Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Airport - News & Updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Tuesday fortnight tgere was two private jets in before the Dublin flight. Crew got picked up in a minibus, very smart looking red uniform by the cabin crew member. One can only dream to have that sort of money

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Busy morning again N111CQ & N7325 both in this morning, fine looking livery on N7325.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Seems to be a Dornier 328 in almost daily now.. D-BJET

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

2 Gulfstreams, the Dornier 328 jet (D-BJET), and a Loganair Embraer on the ground this afternoon.

D-BJET seems be doing returns from Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

D-BJET finished now.

• Advertisement

Any idea what it was doing? There was some kind of temporary Audi sponsored event tent in the short term car park so I am wondering if there is a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

The better 1/2 is after booking the kerry to dublin flight as she got it cheaper then the train up.

How early does she need to be in kerry airport for? A hour or so?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The better 1/2 is after booking the kerry to dublin flight as she got it cheaper then the train up.

How early does she need to be in kerry airport for? A hour or so?.

I get that regularly enough for work. I'm normally there at 6.45. Security opens about then. So an hour for your girlfriend would be fine ( provided she's not checking a bag).

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

SeaFields wrote: »
    I get that regularly enough for work. I'm normally there at 6.45. Security opens about then. So an hour for your girlfriend would be fine ( provided she's not checking a bag).

Thanks for that.

She fells very posh getting a plane from kerry to dublin like her own jet :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

embraer170 wrote: »
    Any idea what it was doing? There was some kind of temporary Audi sponsored event tent in the short term car park so I am wondering if there is a link.

Audi had a press launch for a new model Q7 and some other engine options launching in the A6, where the journalists from around the world were driving them around Kerry. I understand they were flying them in and out via Germany on one of their jets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

SeaFields wrote: »

In my 20 + years of going between Tralee and Dublin, I've never actually taken that flight. I always feel that by the time you allow 30 minutes to get to the airport, an hour or more to check in at DUB just to ensure you don't have massive security queues (or an hour at Kerry per advice above), 45 minutes flight and taxi-ing and then having to get someone to drive a distance to collect you in Farranfore almost negates the actual saved time. KIR-DUB might be quicker than DUB-KIR as you don't have security queues.

I can drive door to door in just under 3.5 hours outside of Naas Road and Adare rush hour which amounts to a journey time not much longer than end to end by air (longer of course during bad traffic or if I need to make a rest/refreshment stop). I should however try it once just to see....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

ongarboy wrote: »

In my 20 + years of going between Tralee and Dublin, I've never actually taken that flight. I always feel that by the time you allow 30 minutes to get to the airport, an hour or more to check in at DUB just to ensure you don't have massive security queues (or an hour at Kerry per advice above), 45 minutes flight and taxi-ing and then having to get someone to drive a distance to collect you in Farranfore almost negates the actual saved time. KIR-DUB might be quicker than DUB-KIR as you don't have security queues.

I can drive door to door in just under 3.5 hours outside of Naas Road and Adare rush hour which amounts to a journey time not much longer than end to end by air (longer of course during bad traffic or if I need to make a rest/refreshment stop). I should however try it once just to see....

Assuming you check in online then arriving to security in KIR with 35 mins before take off has been ample anytime I’ve used the flight but depending on how far you are from KIR (I’m 15 mins away) and your final destination in Dublin it might slower or quite a bit faster. I’ve used it quite a bit but almost always just to connect to another flight from Dublin

Dublin used to have Regional flight security queue (ie almost no queue) but I think this is gone so you’d certainly need at least an hour - I took it last Saturday and gave myself 1 hr 10mins and arrived to the gate as it was boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have a vague memory that domestic passengers still get fast track included but its not shouted about because they'd prefer if you didn't use it. Introduced because airlines threatened to pull the services entirely due to check in times making them unviable against buses. This was when there were still flights to Sligo and Galway.

I wouldn't go relying on that because I can't find anything at all online to confirm it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

The flight up isn’t too bad considering you can get into Kerry last minute but dub to kir is pointless compared to the train if your in the city. Last time I flew that route we were taxing for well over the hour.

Total chaos in the Kerry departures lounge yesterday with two full Ryanair flights leaving at the same time. Absolutely nowhere to stand in any kind of comfort, with people going through security stuck and unable to move forward to the cafe/shop.

On the other hand, both security screening lanes were open so that part went rather quickly.
    L1011 wrote: »
    I have a vague memory that domestic passengers still get fast track included but its not shouted about because they'd prefer if you didn't use it. Introduced because airlines threatened to pull the services entirely due to check in times making them unviable against buses. This was when there were still flights to Sligo and Galway.

I wouldn't go relying on that because I can't find anything at all online to confirm it though.

I have not tried recently but the official answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

L1011 wrote: »

YES.... there is a still a Fast-Trak desk at Security at Dublin airport that is available on the Dublin-Kerry flight on showing your Boarding Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

ongarboy wrote: »

I use the train as well but if I have meetings scheduled for that side of the city I arrange them for one of the airport hotels. Walk from T2 and back again. Have grub afterwards in departures and walk to the gate. The regional flights always go from the same place so get a coffee there and watch Netflix on the phone before boarding. I find it more relaxing than the train, especially on what would be busy train times - Fridays, etc.

Masala wrote: »
    YES.... there is a still a Fast-Trak desk at Security at Dublin airport that is available on the Dublin-Kerry flight on showing your Boarding Card.

Someone should tell the Dublin airport social media team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0710/1061247-fly-kerry-to-dublin/

Interesting little clip about the launch of KIR -DUB scheduled services 40 years ago.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Faro flight next summer with the planned closure of the Ryanair base there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Faro flight next summer with the planned closure of the Ryanair base there.

Faro only operates for 4 months in the summer twice weekly. Always well supported with a lot of repeat business. Ryanair can see the demand and rather than lose the business - they might put on a Malaga or a Palma and the people will just switch over. Could be an ill wind for Kerry passengers.....

Busy evening in Kerry. N800HH, D-CJMK, N445BJ and N488VC all in in the last half hour.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/kerry-td-says-off-shore-drilling-oil-ceased-temporarily/

The oil exploration off the coast has been suspended. G-VINT and G-MCSA positioned back to Aberdeen last Friday.

Kerry Airport are in negotiations with Loganair to start a route to Edinburgh next summer.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/hopes-flights-kerry-airport-edinburgh-will-operational-next-summer/

Also, they hope the oil and gas exploration will return in 2021.

marno21 wrote: »
    Kerry Airport are in negotiations with Loganair to start a route to Edinburgh next summer.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/hopes-flights-kerry-airport-edinburgh-will-operational-next-summer/

Also, they hope the oil and gas exploration will return in 2021.

I wonder if Edinburgh has a greater chance of success than Liverpool and Manchester (tried twice).

189 seat Boeing 737s were probably too big for Liverpool, but the Manchester flights were only Aer Arann ATR42s I think.

I wonder if Edinburgh has a greater chance of success than Liverpool and Manchester (tried twice).

189 seat Boeing 737s were probably too big for Liverpool, but the Manchester flights were only Aer Arann ATR42s I think.

Ya... but Aer Arann went bust (receivership) and so no fault on Kerry on flights been pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Ya... but Aer Arann went bust (receivership) and so no fault on Kerry on flights been pulled.

Aer Arann never entered receivership nor went ''bust'' it entered examinership and successfully exited it, was subsequently renamed Stobart Air following a change in shareholdings.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Aer Arann never entered receivership nor went ''bust'' it entered examinership and successfully exited it, was subsequently renamed Stobart Air following a change in shareholdings.

Whatever it was called.... caused the end of the Manchester service to Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Whatever it was called.... caused the end of the Manchester service to Kerry

Which was a marginal route of no significant importance to Aer Arann's route structure and as it was then loss making, it was cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

N673MM on the way in

Advertisement