Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

65" 4k lg oled for 2k

• 31-12-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Saw a managers special yesterday in harvey normans castlebar (thought i posted this yesterday) which seems like a great deal if there are no snags in a managers special.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Without even seeing the model I would avoid because I'm 110% sure you'll get it much cheaper elsewhere.

Without even seeing the model I would avoid because I'm 110% sure you'll get it much cheaper elsewhere.

You won't. 65'' OLEDs start at about €3,000.

Edit: I assume the specific model is this one. From a quick search the cheapest price you can get it right now is ~€2700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That's a fantastic offer. Nearly bought the 55inch C7 before Christmas but was put off but a number of reports of burn in. The tech still doesn't seem there yet. Shame, as the picture quality is absolutely stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

That's a fantastic offer. Nearly bought the 55inch C7 before Christmas but was put off but a number of reports of burn in. The tech still doesn't seem there yet. Shame, as the picture quality is absolutely stunning.

I've had an OLED for the past year and have no issues with burn in, and that's with a wife and two kids who have a tendancy to pause something and walk off for an hour or so... Occasionally you might get some short term burn in, by short term I mean 5-10 seconds at most. I have the pixel shift turned on which seems to do the job and I've never noticed it in action...

The only issue with an OLED panel is once you have one you can never go without it... The pic quality is unreal, after 12 months I still watch it and it blows me away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

unklerosco wrote: »
    I've had an OLED for the past year and have no issues with burn in, and that's with a wife and two kids who have a tendancy to pause something and walk off for an hour or so... Occasionally you might get some short term burn in, by short term I mean 5-10 seconds at most. I have the pixel shift turned on which seems to do the job and I've never noticed it in action...

The only issue with an OLED panel is once you have one you can never go without it... The pic quality is unreal, after 12 months I still watch it and it blows me away.

That'd be image retention rather than burn in. Still, there's a whole thread on it on the sky forums and the AVforums gave me the fear. One year old LG? Here's one look at the B6 that totally put me off...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

That'd be image retention rather than burn in. Still, there's a whole thread on it on the sky forums and the AVforums gave me the fear. One year old LG? Here's one look at the B6 that totally put me off...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

They are running the oled insanely bright in those tests. Mine is isf calibrated to around 300 nits

They are running the oled insanely bright in those tests. Mine is isf calibrated to around 300 nits

I have an E55 for over a year now and no issues. Had the last great plasma before the oled.. Always felt the plasma lacked the punch the oled has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've a Samsung oled and it definition has problem with burn in or whatever the equivalent is for led. Can see white hues through the blacks of the screen. Mostly partially 3 edges

listermint wrote: »
    I've a Samsung oled and it definition has problem with burn in or whatever the equivalent is for led. Can see white hues through the blacks of the screen. Mostly partially 3 edges

What's model samsung is it? I didn't think Samsung made any oled.. They are using qled which is lcd

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

I have an E55 for over a year now and no issues. Had the last great plasma before the oled.. Always felt the plasma lacked the punch the oled has

I bought the 55" LG ips led which was a bargain alert on boards recently,€519 in Argos.
    It's no where near as good at displaying black,as the Panasonic 42" GT50 plasma that it's replacing.
    My brother has a LG 55" OLED B6 and the picture seems to have a lot more contrast than my led.
    But at over €1200 difference in price, I'm willing to put up with mine until the oled prices become more affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What's model samsung is it? I didn't think Samsung made any oled.. They are using qled which is lcd

You are quite right . When bought I was told something else.

Led LCD so it is. Is oled Better for image burn ?

Hard to say.. If you run any TV with really bright settings and have a static logo or image long term you may get issues..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

better in that it's more likely to happen to an OLED. It's very difficult for newer LEDs to actually burn in - hence Samsung's marketing scam of 10 year burn in warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

That's not burn in, it light bleed. Samsung Edge lit on the bottom of the screen. Only really shows up in Hdr for me. But only just. Look at rtings and use their settings will help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

That sounds more like light bleed, https://www.avforums.com/threads/led-light-bleed-normal-or-not.1728016/ Fairly common issue.

Most new TVs now are LED, what that means is the backlight source is from LED lights. They used to use CCFL lights but they're all but gone. An LCD TV needs a backlight to show the image.

An OLED TV is completely different, it doesn't need a backlight. Each pixel on the screen is it's own light source essentially. Hence the ability for them to display perfect blacks... And also be incredibly thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

unit 1 wrote: »
    Saw a managers special yesterday in harvey normans castlebar (thought i posted this yesterday) which seems like a great deal if there are no snags in a managers special.

This could be store specific, or sale of the display model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I got the TV that was in the last thread for the 65" oled.

Must say the picture quality is unbelievably good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The LG B7, C7, E7 and the rest of the lineup have software built in to take care of any image retention. There's also a 'pixel refresher' program in the settings that you can run for an hour for any extreme retention/burn in.

I picked up the E7 (55 not 65) for €1250 a few weeks ago and there's image retention only when I use it as a PC screen because of the static windows, however it only lasts about 15-20 minutes and it's gone. It's only visible when you have a grey screen on also. It doesn't affect TV viewing at all.

People on avforums had me worried it would be a big issue but it isn't. They're all just purists over there who nit pick at tiny things and make them sound like huge issues when they really aren't. They're unbelievable TVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Where did you get an E7 for that price.
    Cheapest on the B7/C7 in 55" is about €1600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Akula

Anybody have any luck getting this price elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ongarite wrote: »
    Where did you get an E7 for that price.
    Cheapest on the B7/C7 in 55" is about €1600

Reliant direct had it on sale for £1599 on November 18th.
    John Lewis are eligible for LG's £500 cashback offer for anyone who buys an E7 between November 17th and January 30th.
    I asked JL to pricematch Reliant's £1599 price which they did.

I applied for the LG cashback on December 18th (have to wait 30 days) and LG approved my cashback on December 27th. They'll be sending the £500 to my bank in the next 30 days.

So £1599 - £500 = £1099 / €1240

Some picked up the 65" and got it for €1920 after the £800 cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I have the 65b6 and it’s an amazing tv, can’t fault it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

ctlsleh wrote:
    I have the 65b6 and it’s an amazing tv, can’t fault it

Have the 65E6 model, essentially the B model with a sound bar. Wondedul TV.

Advertisement