gstack166 wrote: »

That should be enough to pick them up. Hopefully they’re out for blood now, very confident about Saturday as we have to be, win 6 games and another record is broken.

The champions league maybe what the owners want but any fan who knows their stuff realises it’s just an added bonus if you win it. The premier league is your bread and butter.

What a game last night though, typical city to win, draw and lose all in the same night! Would love to see Spurs or Ajax win it now though, preference for Spurs!

The biggest clubs in Europe have all won it multiple times. You want to be a big club, ya need to win it.

Alex Ferguson dominated england for 20 years but in that time only managed 2 CL trophies (10 years apart too). United were never the European conquering side like Liverpool were in the 70s and 80s.

You want to be mentioned in the same breath as Barca, Real, Bayern. You need to win it.

Its a big failure from Pep again not even getting to the semi final.

The biggest clubs in Europe have all won it multiple times. You want to be a big club, ya need to win it.

Alex Ferguson dominated england for 20 years but in that time only managed 2 CL trophies (10 years apart too). United were never the European conquering side like Liverpool were in the 70s and 80s.

You want to be mentioned in the same breath as Barca, Real, Bayern. You need to win it.

To be honest, if being on the verge of winning 4 league titles in 7 years doesn’t classify you as a big club, then I’m happy for it to stay that way.

It’s not a failure by Pep at all. Why is it a failure that he didn’t get to a semi final when we’ve ever only been to one European Cup semi final? Narrow minded way of thinking. He’s producing the best football that this club and arguably England have ever witnessed, So once again let he keep being a failure if the domestic results stay the same.

The 2 representatives of England left in the champions league have gone a combined 87 years without winning their domestic leagues. Don’t tell me getting to a semi final of a European cup with that record is a bigger achievement for them managers than what Pep has done.

You’re judged on trophies, Pep has 3x more trophies won for his club than the other 2 combined.

Non Sence, what Pep have achieved is mind blowing.

Non Sence, what Pep have achieved is mind blowing.

People seem to hold Pep to standards that are just insane. I see that fella Miguel Delaney on Twitter now saying Pep should of won 4 Champions Leagues in a row with Barca. I had to read it over a few times to make sure my eyes weren’t going funny. He is some character that fella.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

How about the Boly goal? Swing and round abouts as you say and i think city are due a couple of swings before the next round about hits! Hopefully they are meaningful swings

How many offside goals have ye scored in the last couple of months alone?

I thought it was us pool fans who had the victim mentality?

Mr.H wrote: »
    How many offside goals have ye scored in the last couple of months alone?

I thought it was us pool fans who had the victim mentality?

Ye have. That’s why there’s numerous songs about it.

Welcome back gstack

gstack166 wrote:
    Ye have. That’s why there’s numerous songs about it.

So you dont remember any of yers? You dont even have to go back a week ffs

My response was in relation to the second part of your message.

Why are you in here? You’ll be smeared with crude oil in here, we all know how much ye Liverpool fans detest oil now don’t we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

liVARpool ;)

Didn't pep say himself that the owners wanted him to win the cl 3times in a row

Don't think the owners would put up with a manager who is a consistant runner up

He still could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He still could.

He'll win it before he leaves but I don't see him staying more than 5 years with City. He'll have set the club up excellently and move on to a new challenge for him. I'd think Italy next. Win a few leagues there and show that his system can work anywhere.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He'll win it before he leaves but I don't see him staying more than 5 years with City. He'll have set the club up excellently and move on to a new challenge for him. I'd think Italy next. Win a few leagues there and show that his system can work anywhere.

He’s openly stated he could stay for 1 more year past his existing contract which was 2 more seasons left after this one so we could possibly get 6 years max out of him.

I don’t see him going next nor near Italy to be honest. One of the reasons he left Barca was because of all the politics in the club between Presidents & executives using him to score points etc with the fans during elections and so on, he’s also stated that during his spell at Bayern when Karl-Heinz Rummenigge & Franz Beckenbauer were bickering that he hates being dragged into it & just wants to coach. Italy is arguably much worse for that stuff than Spain & Germany!

I can see him going into International management next possibly, he doesn’t have to prove it in Italy, we know it’ll work there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I think it's fair to say that you're not a very intelligent person.

gstack166 wrote:
    My response was in relation to the second part of your message.

Classy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

He still could.

Not a hope. That is pure madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

What's with all the non City fans on this thread, its gas. Trying to dance on a grave after as narrow a defeat as you can get. Just shows how bitter other fans are, its more about other clubs failures than their own clubs successes.

Pep never said the owners expect him to win 3 in a row. That's nonsense. Of course a goal is to win the champs league, I think he will do it personally. Was incredibly fine margins on Wednesday. But just because he hasn't doesn't really bother me, and I would say most other City fans.

He was brought to the club to change the culture, implement a style and to first and foremost play wonderful football with trophies to follow. He's more than delivering on all of these points. This is the greatest time supporting Man City I have ever had and I am loving every minute of it, even with the extra stress it can bring as the stakes are higher :) They were in contention for a quadruple up until Mid April, no one within the club was ever talking up the quadruple either, it was particularly notable that journalists & other fans were doing the talking. Methinks in a pre emptive attempt to paint anything else as a failure, which is the funniest thing of all.

Whenever he leaves the club will be in a much better position than it was, whether they have won the champs league or not. Trying to paint any minor setback as a MASSIVE failure, particularly when the likes of Liverpool have literally won nothing so far yet since Klopps come inamuses me, greatly.

Carry on though, you won't ever bring us down from this high. Its all dreamland since 2008 and we'll never forget where we came from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement