Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of laptop use = dry eyes. Will a big screen further away improve this?

Options
  • 31-12-2017 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I use a laptop or computer pretty much constantly.
    For work, and my hobbies + watching films and so on

Apparently this causes my eyes to dry out because when I focus on a glowing screen close to my face I do not blink enough. this has caused my eyes to become scratched as they are not lubricated enough by tears.

Ive been told to look into the distance every 20 minutes and blink 20 times to help with this. also apply eye-drops.

One thing I was wondering about is, what if I replaced my small screen close to my face, with a really big screen a few metres from me? It would occupy the same space in my vision but I would now be focusing several metres away from me rather than c 1/2 a metre.
    Would this help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm guessing it's not the distance but the time you spend unblinking.

When I do a lot of screen intensive work I take regular breaks away from the screen. Go do something that doesn't involve a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

Anyone tried the special glasses to help relieve eye strain when working with computers?
    Something like these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00RJ3OYWG/ref=mp_s_a_1_14_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1514715376&sr=8-14&keywords=computer+anti+glare+glasses

Most IT workers with prescription glasses will often get these coatings and I assume avoid contacts for even use.

But I suspect there will be no avoiding reducing your screen tone.

Time

Editing posting doesn't work for me on mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Look into glasses with anti glare coating even if you don't have glasses it shouldn't be much without a prescription

Plus as old school as it is, I've learned the whole taking a regular break from the screen is best

• Advertisement

I find looking out a window or walking around the block even for 5 mins helps a lot.

I used to do a lot of drawing and design on computers that was hard on the eyes. Programming isn't as intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Tilt your screen down a bit...forces you to blink.

I find a larger screen does help. But still need to take breaks

Advertisement