Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redirection Of Post

Options
  • 31-12-2017 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how this works and is it successful?

I am seeking to redirect mail from a previous address to the current one.

The post is being marked as 'Unknown at this address' despite the fact that i am indeed known there.

Will this impact on the post reaching me?

If this is in the wrong forum please move.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Cork Truck Driver-

If you contact An Post- they can organise to redirect any post with your name on it- to your new address.
    Typically they do this for a specified period of time (the presumption being you'll contact anyone who uses your old address and ensure they update the address on their systems). Usual is 3 months.

If the current occupant is marking post as 'not known at this address' and sending them back- they'll be returned to the sender- who may either try to contact you by another method- or just as likely- may mark your record on their database as 'dormant' and stop sending you mail.

It isn't fair of the current occupant to return your post as unknown- however, it would be illegal for them to open it- and depending on when you were last resident in the property- its not really fair that you didn't make sure your address details were updated with (whoever it is who is still sending you mail at your old address).

All you can really do is try to ascertain who is still using your old address- contact them- and ensure they update their contact details for you. Vis-a-vis the current inhabitant of the old property- politely asking them to hold post and maybe give them a bottle of wine or something for their hassle.

Its a messy situation- however, ultimately- its up to you to make sure the post going to your old address- stops going to your old address.

Can you not call around and tell the person to cop on and that you will call every now and again and collect your post?

I still have post coming to a pervious rental as it suits me to use that address, I'm still friendly with the old housemates and I pop around every so often to collect my post. In fact I usually get a text to let me know if something has arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Can you not call around and tell the person to cop on and that you will call every now and again and collect your post?

I still have post coming to a pervious rental as it suits me to use that address, I'm still friendly with the old housemates and I pop around every so often to collect my post. In fact I usually get a text to let me know if something has arrived.

It’s my family who are doing it.

We had a disagreement as families do, I made a request to forward on to my new address which I gave them, yet these letters are being returned as “unknown at this address”

There was a letter offering a medical appointment sent there, I wasn’t expecting it so soon and it came and went. I’m now on a waiting list to be reallocated an appointment as a result.

I’ve changed my address for all the major stuff but things will always slip under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

An Post redirection worked well for me when we moved house. From memory I think it cost somewhere around €70-€100 for six months redirection. When your mail gets to the local sorting office it is restickered with your new address so it never gets delivered to the old address.

April 73 wrote: »
    An Post redirection worked well for me when we moved house. From memory I think it cost somewhere around €70-€100 for six months redirection. When your mail gets to the local sorting office it is restickered with your new address so it never gets delivered to the old address.

Oh it never hits the old address?

That is fantastic.

Thank you so much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Oh it never hits the old address?

That is fantastic.

Thank you so much :)

That's the theory but the reality is at least some stuff will slip through. It's a few years since I used it but it was bloody awful back then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Bear in mind there's some items that can't be redirected...registered letters and parcels.

If not in the same delivery service unit there will be a delay

amtc wrote: »
    Bear in mind there's some items that can't be redirected...registered letters and parcels.

If not in the same delivery service unit there will be a delay

The parcels bit i knew, didn't know about the registered letters.

I think the delay would be 1 day longer than if it were delivered to the original address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's because registered letters are required to be delivered to the address not the addressee, so have to be delivered as addressed. Interestingly (or not) this is a significant change from the UK and rest of EU. They also only have a three day period before being returned to sender.

Also be aware that all variants of the name must be on the application or both if joint names.

Essentially with redirection a slip is put in the frame at the dsu so when throwing up the postal worker should take it out of their route and transfer it to the new route. It may have to go back to a mail centre.

There is a special team in An Post customer services dealing with Redirections if you need more help.

It may be easier if you're not expecting a huge amount of urgent mail to have your mail minded. Same price though for Mailminder and you'd have to pick it up sporadically.

Advertisement