Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercising while pregnant

Options
  • 31-12-2017 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Had great plans to get back running in the new year and started couch to 5k last week, preg test confirmed today baby no 2 on the way :) I know it’s not recommended to take up sport so what can I do to keep the weight at bay? Still carrying some weight from baby no1 :( Ran up to 28 weeks in baby no1, she’s now 16 months. Haven’t done much since, the odd 5k here and there. Diet is crap so will change that for baby no2 sake so that will help but looking for some exercise(not yoga/Pilates) that you can take up that might break a sweat? Currently walk 40mins to and hour daily so like something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I’m not the most active person in the world so others may have better suggestions but a local pool runs aqua aerobics for pregnant woman and I’m considering that. I’m not fit enough to start anything too adventurous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'd try to keep up the running if you're up to it? If you were able to keep it up to 26 weeks last time, it seems to suit you (fair play as I could only keep it up to 20 weeks).

I also found small group sessions in the gym useful with a good trainer. Made sure I wasn't overlifting and built in exercises to suit different stages. Definitely helped with energy, weight maintenance and strength.

You could also build in some light hillwalking to your walks. Best of luck and congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

No reason you shouldn't keep up the running at this stage. My wife was advised she could continue doing more of less everything she is used to doing already. Don't max out on the weights. Avoid lying on your stomach. That's it really.

Swimming is an excellent total body workout if you push yourself.

Don't go taking up Rugby or other contact/combat sports obviously...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

If you are only back running since last week, it wouldn’t be safe to keep doing it as your body isn’t fit. Would you try swimming, aqua aerobics or pregnancy Pilates?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've just stopped running at 34 weeks after having to stop halfway through my New Year's Day parkrun because my pelvis was complaining, but I was running a decent bit beforehand - I ran the London Marathon the month before I conceived and I've been running regularly for almost a decade.

If you're not a regular runner though it's not the ideal time to start. Gym cardio - exercise bikes, elliptical trainer etc may be more comfortable for you and swimming is wonderful. Prenatal yoga from your second trimester onwards is good too. Strength training is really useful too - as your ligaments loosen having good muscular strength helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

I walked an hour a day Mon to Fri ( to and from work ) up to 37.5 weeks and did Erin O Brien complete pregnancy workout when I could. Got the DVD on Amazon, it is a proper workout. A lot are tame but that one is really good, quite hard to do first trimester for me as I was sick and wrecked but started it properly after about 15 weeks. It also has a postnatal section that I'm on now. Well recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just don’t overdo it. My cousin was very fit (marathons usually, dropped to 5k and 10ks during pregnancy) but ended up with the muscles being far too tight on her tummy.

She got a severe case of
    diastasis recti (abdominal separation). A 6 inch split. Very painful. A hernia developed there, basically your organs can poke through the open muscles. It can also cause lower back pain too. Can’t do much for it either until the pregnancy is over.

I know the soft mamma tummy isn’t instagramable, but it has its uses.

Advertisement