Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭feedthegoat

Joe Exotic wrote: »
    Hopefully though im not confident.

Pep appears to have settled on the double pivot as a way of shoring up the defence. I'd argue that while that was needed for a good while we are fairly solid at the back now (even stones appears to be playing well).

I think, for what its worth, that he should start Foden along side De Brunye to help him out and keep sterling on the right to keep width, torres on the left for same.

We need to go back to spreading out the defence so that we can get through the centre, the way we have attacked lately has been far too often through a packed middle with usually De Bryune on his own.

Using the double pivot against strong counter attacking teams may make sense but you would hope that we can get back to a more free flowing attack against lesser teams. As you mention, the improved central defense should make this possible.

Another disappointing result, Gundogan had a good game as had their goalie but where do we go from here, teams have us sussed and we cannot finish the chances we get. Frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

We are atrocious. Abs awful. Wba full value. Pep has turned into stuart pearce. Its some of the worst football in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Maybe they collectively decided to concentrate on the CL instead?
    I can't think of any other reason why we didn't start playing until the 90th minutes otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

I dont understand why Pep is persisting with De bryune in the centre on his own, so easy to mark out of it.

Put Foden or silva beside De Bryune in a 4-1-2-3 formation with Sterling right and Torres/Foden left get them to stay wide or if they are cutting in the fullback on the overlap get back to creating space the way we used to.

I can only assume he thinks tha system is too open and we are not as good attacking as we used to be so the "we will out-score you" method wont work.

Perhaps this is with the CL in mind as the big problem with this tactic is against teams who wont come out and attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Gotta say, I’m enjoying watching a solid defence.

loobylou wrote: »
    Gotta say, I’m enjoying watching a solid defence.

Make no mistake, that was an excellent result against a very good team in fine form. But I must have missed the memo. When exactly did we turn into the team that sits back, defends and hits the likes of Southampton on the counter?

Cancelo having a great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Cancelo having a great game

Yeah ,Kev not so much he's droped a gear or two .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

It's just starting to click the last few games. Really enjoyed the 1st half with Sterling out right. 90 minutes of control last night.

• Advertisement

Cracks showing in Liverpool, with Aguero back we take the lead sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Cracks showing in Liverpool, with Aguero back we take the lead sooner rather than later.

Still have 2 games in hand we have to win !! Lets not count the point before we have them

That's more like it, hope we can press on and get a third

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So much better

A good win finally

Pep showing much more energy and enthusiasm

For the first 10 minutes I was fearing the worst. Great performance after that, though it was definitely a good time to play Chelsea.

We're finally starting to click properly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Here we go! Great win, strong performances from everyone, it's been getting better and better for weeks and it all came together today. The fixtures are very kind for January, and I'm starting to get that feeling that the league title might be on the way. Not to tempt fate though.

That was more like watching City, took more chances today and that made all the difference

After the silly pass back we had that game . Great performance by the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

After the silly pass back we had that game . Great performance by the team.

and the lucky penalty escape at 0-0! :p

• Advertisement

Well, well, well - Ings scores an early cracker

Well, well, well - Ings scores an early cracker

That will do nicely ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

News filtering through that Colin bell has passed away.
    R.I.P Nijinsky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Confirmed by the club....

https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/1346535763404591106?s=19

I was lucky enough to see him play. The guy was pure class. No City player got anywhere near him in terms of quality until Dave showed up. And, of course, KDB. RIP Colin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Saw him “live” back in 1974, a 1-0 home win against Stoke. Class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The best tribute anyone could do tonight would be to score a hattrick against United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just dropping in from the Arsenal forum to pay tribute to an amazing guy. A real gent.

I was a ball boy and steward for the Gunners for many years and every year he was at Highbury he'd make a point to speak to all the ball boys, that meant a huge amount to us. Later got to know him slightly better as a steward. A nicer guy you couldn't meet and one heck of a natural talent. He epitomised everything a world class player should be, may he rest in peace.

City look in charge here, love Foden , he is hungry , wants to be involved and not afraid .

• Advertisement

Yes, you beauty Stones....

Yes, yes, yes

Yes, yes, yes

Will deserved win , only one team in it.

Absolutely, City deserved to win. Hopefully can maintain this form in the coming games, defence immense.

Absolutely, City deserved to win. Hopefully can maintain this form in the coming games, defence immense.

Dias to chip in with a goal or two and we really done well with that transfer

All over the shop very sloppy

Ugly win

• Advertisement

Say, have the team decided collectively that penalties are unsporting?
    The amount of penalties we have missed the last few months is just unreal, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who basically expected Raheem to miss last night before he even kicked it.

It's just bizarre that we have all those world class players in the squad and none of them seem to be able to hit the target from 12 yards consistently! Apparently Ederson is the best penalty taker in the squad but Pep obviously doesn't want to risk that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Why didn’t De Bruyne take the penalty. ???

Say, have the team decided collectively that penalties are unsporting?
    The amount of penalties we have missed the last few months is just unreal, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who basically expected Raheem to miss last night before he even kicked it.

It's just bizarre that we have all those world class players in the squad and none of them seem to be able to hit the target from 12 yards consistently! Apparently Ederson is the best penalty taker in the squad but Pep obviously doesn't want to risk that.

Everyone knew he would miss, pep, the players, heck i bet he even knew he would miss. Him and jesus were awful when they came on. Sterling has literally no confidence, he has had a couple of one on ones lately where he miraculously hasnt even managed to get a shot off. No idea what’s happened him. He could probably start by cutting his hair as that coincides till when he went really poor. I know his finishing has never been the best but hes usually always a threat, hes literally nothing at the minute.

Good win all the same. Great stuff from the defence. Id never imagine a defence with stones cancelo and zinch would do so well, huge credit to dias for that.

We are in a great position, grind out the next few wins at home and we are laughing.

I read somewhere that if we go all the way in all comps we are playing twice a week til end of season(this was before the league cup semi).

Who do we want to win sunday? I still see liverpool as our biggest rival so a draw followed by united win is my preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Why would you want Liverpool out of the cup? I'd want my biggest rival to have as many games as possible to have to play, especially given the injury issues.

POKERKING wrote: »
    Who do we want to win sunday? I still see liverpool as our biggest rival so a draw followed by united win is my preference.

I really tried last year. But it doesn't work. I just can't get myself to cheer on united, no matter what the league table says and what result would be better for us. Come on Liverpool!
    .G. wrote: »
    Why would you want Liverpool out of the cup? I'd want my biggest rival to have as many games as possible to have to play, especially given the injury issues.

Sunday is a Premier League fixture, not the cup.

• Advertisement

I really tried last year. But it doesn't work. I just can't get myself to cheer on united, no matter what the league table says and what result would be better for us. Come on Liverpool!

Both as bad as each other, I think the last couple of years slightly shades liverpool over united as a team i dislike more. Maybe because united have been irrelevant for about 8 years, might change if they start to get a bit of success.

I'm aware of that but he said a draw on Sunday "followed by a united win" so presumed he was talking about the cup game the week after too.

.G. wrote: »
    I'm aware of that but he said a draw on Sunday "followed by a united win" so presumed he was talking about the cup game the week after too.

No i meant in order of my preference of results:

1st preference Draw
    2nd preference United win

POKERKING wrote: »
    No i meant in order of my preference of results:

1st preference Draw
    2nd preference United win

Ah right!

Good result

Let's hope we can follow that good result up with one of our own😊

On our way now, Stones is a new man the last few games

Some ball from KDB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Some ball from KDB

Souness making a complete tit of himself again at HT, about time they put that lad out to pasture for good.

What a goooooal......

• Advertisement
Advertisement