Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for first plane ride..

Options
  • 31-12-2017 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

First trip abroad with then 7 month old baby.
    Has anybody any tips for us?
    ( How many hand luggage bags allowed? Formula premade in bottles allowed? Etc)
    We are flying from Dub airport with Aer lingus..

I'll have an umbrella buggy, which I plan on bringing up to the plane with us instead of leaving at check in desk :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have a read here: https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/airport-security/faqs

Be sure that you are able to feed baby at take-off time, as the sucking action facilitates adjustment of internal air pressure in the ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Sienaa

We are just back from holidays and had our first flight at 3 months and back at 4 months.
    Definitely agree with feeding at take off and landing - my one didn't make a sound, but there were few cryers on plane.
    Also make sure you have some entertainment for baby. At 3 months my one was slept the whole way through, but coming back we had some toys to keep him entertained as he learned to hold and chew stuff.
    Blanket or extra layers of clothing is a must it could get cold especially on evening/ night flights. Also had a thin pillow to rest his head on /to put against the side wall.
    We were flying with Ryanair and were allowed two baby equipment items and 1 baby bag for him not sure what's airlingus policy. Also we had priority boarding and nobody even checked what bags we had.
    In Dublin airport you can take pram/ stroller right up to the steps of the plane and collect them from there on your way back. In the other airport we collected the pram from baggage belt inside airport, but were aloud to take the pram to the plane on the way back. Also don't forget to check in the pram/stroller.

Security wise give your self plenty of time, we arrived two hours earlier and just made it to the gate on time. It took ages to go through security with only two families before us, yes you get to go to the the family line, but don't get excited it takes ages to go through. We didn't have any baby food as I'm breastfeeding, but I packed all the baby medicines liquid and tablets in clear plastic bag and there were no problems with it whatsoever, just had to show them.

For the next flight I'm definitely buying the comfort seat. He took up both my and my husbands lap to sleep, he is quite tall I must say. Can't imagine how I would manage flying solo with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

Sienaa wrote: »
    We are just back from holidays and had our first flight at 3 months and back at 4 months.
    Definitely agree with feeding at take off and landing - my one didn't make a sound, but there were few cryers on plane.
    Also make sure you have some entertainment for baby. At 3 months my one was slept the whole way through, but coming back we had some toys to keep him entertained as he learned to hold and chew stuff.
    Blanket or extra layers of clothing is a must it could get cold especially on evening/ night flights. Also had a thin pillow to rest his head on /to put against the side wall.
    We were flying with Ryanair and were allowed two baby equipment items and 1 baby bag for him not sure what's airlingus policy. Also we had priority boarding and nobody even checked what bags we had.
    In Dublin airport you can take pram/ stroller right up to the steps of the plane and collect them from there on your way back. In the other airport we collected the pram from baggage belt inside airport, but were aloud to take the pram to the plane on the way back. Also don't forget to check in the pram/stroller.

Security wise give your self plenty of time, we arrived two hours earlier and just made it to the gate on time. It took ages to go through security with only two families before us, yes you get to go to the the family line, but don't get excited it takes ages to go through. We didn't have any baby food as I'm breastfeeding, but I packed all the baby medicines liquid and tablets in clear plastic bag and there were no problems with it whatsoever, just had to show them.

For the next flight I'm definitely buying the comfort seat. He took up both my and my husbands lap to sleep, he is quite tall I must say. Can't imagine how I would manage flying solo with him.

Great advice thank you. Did you have a lightweight stroller with u? What is the comfort seat? Is it something they lie flat in? Good tip 're a little pillow., I'll definetly bring one

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bring a blanket , two trays folded down make a great bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Some airlines give you the option of booking an extra seat for an infant at the full seat price. The idea is that you have your child in your lap for takeoff and landing and use the seat during the rest of the flight.

Well at least they say they do - Ryanair make it incredibly difficult. My husband tried to book one for our son for a trip back to Ireland in November, my son will be 2 in March and is very tall for his age (has been in age 2-3 clothes since 19 months purely for length) and my husband is over 6ft. Even after doing everything he could on the site and using the live chat he gave up and just booked the little fella as a lap infant,

Our first flight with the small fella was at 4 months - Heathrow to Dublin on BA. Easy peasy. BA and Aer Lingus let parents with young children board early in general. Easyjet moved us into the priority line at Luton when flying to Rome as well as soon as they saw a baby.

Breastfeeding makes life so easy when travelling, no need for extra security time while they check your ready to feed formula etc, it was almost "crap! what do we do?" on the first trip after we stopped!

I highly recommend a baby carrier for the airport as well, and for city breaks if your child is under around 1 or around 10kg I'd recommend just using that for the whole trip and not bothering with a buggy.

We avoid very early or very late flights like the plague. The earliest we'll consider is a 9:30am flight out, the latest we'll consider is around 7pm and that would be for UK to Ireland flights. Lunchtime is nice because it's his usual naptime, if he's tired getting on the plane and has some milk at takeoff then it's quite likely he'll sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 franzilein

My 2-year-old is a frequent flyer and I usually fly alone with him. It's not a big deal really if you're organized. When he was a baby I made sure to arrive at the airport 2.5 hours before the flight to allow for feeds, nappy changes etc. From my experience kids know they have to play along in those situations and don't act up (at least mine never did). Bringing formula is no problem at all, just take it out of your bag when you go through security. As others have said, nobody seems to check how many bags you bring when you're travelling with small children. I once brought a cabin wheely bag, a nappy bag, a handbag and a shopping bag! I always tried to feed him during take off and landing, but he was usually asleep before the plane actually took off. He has never had any problems with his ears though.

Blndbby wrote: »
    Great advice thank you. Did you have a lightweight stroller with u? What is the comfort seat? Is it something they lie flat in? Good tip 're a little pillow., I'll definetly bring one

Comfort seat is what rainbow Kirby said.
    I had a travel systems pram with me as he's only 4 months, but it was a cheap one would not dare to take expensive one as it could be damaged.

Also agreed with sling/ baby carrier. We had one too with us forgot to mention. It was a life saver. We had most of the bags in pram and baby in sling at the airport, didn't even have to take him out at the security. Also it made it easier to carry him onto plain also. Only thing, get a good carrier you won't be sorry. We actually rented Ergobaby adapt carrier from babywearing library to try it out first was only 10e for month. And totally fell in love, he spent a lot of time in there. We are actually going to buy the cool air mesh one as it is more light weight for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

Sienaa wrote: »
    Comfort seat is what rainbow Kirby said.
    I had a travel systems pram with me as he's only 4 months, but it was a cheap one would not dare to take expensive one as it could be damaged.

Also agreed with sling/ baby carrier. We had one too with us forgot to mention. It was a life saver. We had most of the bags in pram and baby in sling at the airport, didn't even have to take him out at the security. Also it made it easier to carry him onto plain also. Only thing, get a good carrier you won't be sorry. We actually rented Ergobaby adapt carrier from babywearing library to try it out first was only 10e for month. And totally fell in love, he spent a lot of time in there. We are actually going to buy the cool air mesh one as it is more light weight for summer.

I have a wrap style sling , I'll definetly be packing that. I've actually rented a lightweight buggy from a company in the airport called Stork Exchange so that's handy too cause out girl doesn't love being in the sling . I suppose if I wear it more over the coming weeks and get her used to it again it will help

Blndbby wrote: »

I have a wrap style sling , I'll definetly be packing that. I've actually rented a lightweight buggy from a company in the airport called Stork Exchange so that's handy too cause out girl doesn't love being in the sling . I suppose if I wear it more over the coming weeks and get her used to it again it will help

My son didn't like the wrap either, I think he was too hot in it and also it restricted his hand movements, but the soft structured carrier he loves. He even has dedicated a sound to it, when he wants to be carried he would repeat it until he sees I am picking the sling up and then he lets out this big hearty laugh. I know he has me wrapped around his finger :D

Advertisement