Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network transfer speeds

Options
  • 31-12-2017 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im transferring files from a laptop to a NAS.
    Im getting less than 5 MB/s transferring.
    Laptop has a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    10/100.

Shouldn't I be getting more?
    Anything I can check

thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

The Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    10/100, can transfer data up to 100 megabits per second which is equivalent to 12.5 Megabytes per second, your getting less than half the potential speed. I find when I transfer a large file over local network that I will get near full speed but when
    I transfer loads of small files like pictures they each go at about 2 Megabytes per second.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Transferring a 10 gig file now and getting 4 to 5 MB per s.
    Anything I can use to check what is causing the bottle neck?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I find that if the file you're transferring is really badly fragmented it can dramatically reduce the transfer rate. I have a Synology NAS with gigabit Ethernet and can transfer files to it at over 100MByte/s if the source is unfragmented, but it can drop to around 35 if badly fragmented all other things being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Old NAS? Older WDs etc had a write cap of about 4MB/s purely based on the onboard controller (think of what phones were like in 2006). It may just be all its capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Check the ethernet cables ..... I recently used a Cat5 thinking it was Cat5e and was puzzled at lack of speed for a while.
    (I have no idea where that cable came from, and except it being a bit thinner it looked like the others (Cat5e) until I checked the RJ45 plugs on the ends. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Cat5=max theoretical 100Mbps
    Cat5e=max theoretical 1000Mbps
    mathie wrote: »
    Laptop has a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller 10/100
    = max theoretical 100Mbps, so laptop can not benefit from Cat5e

Most likely bottleneck is laptop HDD, but....
    What NAS(make/model) you have?
    What connection you NAS is on?
    As it was mentioned by iioklo, big files go better.
    NAS RAID configuration(in case 2+ disks) could have impact.

If you NAS Ethernet connected to consumer grade modem/router could have impact - i notice minor difference switching abilities (in my case it was Huawei B593, currently serving only Default Gateway and DHCP) is worse than between devices connected to dedicated switch.

If possible:
    1. check transfer speeds from different device to NAS
    2. introduce dedicated switch, so all/most devices would "talk" through it, avoiding modem/router switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Is the network card set to half-duplex? worth checking that first in the device manager. It should by default be set to Auto but you never know.

Advertisement