Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

If you wanted to make money, Utd would be absolutely the best club in the world to own. By a long way I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just having a debate with a united fan.

I had a look at this newly published table by transfermarkt.
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/vereins-statistik/wertvollstemannschaften/marktwertetop?plus=1

If man city and united as a club were put up for sale right now, am I right in saying city would be more expensive in terms of market value, or would united be more, cause the friend cites this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

Your friend is correct and you are way off.

Players potential transfer values would be a relatively small factor when valuing a club. Total revenue, profitability, long term revenue deals, liabilities, non-player assets, worldwide fan base are just a list of things that would be used to calculate a price.

Mendy back in training. His last chance? really hope he can stay fit, all parties seem to really have focused on not rushing this and he has been working hard all summer by all accounts

https://twitter.com/SuperbiaProeIia/status/1164203956001599489

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

rgace wrote: »
    If you wanted to make money, Utd would be absolutely the best club in the world to own. By a long way I'd imagine.

Ah yea United would be better between the two . United fan base is massive and City is really only on catch up . They are making strides to cut into United and some day maybe may be able to battle them on that front . But City is on the way up massively.

City are the better team which is all that matters to me and our select few fans .:D

Would United be better to own than Real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

With Mendy now back in training with first team squad is it time to move Zinchenko on from a FF perspective I wonder?

While playing Well Zinchenko has still to provide an assist this Season.

With Mendy now back in training with first team squad is it time to move Zinchenko on from a FF perspective I wonder?

While playing Well Zinchenko has still to provide an assist this Season.

I was trying to find the source there but couldn't but read last week that Guardiola wants to see Mendy train for a month before he considers him again. That is guardiola saying it so who knows. I would say monitor over the international break and see after that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Manageable draw. The Everton & Palace games get moved now though.

I’m getting sick of all these European big guns giving bribes to UEFA to make sure they don’t get drawn against us in the group stages ;)

gstack166 wrote: »
    Manageable draw. The Everton & Palace games get moved now though.

I’m getting sick of all these European big guns giving bribes to UEFA to make sure they don’t get drawn against us in the group stages ;)

Easy group should no banana skins there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Easy group should no banana skins there.

Hopefully we might be able to rest some players for some later matches. are the fixtures out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Laporte injury sounds bad, I would imagine it will be confirmed its an ACL today/tomorrow.

Very light at center back now, just Otamendi and Stones of the senior players left. Fernandinho will be filling in a lot I would say. Not great when within a month of season starting you lose two important players for the season to injury. I have a fear this will ultimately cost us in champs league now.

• Advertisement

Laporte injury sounds bad, I would imagine it will be confirmed its an ACL today/tomorrow.

Very light at center back now, just Otamendi and Stones of the senior players left. Fernandinho will be filling in a lot I would say. Not great when within a month of season starting you lose two important players for the season to injury. I have a fear this will ultimately cost us in champs league now.

We havent kicked one ball in the Champions league and your ruling us out. If anything with the easy group we can rest players. We also have Cancelo to slot in there and Ferindinho \Stones\Otemendi not to bad.

https://twitter.com/samlee/status/1169221677898698761?s=21

Not good news at all. The only player in the squad we haven’t got a suitable replacement for.

The thoughts of Anfield in 8 weeks with Stones & Otamendi paired at centre back is frightening! Hopefully Fernandinho can’t step up & be a success in CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Big one for vinny tonight!

Statue and a road named after isnt bad!

This reminds me of Peps first season. Won't be winning anything with Stones and Otamendi playing together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Otamendi just simply isn't good enough at the top level. He's rash, he makes mistakes and refuses to stay on his feet. I know Pep has a soft spot for him but it was a mistake not to replace Kompany in the summer and a defender in January is surely a must.

It will likely be too late by January. I heard some stat saying that since Pep took over there have been 10 times where an outfield player has made a mistake directly leading to a goal, Stone(3) & Otamendi (5) make up 8/10

Zinchenko has performed admirably but he is an attacking midfielder (and score 2 goals for Ukraine last week!) not a LB. We all know Walker can be a liability at the back although great going forward.

Ederson has conceded a couple of goals this seasons where you are asking 'could he have done better'?

Big improvements needed across the back individually and as a team.

We don't have many moves to make. I know people are saying Fernandinho can go in at CB but:

1 - He is 34
    2 - He basically hasn't played since April
    3 - He has never played CB (afaik)

At the same time, the two mistakes today would not have been made by him and I think I would be willing to get behind the idea to see how it goes.

It will likely be too late by January. I heard some stat saying that since Pep took over there have been 10 times where an outfield player has made a mistake directly leading to a goal, Stone(3) & Otamendi (5) make up 8/10

Zinchenko has performed admirably but he is an attacking midfielder (and score 2 goals for Ukraine last week!) not a LB. We all know Walker can be a liability at the back although great going forward.

Ederson has conceded a couple of goals this seasons where you are asking 'could he have done better'?

Big improvements needed across the back individually and as a team.

We don't have many moves to make. I know people are saying Fernandinho can go in at CB but:

1 - He is 34
    2 - He basically hasn't played since April
    3 - He has never played CB (afaik)

At the same time, the two mistakes today would not have been made by him and I think I would be willing to get behind the idea to see how it goes.

Shoving a player in at January is a risk aswell. What about Cancelo he can play there with Stones. Big improvements is very hard on that defense, they had the 2nd best defense last season and best defense the season before.

Fair enough we lost Kompany but he cant be replaced.

Welp, Stones out now for 5 weeks too. What a disaster of a season with injuries.

Hope we are still in the cup competitions come February and we get Sane and Laporte back or is that too defeatist?

Welp, Stones out now for 5 weeks too. What a disaster of a season with injuries.

Hope we are still in the cup competitions come February and we get Sane and Laporte back or is that too defeatist?

Sort of lucked out with the easy CL group seems the only thing going for us .

• Advertisement

Some of the young lads should get a run out.

Was over yesterday at the game, 6:30am flight & 22:05 return to & from Dublin. Normally try get out from Cork or Shannon but due to flight times it’s been mainly Dublin in 2019.

One thing I’ve noticed is the huge crowds travelling over these days to City matches from Dublin, now I know there always was good numbers down the years especially from the Dublin supporters club but it seems to have exploded the last 18-24months that I can see.

Jerseys everywhere in Dublin airport, it’s great to see.

Different thread but shout out to the Irish Leeds fans too, always in huge numbers as well on the Manchester flight, plenty of them yesterday morning too! Respect!

What does Pep have to do to win, I'd put Poch ahead of Klopp . He didn't even show up ,what's the story behind that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

What does Pep have to do to win, I'd put Poch ahead of Klopp . He didn't even show up ,what's the story behind that?

:pac::pac::pac:

ricero wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

Poch done more with a lesser squad ,Klopp even had to flip flop on his statement about spending money. Poch done what klopp said didn't have to be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Poch done more with a lesser squad ,Klopp even had to flip flop on his statement about spending money. Poch done what klopp said didn't have to be done?

More? He finished second to Liverpool in the CL and finished behind City, Liverpool and Chelsea in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Behave Poch did not do more. It was a toss up between Klopp and pep but the Barca game and Cl win shaded it for Klopp.

rob316 wrote: »
    Behave Poch did not do more. It was a toss up between Klopp and pep but the Barca game and Cl win shaded it for Klopp.

Klopp lost 4 games out of 13 in one competition alone (the one he won), 7 defeats in total in all competitions, and won 1 trophy. 7 defeats in 53 games.

Pep lost 6 in total, 4 in the Premier League & 2 in the Champions league. Won 4 trophies from 66 games.

There was no shading to be done, there was no contest. Pep by far had the more outstanding season & deserved the award but he knew & all of us knew he wouldn’t get it.

Klopp lost 4 games out of 13 in one competition alone (the one he won), 7 defeats in total in all competitions, and won 1 trophy. 7 defeats in 53 games.

Pep lost 6 in total, 4 in the Premier League & 2 in the Champions league. Won 4 trophies from 66 games.

There was no shading to be done, there was no contest. Pep by far had the more outstanding season & deserved the award but he knew & all of us knew he wouldn’t get it.

I highly doubt the voters last night put much stock in the FA Cup, Carabo Cup or Charity Shield victories.

So as far as they are concerned Pep won the PL and Klopp won the CL. They would have also seen that Klopp finished 1 point behind City even though City have the better squad.

Previous winners were Deschamps (World Cup), Zidane (CL), Raneri (PL) and Enrique (CL). So it usually goes to the CL winner or something outstanding.

Like the other poster said it was a toss up who got it.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I highly doubt the voters last night put much stock in the FA Cup, Carabo Cup or Charity Shield victories.

So as far as they are concerned Pep won the PL and Klopp won the CL. They would have also seen that Klopp finished 1 point behind City even though City have the better squad.

Previous winners were Deschamps (World Cup), Zidane (CL), Raneri (PL) and Enrique (CL). So it usually goes to the CL winner or something outstanding.

Like the other poster said it was a toss up who got it.

Very debatable to say City have a better squad seeing as City have only 1 player (Ederson) in the top 5 of their respected positions as voted for last night so something somewhere seriously isn’t adding up.

• Advertisement

Very debatable to say City have a better squad seeing as City have only 1 player (Ederson) in the top 5 of their respected positions as voted for last night so something somewhere seriously isn’t adding up.

Well for me B Silva should have been in in place of Hazard. And did you actually see the voting? It was like something from 2015/2016 with some of the players named.

But squad wise yes, City had the better back ups. First 11s were fairly evenly matched though.

KDB, B Silva, Gundogen, D Silva, Fernandinho for 3 spots (am I missing someone?) in midfield.

Sterling, Sane, Mahrez, Augero, Jesus for three spots up front.
    You had had Walker and Danilo for RB and Mendy for LB with Zinchenko as back up.

If Liverpool lost any of their front three it was down to Origi to fill in. As much as I love him all you back ups are better. We had no cover at RB or LB so we had a CB and a CM to fill in there when needed.

Both back up keepers were dodgy so we won't mention them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I wouldn't give that best squad much thought. Marcelo, De Ligt and Ramos made up the back 4. I would of went Trent/Kimmich - Van Dijk - Laporte - Robertson

It's a lesson though to remember how big the CL is and how much it influences these awards.

I wouldn't give that best squad much thought. Marcelo, De Ligt and Ramos made up the back 4. I would of went Trent/Kimmich - Van Dijk - Laporte - Robertson

It's a lesson though to remember how big the CL is and how much it influences these awards.

I would have had Kimmich or Cancelo at RB. De Ligt just shaved it over Laporte but very close call between them.

Hopefully we dont play too many games this year in that awful piece of crap jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And how much it influences opinions in general. There's an awful lot of football out there, and most people simply don't have the time to catch more than the highlights of most games. But when Champions League matches roll around, everyone is tuned in for the full 90 minutes. Anything that happens in the CL simply carries more weight.

Thought KDB was next level that half ,some of his passes are crazy. Mahrez looks good aswell .

I always feel if the first 'play' Mahrez has in the game is good, he goes well, if he has a dud touch or something negative happens he over compensates or something.

Good win, always have a bad feeling when they go to Goodison Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

I always feel if the first 'play' Mahrez has in the game he goes well, if he has a dud touch or something negative happens he over compensates or something.

Good win, always have a bad feeling when they go to Goodison Park

Yep, a good one to get out of the way

Cant see a banana skin tonight, Win and hopefully they put a few away. Resting players later could be key while other teams will have to play there main team.

• Advertisement

Be back after the international break I read. No big deal with the injury.

Is he our new Kompany. He was playing so well .

Be back after the international break I read. No big deal with the injury.

yeah, phew. It is worrying how he seems to keep picking up injuries though

Poor from the start today.

Not going to win much with that defence. Just hope we are still in the cup competitions when Sane and Laporte return and go hell for leather for those 3.

Would rather see Garcia played at CB instead of Otamendi now too.

Poor from the start today.

Not going to win much with that defence. Just hope we are still in the cup competitions when Sane and Laporte return and go hell for leather for those 3.

Would rather see Garcia played at CB instead of Otamendi now too.

It's October !!

It's October !!

I know, I know.But I just feel unless one of Liverpool's 3 attackers or VVD suffers a long injury or they stop getting the luck they have been getting we can't catch them.

I would worry big time Liverpool's attack against City too and that would be a must win game

I know, I know.But I just feel unless one of Liverpool's 3 attackers or VVD suffers a long injury or they stop getting the luck they have been getting we can't catch them.

I would worry big time Liverpool's attack against City too and that would be a must win game
    Liverpool look wrecked out there after 60 minutes , that will catch up with them. There bad run will come and don't forget we play them twice and could easy half that points total with that if not more .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I wonder if the players have the idea of "let's try and concentrate on the CL this year" in the back of their minds. I know Pep would never let them say so openly but there have been a lot of sluggish performances in the PL already.

That, or our makeshift defence just can't cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Luck.

Love it.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Luck.

Love it.

I would say Liverpool are extremely lucky with injuries , it all part and parcel of the game and City have got there fair share .

Advertisement