Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best Slurry Agitator

Options
  • 31-12-2017 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Folks,

Just wondering what the best make of slurry agitator is?
    I am a small contractor and want something hassle free with large output.

I have been told by others contractors to go for a Cross Agitator as he said his doesnt block and has huge output.

I am thinking of going for the Cross brand but is there any other brands I should consider.?

Its not based on price with me. I want the best tool for the job.
    I dont want a piece of crap that breaks and blocks the whole time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭White Clover

Hi Folks,

Just wondering what the best make of slurry agitator is?
    I am a small contractor and want something hassle free with large output.

I have been told by others contractors to go for a Cross Agitator as he said his doesnt block and has huge output.

I am thinking of going for the Cross brand but is there any other brands I should consider.?

Its not based on price with me. I want the best tool for the job.
    I dont want a piece of crap that breaks and blocks the whole time.

Thanks

You got good advice there. My vote is for cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Cross are over rated. Had one and got rid of it mainly for.

1. Main drive shaft broke.
    2. Awkward to get in and out of tanks due to impeller housing size.

Go for either an NC or a plantmec pump. The key to longevity with agitators is the oil capacity of the gearbox which increases the cooling efficiency of the unit when the agitator is operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We have a cross galvanised pump from new . Have it about 17 years , got it reconditioned last year- new bearings etc- it's a great machine, edited to say we had an nc before it which didnt last as long

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My sister
    She's always stirring the shít! ;)

On a serious note I'll leave the actual advice on this one to the forum experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Who2

I bought an NC a couple of weeks back and asked every contractor around first. All said nc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lab man

Have a nc 3800 here great machine

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Have a Cross, for 5 years now, great agitator. One of the best out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

jntsnk wrote: »
    Have a Cross, for 5 years now, great agitator. One of the best out there.

Welcome to boards Simon..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭9935452

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Cross are over rated. Had one and got rid of it mainly for.

1. Main drive shaft broke.
    2. Awkward to get in and out of tanks due to impeller housing size.

Go for either an NC or a plantmec pump. The key to longevity with agitators is the oil capacity of the gearbox which increases the cooling efficiency of the unit when the agitator is operating.

I work for a contractor who used to have a cross but changed a few years back to an abbey tornado.
    No matter what they say cross agitators do block . Ours had the macerator and all.
    Blocked a lot when bales were fed.
    The frames are also prone to breaking/cracking where the vertical beams meet the horizontal beams .
    Local dealer has a jig made up to realign the frame.
    If the gearbox isn't straight the agitator will blow shear bolts for fun.

We are finding the abbey good. . Good machine to pump. Doesn't block or break shear bolts

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tractaholic

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will have a look at the Abbey agitators also so.
    I know a few of you said NC but I already had one. Never again.
    Yes they are cheap but that only makes it feel a bit better when you realize you bought a pile of scrap.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will have a look at the Abbey agitators also so.
    I know a few of you said NC but I already had one. Never again.
    Yes they are cheap but that only makes it feel a bit better when you realize you bought a pile of scrap.
    The cross will block, it doesnt like netting off bales or polythene off sialge pit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭9935452

whelan2 wrote: »
    The cross will block, it doesnt like netting off bales or polythene off sialge pit

Or unchopped/badly chopped bales of silage fed to cattle dragged into the slats and walked in .
    I was agitating for one chap who was feeding bales to cattle , he kept them well pressed into the barrier and never bothered firing out the silage they dragged into the slats.
    I was getting blocked about every 30 seconds from lumps of silage.
    Spent the day with a calving glove on clearing the agitator .

9935452 wrote: »
    Or unchopped/badly chopped bales of silage fed to cattle dragged into the slats and walked in .
    I was agitating for one chap who was feeding bales to cattle , he kept them well pressed into the barrier and never bothered firing out the silage they dragged into the slats.
    I was getting blocked about every 30 seconds from lumps of silage.
    Spent the day with a calving glove on clearing the agitator .
    Doesnt like bits of corrugated sheeting either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have a redrock here with 4 years now used regularly during the winter it's good enough. No messing with pto shafts when changing between tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

whelan2 wrote:
    Doesnt like bits of corrugated sheeting either

My nc3000 didn't like catching a chain. On the plus side I found my towing chain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Our contractor here has one called Wexman (I think, well it Wex......). Has it a few years now and it's doe a hell of a lot of stirring and very happy with it. Used on tractors from 135 to 180hp.

He had looked at number of makes but found it the best mix for capacity and relibablity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Our contractor here has one called Wexman (I think, well it Wex......). Has it a few years now and it's doe a hell of a lot of stirring and very happy with it. Used on tractors from 135 to 180hp.

He had looked at number of makes but found it the best mix for capacity and relibablity

Yeah made in kk, meant to be a serious mixer alright

Advertisement