Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭feedthegoat

Silva's last premiership game for City today. What a great and low profile servant for the club. A City, no actually a Premiership legend by any standard. His ability to ride tackles and deliver telling passes is unrivalled. Pity no fans there to voice their appreciation. Another one bites the dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Pep a goner now?

Reckon he will stay for at least another year.

Even after a night's sleep I cannot believe how we got it so wrong. Another year, same mistakes and frailties in the team and selection. Roll on mid September when hope can blossom again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

Am big supporter of Pep .... but he has to hold his hands up and say he got it wrong this time. 100% his fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Masala wrote: »
    Am big supporter of Pep .... but he has to hold his hands up and say he got it wrong this time. 100% his fault

Can I ask you what you think pep needs to do to win the champions league,The spine of city's success the last 7-8 years are retiring/waning,the likes of kompany and silva gone,fernandinho aging and aguero very injury prone. What players and how many do you think Pep needs to bring in this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Can I ask you what you think pep needs to do to win the champions league,The spine of city's success the last 7-8 years are retiring/waning,the likes of kompany and silva gone,fernandinho aging and aguero very injury prone. What players and how many do you think Pep needs to bring in this summer?

Ederson - Laporte - KdB isn't a bad place to build a spine from, especially with the likes of Sterling, Foden, Bernardo and a few others around as well. City badly lack a defensive midfielder like the Fernandinho from a few years ago that allows the forwards to do their magic without being so vulnerable on the counter, even more so than Kompany in defence (though that would help as well)

Alternatively, get Nagelsmann in when Pep's contract has run out and let him weave his own set of magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

It's probably stating the obvious, but City really needed 2 good CBs last summer. Kompany leaving was a huge loss. And Stones' form just collapsed.

Looks like they're starting to address it now but that problem was sticking out like a sore thumb over 12 months ago.

I don't think Jesus is a top CF, he seems to get more joy drifting wide to the left.
    With Aguero ageing and having injury issues, City need another top class CF too imo.

Bernardo Silva I though was outstanding last season. This season his gametime was seriously reduced by Pep which to an outsider at least, was a bit of a surprise - and was another attacking weapon they missed in a lot of games.

Is Rodri a like for like replacement for Fernandinho? I don't think he has the same natural DM abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Bernardo Silva I though was outstanding last season. This season his gametime was dramatically reduced by Pep which to an outsider at least, was a bit of a surprise, and was another attacking weapon they missed in a lot of games.

A massive Liverpool fan here but am absolutely gobsmacked how Bernardo Silva hasn't rarely featured for the past few months considering how brilliant he was last season.

Recall the same with Sane last season after being arguably your best player the season before last.

Just baffled by some of Peps decisions!

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Is Rodri a like for like replacement for Fernandinho? I don't think he has the same natural DM abilities.

No, he isn't, at least not yet. Fernandinho had the knack of turning up at the exact right spot to stop a counter attack, and he sure wasn't shy of putting his foot in.

The fact that he hasn't played in DM much this season is the main reason why we have become so vulnerable to the counter attack IMHO.

Rodri is a very good player but he does not have Fernandinho's reading of the game.

• Advertisement

Comical defending yesterday resulting in such a disappointing result. Perhaps down to a threadbare squad but Pep surely has to alter
    the way we play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Comical defending yesterday resulting in such a disappointing result. Perhaps down to a threadbare squad but Pep surely has to alter
    the way we play.

I just watched "Last Dance" the Chigaco bulls / Michael Jordon doc on Neflix and it really brough home to me how he constantly pressured the squad to perform at the highest levels. I have a feeling since Kompany left we are missing that kind of presence. This for me more than the injuries and no new players explains why our standards have dropped so much.

The lack of an effective press in the leicester game (and last season) is a massive concern it was a key part of the success in the back to back PL titles.

I have faith in Pep but a part of me is begining to question is the message not getting through to the players anymore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Handy enough group. Avoided a lot of tough teams.

Handy enough group. Avoided a lot of tough teams.

Yes we should be able to top that group with games to spare, UTd got the group from hell !!!

Poor result again yesterday, had enough chances in the first half to be out of sight but we are not putting them away. Diaz looks the real deal, hope things improve.

Poor result again yesterday, had enough chances in the first half to be out of sight but we are not putting them away. Diaz looks the real deal, hope things improve.

Thought we were lucky.... on another day those Leeds chances would have gone in.

We gotta do something about a striker. We look headless in front of goal.... all ticky tacky but no real idea what to do.

You're right that we were lucky but isn't that a sad reflection of how poor we have been the last three matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You think things are bad....

I do remenber the bad old days, hence my user name, and at least united look like they are regressing but I suppose after last season I had higher expectations. Appreciate only three games in but.....

• Advertisement

Definitely their best performance this season, even Pep smiling in post match interview. Hopefully the beginning of a winning run.

Hopefully the beginning of a winning run.

Watching City throughout the 90s has left me with PTSD. Even today I can't relax until we're at least 3 goals up with less than 10 minutes to go.

Having said that, this was an excellent performance throughout. I would almost say that we even starting to look better at the back but I won't in order not to jinx it!

Watching City throughout the 90s has left me with PTSD. Even today I can't relax until we're at least 3 goals up with less than 10 minutes to go.

Having said that, this was an excellent performance throughout. I would almost say that we even starting to look better at the back but I won't in order not to jinx it!

I think the strange start to the season has hit our performance levels (and most clubs). we looked to be in preseason mode for dome of the games.

But i thnk we are starting to turnthe corner - won't be helped by having no fit striker.

With the injury to Fabhinio liverpool are going to struggle until hes back. it a real open season any one could win it at this stage !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Gabriel Jesus back being back (and looking sharp) is some real good timing. Torres has looked sharp playing as the striker but Jesus does offer so much to this team. Hopefully a starting spot against Liverpool at the weekend isn't beyond him. Not to tempt fate, but I'm pretty optimistic about our chances this weekend, don't this this Liverpool team look in great shape.

Gabriel Jesus back being back (and looking sharp) is some real good timing. Torres has looked sharp playing as the striker but Jesus does offer so much to this team. Hopefully a starting spot against Liverpool at the weekend isn't beyond him. Not to tempt fate, but I'm pretty optimistic about our chances this weekend, don't this this Liverpool team look in great shape.

Agreed with Gabby looking so sharp he is a dead cert to start, Torres did really well as a striker but as a fill in he is never going to be as good.

There is a lot of movement that top class strikers do to open space which to a certain degree is instinctual and this is why someone like Sterling does only ok there, but the team dosent look as fluid and we struggle to break teams down through the centre.

When Aguero or Jesus play we look far more dangerous as they pull the CBs all over the place.

Big game today, hopefully we can continue the form of the last few games. Would love if Sterling had a big game.

• Advertisement

Big game today, hopefully we can continue the form of the last few games. Would love if Sterling had a big game.

He didn't. Shame because yesterday a win looked on. The missed penalty was the turning point, if that goes in the 2nd half is a completely different game. Ruben Dias is a big positive though, he looks like the real thing and Jesus's goal was fantastic.

He didn't. Shame because yesterday a win looked on. The missed penalty was the turning point, if that goes in the 2nd half is a completely different game. Ruben Dias is a big positive though, he looks like the real thing and Jesus's goal was fantastic.

ya looks like we finally have a solid defence, still early days though.

I thought that we looked flat most of the game and particularly in the last 3rd seams to be a bit of an issue now. City have faded in many games this season and dont think that a poor preseason is a valid excuse anymore.

Foden should have replaced Gundogan at 70 mins that would hav give us a spark and an injection of energy which could have won the game.

Still this early in the season we are still in it and presuming we would win our game in hand only 3 pts off the top.

Aguero should be back after the break so our goal Diff shoul improve !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I really enjoyed the game, the first half was great, we where shaky for the first 15 minutes but I think we took the rest of the half. I was shocked he missed the pen , and it was a bad miss at that. Overall a draw was a fair result .

Joe Exotic wrote: »
    Foden should have replaced Gundogan at 70 mins that would hav give us a spark and an injection of energy which could have won the game.

Does anyone know what went on when Foden seemed dressed up and ready to come on just after the 80 minutes mark and yet he never came on?

Does anyone know what went on when Foden seemed dressed up and ready to come on just after the 80 minutes mark and yet he never came on?

Isnt that when De Bryune got a bang and they thought he was injured ?

• Advertisement

Isnt that when De Bryune got a bang and they thought he was injured ?

That makes sense. When I saw him dressed up I thought he was a replacement for Sterling, who had a poor game - and not for the first time against Liverpool!

Ferran Torres doing absolute bits in the Nations League against Germany. Real player on our hands.

Another goal for Torres. Easy one. But he's been great overall, so have Spain honestly.

That's the hat trick. The 3rd is the pick of the bunch, I don't know what the ceiling is on Ferran Torres but it looks incredibly high. He's off now, but this was his big arrival at national team level.

That's the hat trick. The 3rd is the pick of the bunch, I don't know what the ceiling is on Ferran Torres but it looks incredibly high. He's off now, but this was his big arrival at national team level.

Didn't get to see the game what position did he play?

From what i have seen he looks like an absolute steal at 21 Million (I think thats the fee)

Didn't get to see the game what position did he play?

From what i have seen he looks like an absolute steal at 21 Million (I think thats the fee)

Played from the right wing, terrorised Philipp Max. Though his 3rd goal right before he came off at 70 minutes was from the left. He's 20 so don't want to jinx it but he has the potential to be a player which we could build our team around in the future.

Pep signs, great news!!

Great news, the work on revamping the team has already begun, would love for him to see it through. There's no coach I'd rather at the club than Pep.

Great news, the work on revamping the team has already begun, would love for him to see it through. There's no coach I'd rather at the club than Pep.

Agreed its strange how polarising a figure Pep seems to be as far as i can see he is a nice guy who can be grumpy and defensive at times but thats it, I dont understand the hate he gets.

Does this imply anything for MEssi? will there be a preagreement signed in Jan

Agreed its strange how polarising a figure Pep seems to be as far as i can see he is a nice guy who can be grumpy and defensive at times but thats it, I dont understand the hate he gets.

Does this imply anything for MEssi? will there be a preagreement signed in Jan

Will we sign Messi for free then and just pay his wages ?

• Advertisement

Will we sign Messi for free then and just pay his wages ?

I assume so, plus a sigining on fee

I wonder how money much he would bring in in terms of advertising etc.
    Its i have heard it claimed that the top superstars can cover a lot of their wages

Not saying Messi would cover his wages just curios about it, a quick google found nothing

Great to see Fernandinho starting today, had a great game against Marséille. Not too sure how Stones will fair but c'mon City, we need to win this derby, means a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Could you ever have imagined a derby as grim as this

Ágh Mahrez.........

Ágh Mahrez.........

He should have done alot better .Boring enough game.

What an awful game, waste of 90 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Why is Laporte not starting anymore?

What an awful game, waste of 90 minutes

Ya.... will never get that time back. Was gonna go for a “ substantial meal” and a few pints in local pub to watch that only that they said they were booked out. Thank god I saved my money.... I didn’t even open a can at home.

Will City be more attack minded this evening, Foden and/or Silva to start?

• Advertisement

Hopefully though im not confident.

Pep appears to have settled on the double pivot as a way of shoring up the defence. I'd argue that while that was needed for a good while we are fairly solid at the back now (even stones appears to be playing well).

I think, for what its worth, that he should start Foden along side De Brunye to help him out and keep sterling on the right to keep width, torres on the left for same.

We need to go back to spreading out the defence so that we can get through the centre, the way we have attacked lately has been far too often through a packed middle with usually De Bryune on his own.

Advertisement