Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

September 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Just heard back from the coombe regarding the Antenatal class and unfortunately there are no Saturday one day course spots available. My boyfriend wants to do it with me and cant do the alternative morning classes.

Can anyone recommend an alternative antenatal one day class in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I felt him kicking the other night, proper strong kicks considering my wife is only 18 weeks gone. Nearly halfway there and we have a name picked for him already too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Question for non first timers, I'm looking to get an electric breastpump. I had the lend of a Medela Mini for my first baby but had to give it back, anyone used any others they would recommend? I thought the Medela mini was great if a little noisy at times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

I bought an electric pump on wish last time around for only €9 and I found it great. Plan to do the same this time. I think the manual ones are a bit of a waste of time

I bought an electric pump on wish last time around for only €9 and I found it great. Plan to do the same this time. I think the manual ones are a bit of a waste of time

I haven't used a manual but it just seems time inefficient. The medela mini was good but apparently it isn't great for heavy use. I only used it for a few weeks with my first.

• Advertisement

I didn't use mine much because I was rarely away from her and did all night feeds myself so was easier to just pop her on the boob but I'm guessing I'll get much more use this time around. Hoping to be able to let daddy partake in feeding much more this time around so I can make sure first born isn't missing mammys attention too much.

Nuts to think that we're almost halfway there already :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Just popping into from october to say I did a lot of pumping and used a variety of pumps, but couldn’t recommend the spectra double electric pump enough. So efficient, is battery-powered, has a night light for night time pumping, and is a closed system unlike most - so you can use it on subsequent babies and even sell it on when you’re done!

Just popping into from october to say I did a lot of pumping and used a variety of pumps, but couldn’t recommend the spectra double electric pump enough. So efficient, is battery-powered, has a night light for night time pumping, and is a closed system unlike most - so you can use it on subsequent babies and even sell it on when you’re done!

Thanks! What does it mean closed system?

firebird84 wrote: »
    Thanks! What does it mean closed system?

It basically just means the system is completely closed so no bits of milk can get in to the parts of the pump you can’t clean. And hence no bacteria etc, and no risk of cross-infection on subsequent babies.

Most pumps like the medela are open systems, and should be disposed of after each baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fuisce2

Naid23 wrote: »
    Just heard back from the coombe regarding the Antenatal class and unfortunately there are no Saturday one day course spots available. My boyfriend wants to do it with me and cant do the alternative morning classes.

Can anyone recommend an alternative antenatal one day class in Dublin?

Hiya, we had the same problem but the lady was lovely and recommeneded contacting the midwives in cherry orchard community centre. They run one day courses and it's exactly the same. As of our call last week, the next date she had available was July 14th though!

• Advertisement

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Has anyone decided on what buggy/travel system they are going with or those who already have one would you recommend/not recommend for any reason? You wouldn't put as much time and effort into looking for a new car!!

A bit behind in getting to this but well worth keeping an eye for a second hand system imo. We got the Baby Elegance Beep Twist system for 120euro. Blurb: Baby Elegance Beep Twist Travel System (€395 new), includes: Carry cot & cover, Dual facing reclining buggy, Car seat & cover, Frame/wheels, Rain cover. Extras included: Isofix base (€100 new), Comfort liner (€20 new), Pram hook (€5 new), Tote baby travel bag (€30 new), Very light weight system & car seat, easy to manoeuvre 4 wheel base, puncture proof tires, large carry basket.

We're not 100% about using the car seat and base but even if you exclude them, the cost is very good and they were all in excellent nick. Worst comes to worst, we use half the items haha. Hope that helps - or did you buy something shiny! (i was sorely tempted many many times!)

fuisce2 wrote: »
    Hiya, we had the same problem but the lady was lovely and recommeneded contacting the midwives in cherry orchard community centre. They run one day courses and it's exactly the same. As of our call last week, the next date she had available was July 14th though!

Yeah was looking at that one. We managed to get a spot on one that runs on a saturday in blanchardstown so thats on in July. We can claim back most of the cost on our insurance so thats good.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

Hi everyone, hope you’re all well and enjoying the sunshine!
    Had to jump on to see if anyone else is absolutely shattered tired? I’m 19 weeks and getting waves of tiredness to the point I have to go for a 2 hour nap the minute I’m in the door. Didn’t get this symptom in early pregnancy so thought I’d got off lightly enough.....just feeling so zapped, and belly is growing quite quickly so feeling very pregnant altogether ;)
    Can’t wait to hit 20 weeks, it’s such a mental milestone! Will have an anomaly scan (at almost 22wks).
    Anyone planning to book a 3D/4D scan?

Hi everyone, hope you’re all well and enjoying the sunshine!
    Had to jump on to see if anyone else is absolutely shattered tired? I’m 19 weeks and getting waves of tiredness to the point I have to go for a 2 hour nap the minute I’m in the door. Didn’t get this symptom in early pregnancy so thought I’d got off lightly enough.....just feeling so zapped, and belly is growing quite quickly so feeling very pregnant altogether ;)
    Can’t wait to hit 20 weeks, it’s such a mental milestone! Will have an anomaly scan (at almost 22wks).
    Anyone planning to book a 3D/4D scan?

19 weeks myself too, woke up yesterday at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep so stayed up and did housework and stuff before work. Put my little girl to bed last night at 7 and I was asleep by 8 I'd say and I'm only up now :pac: Day to day I'm fine but if I do too much i do feel exhausted.

I was going to book a private scan because I'm not back in hospital til 32w but we said feck it and we're just going to wait because were not going to find out the gender this time and we want it all to be a surprise.

Hope all mamas babas and dadas as are doing good thús far

19 weeks myself too, woke up yesterday at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep so stayed up and did housework and stuff before work. Put my little girl to bed last night at 7 and I was asleep by 8 I'd say and I'm only up now :pac: Day to day I'm fine but if I do too much i do feel exhausted.

I was going to book a private scan because I'm not back in hospital til 32w but we said feck it and we're just going to wait because were not going to find out the gender this time and we want it all to be a surprise.

Hope all mamas babas and dadas as are doing good thús far

Good point, it’s been a very active couple of days physically so it makes sense I’ve been just dropping with tiredness. I started pregnancy Pilates this week and found it brilliant actually, great for re-awakening muscles (esp pelvic floor eek) but also great for properly relaxing. Highly recommend!
    3am wake up? OMG.....

Good point, it’s been a very active couple of days physically so it makes sense I’ve been just dropping with tiredness. I started pregnancy Pilates this week and found it brilliant actually, great for re-awakening muscles (esp pelvic floor eek) but also great for properly relaxing. Highly recommend!
    3am wake up? OMG.....

Hiya! I've been waking up to pee (joys!) around 5am and then just..being awake until around 730/8 when I give up and go have breakfast haha. Is bubs just preparing me????

I'd love to do the pregnancy pilates - sounds great! If you get a chance, highly recommend pregnancy yoga by the way. I'd never done yoga before and the stretches have been amazing for releasing tension and generally making me feel a bit looser. Had you done pilates before?

fuisce2 wrote: »
    Hiya! I've been waking up to pee (joys!) around 5am and then just..being awake until around 730/8 when I give up and go have breakfast haha. Is bubs just preparing me????

I'd love to do the pregnancy pilates - sounds great! If you get a chance, highly recommend pregnancy yoga by the way. I'd never done yoga before and the stretches have been amazing for releasing tension and generally making me feel a bit looser. Had you done pilates before?

I did pregnancy yoga last time and I definitely found it beneficial in terms of relaxing but I find Pilates better overall because it has a good mixture of gentle strength exercises and breathing/relaxation. Probably depends on having a good instructor too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

My wife is getting terrible heart burn.
    I'd like to get her a treat but chocolate is a major trigger of her heart burn.
    Can anyone suggest something nice that won't cause heart burn?

My wife is getting terrible heart burn.
    I'd like to get her a treat but chocolate is a major trigger of her heart burn.
    Can anyone suggest something nice that won't cause heart burn?

Lovely to think of getting her a nice treat to make her feel better, I’ve been getting heartburn quite a bit this pregnancy and the things that help are, hydration (very cold sparkling water is something I find a godsend), stretching and relaxing the body overall (a massage/swim/ yoga session) and small non spicy food so maybe a home cooked meal avoiding trigger foods (heavy spicing, citrus, tomatoes). Also, loose comfy clothing are essential. All the insides are getting squished upwards so give bump some room! That’s a bit of a random list but hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I did pregnancy yoga last time and I definitely found it beneficial in terms of relaxing but I find Pilates better overall because it has a good mixture of gentle strength exercises and breathing/relaxation. Probably depends on having a good instructor too

Did you find pregnancy yoga useful for labour? I found pregnancy yoga class with time that suits me but I might look at pregnancy pilates also.

Did anyone look at monitors yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Lovely to think of getting her a nice treat to make her feel better, I’ve been getting heartburn quite a bit this pregnancy and the things that help are, hydration (very cold sparkling water is something I find a godsend), stretching and relaxing the body overall (a massage/swim/ yoga session) and small non spicy food so maybe a home cooked meal avoiding trigger foods (heavy spicing, citrus, tomatoes). Also, loose comfy clothing are essential. All the insides are getting squished upwards so give bump some room! That’s a bit of a random list but hope it helps.

Thanks for that.
    Will get her some sparkling water so.
    She tried some milk last night and it helped a lot so I'll see about getting some nice yogurts too.

Did you find pregnancy yoga useful for labour? I found pregnancy yoga class with time that suits me but I might look at pregnancy pilates also.

Not really, it helped me to be relaxed and confident in pregnancy and I found it easier to get into a comfortable position to rest and sleep but it all went out the window in labour lol! In saying that, some people find the breathing and zen aspect very useful but I was way too distracted for it (induction was very strong).

I’d highly recommend a good TENS machine, it saw me through most of my labour! A good zap did the trick!

I think Pilates will serve me better because of the strength emphasis and the pelvic floor focus

Did anyone look at monitors yet?

Not yet but almost half way though now must root out the boxes and see what I’ve still got. We have a video/WiFi monitor and a sound only one. Baby will be in our room for the first few weeks/months anyway so it’s not a priority yet.

Not yet but almost half way though now must root out the boxes and see what I’ve still got. We have a video/WiFi monitor and a sound only one. Baby will be in our room for the first few weeks/months anyway so it’s not a priority yet.

Oops some of my reply went into the quote?!

Haha I found that tricky to read at first!lol Could it be the start of baby brain?? ;)

I just found a pregnancy pilates class with similar time on different evening so may go to both and see how it goes- I miss the likes of HIIT classes so this might help me get over that! :D

I heard about a TENS machine too, which one did you use?

Ok because I was looking at our list to see what we still need to get and wouldn't know which monitors would be good but I guess they're all the same more or less.

Haha I found that tricky to read at first!lol Could it be the start of baby brain?? ;)

I just found a pregnancy pilates class with similar time on different evening so may go to both and see how it goes- I miss the likes of HIIT classes so this might help me get over that! :D

I heard about a TENS machine too, which one did you use?

Ok because I was looking at our list to see what we still need to get and wouldn't know which monitors would be good but I guess they're all the same more or less.

It’s an Obi Tens, I think I got it in Mothercare, it’s the absolute business! Has a sliding scale of intensity 1-10 and an extra zapper for serious pain interruption.

Good idea to do a bit of both classes to see how you go. I found I was a little frustrated with the slow pace and gentleness of yoga. I had planned to get back to spinning classes in Jan and miss that intensity but I’m hoping a bit of Pilates and swimming will help in pregnancy

It’s an Obi Tens, I think I got it in Mothercare, it’s the absolute business! Has a sliding scale of intensity 1-10 and an extra zapper for serious pain interruption.

Good idea to do a bit of both classes to see how you go. I found I was a little frustrated with the slow pace and gentleness of yoga. I had planned to get back to spinning classes in Jan and miss that intensity but I’m hoping a bit of Pilates and swimming will help in pregnancy

Googled that and it ain't bad at €50-60ish either! Even better that it do the job! ;) I saw it mentioned a lot in gentle birth group on FB.

Yeah I would prefer faster pace but at same time I'm trying to remind myself that it will be worth that! I heard swimming is good for getting baby in correct position for birth in end so that is a wee bonus.

Really tough few days here. Tried to start potty training with our eldest on Saturday and it started well but turned into a disaster today. He wouldn't tell us when he needed to go and would just hold it for ages or wet himself. Decided he wasn't ready and put him back in nappies this afternoon. We are going on hols in June so no point in trying again until after that, it's going to be much closer to my due date before we can try again and then he might regress when baby arrives and blah blah blah.

Plus my job has been a massive stress lately, working all hours, I'm feeling more than a little fed up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Sounds like a tough week firebird, try to mind yourself and if you're not fit for work theres not much they can do about it if you need a day. Easier said than done I know as my own job isn't that easy to just take a day off either, all th ework would just be left sitting there for me on my return but we really do have to mind ourselves.

Does anyone know if going public do you tend to have any other scan after 20 weeks? Different hospitals different maybe but I have my anomaly scan this week and as far as I know no more scheduled scans, seems to so long to go without a scan!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fintan85

Hi Ladies, just wondering is anyone else suffering from SPD. I’ll be 20weeks Friday and I’ve had this right from the start. I was attending physio through the maternity unit, after 3 sessions and no improvement they told me there was nothing else they could do. I’ve been given the support belt to wear and my next option is crutches, just wondering has anyone one else any recommendations

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if going public do you tend to have any other scan after 20 weeks? Different hospitals different maybe but I have my anomaly scan this week and as far as I know no more scheduled scans, seems to so long to go without a scan!

I think it's just the 2 scans as long as you're not high risk. I had a scan at 12w and am not back to hospital until 32w where they'll probably do a second scan

Sounds like a tough week firebird, try to mind yourself and if you're not fit for work theres not much they can do about it if you need a day. Easier said than done I know as my own job isn't that easy to just take a day off either, all th ework would just be left sitting there for me on my return but we really do have to mind ourselves.

12 and 32 weeks scan as standard for me too but I’ve been given a date for anomaly scan as well because of a heart condition in my close family.
    I agree, it’s a 20 week gap between scans either way which makes me very uneasy. I’ll be booking at least 1 extra myself just for peace of mind!

Firebird, sorry I have no advice on Spd but it sounds excruciating, sending sympathies! It must feel like there’s a huge stretch in front of you, hope you find some relief for it

Thanks :) I know it will be fine in the end. My workplace seems to just take and take and give you no thanks. The expectation is that you're just online constantly so I realised quickly at the weekend that I was going to be too exhausted to be able to persevere on with my son, even if he was starting to get it. That upset me more than anything, that my job is taking too much of me there's not enough left for anyone else :(

On your scans question, I was in Holles street public last time and I always got a quick mini scan at appointments but never a big one like the 20 week. Not sure what it's like in other hospitals.

fintan85 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, just wondering is anyone else suffering from SPD. I’ll be 20weeks Friday and I’ve had this right from the start. I was attending physio through the maternity unit, after 3 sessions and no improvement they told me there was nothing else they could do. I’ve been given the support belt to wear and my next option is crutches, just wondering has anyone one else any recommendations

I’m so sorry to hear you’re suffering with this. I had it on my first baby so am exprcting yet to rear it’s head again at some point.

Only tips I have are practical - silk sheets and silk pyjamas for turning in bed, sitting on a bin bag in the car, going up and downstairs on your bum. Lots and lots of rest, as much as possible. I avoided stairs like the plague - so in the morning I would bring everything downstairs from my room that I might need for the day, to avoid going back up again until bedtime.

I wonder would it be worth trying another physio? It’s odd for them to discharge you as usually you need constant exercises and treatment to try and slow down it’s progression as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Hi all, I'm finally joining the thread as we've had a bit of a rollercoaster with this pregnancy but seem to have turned a corner which means I feel I can finally start to enjoy this pregnancy. This is baby number three for us, and it will be a planned section as I have had two sections already.

Thanks ladies, I've had 12 week scan and have the detailed anomaly (20 week) scan tomorrow eve and then nothing it seems! It does seem like a long time doesn't it, I might consider going private for one later on if I feel like I need the reassurance! Hopefully though once movement becomes regular that will be enough to put my mind at ease. I have no reason at all to worry but I'm just a worrier in general!

• Advertisement

Congrats lazygirl and welcome to the group! What is your due date?

Due date is the end of September, but I'll be having a section at 39 weeks all going well!

lazygal wrote: »
    Due date is the end of September, but I'll be having a section at 39 weeks all going well!

Hi lazygal, you’re very welcome to the thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

Hi everyone,

I just had my 20 week scan today!
    So happy that everything is okay. They did all the measurements and it looked good as far as they could see. It was yawning and had a little thumbs up in there. But mostly was shy with the hands in front of the face.

We even found out the gender and we seem to be getting a little girl!!! So never expected it and the mother in law is convinced it's a boy because they have so many boys in the family! And I had so many dreams that we would get a little boy XD

The due date is 11 September according to them. I thought it was the 13th, but sure it will be around that date anyway :)

Welcome to the thread, lazygal!

• Advertisement

Aw amazing Nessel! So great to have everything checked out and ok and oh so exciting to know the sex! You can start thinking of names now!

Aw amazing Nessel! So great to have everything checked out and ok and oh so exciting to know the sex! You can start thinking of names now!

So glad to see and hear it's okay!

We have the names picked already. Had that done quite fast.
    We had one for each gender just in case. So hopefully the boy name can be used in the future ;)

Nessel wrote: »
    So glad to see and hear it's okay!

We have the names picked already. Had that done quite fast.
    We had one for each gender just in case. So hopefully the boy name can be used in the future ;)

Oh you're very organised! I cant even being to think about names until I have the sex narrowed down at least! Hopefully we'll be able to find out tomorrow.

Oh you're very organised! I cant even being to think about names until I have the sex narrowed down at least! Hopefully we'll be able to find out tomorrow.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)
    I just didn't want to wait until we knew the sex lol.

It's difficult enough finding names both you and your partner will like!
    Girl names was easier than boy names as well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)
    I just didn't want to wait until we knew the sex lol.

It's difficult enough finding names both you and your partner will like!
    Girl names was easier than boy names as well.

We’re the total opposite, struggling with girls names but have already agreed on two boys names. :-)
    Big scan isnt til 16th May. Dying to know.

lazygal wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm finally joining the thread as we've had a bit of a rollercoaster with this pregnancy but seem to have turned a corner which means I feel I can finally start to enjoy this pregnancy. This is baby number three for us, and it will be a planned section as I have had two sections already.

Welcome to the group! Glad things are going well now

Is anybody not finding out the gender? we're doing it 'old school' i guess you'd say. Naid 23 - same here. boys names seemed easy but the girls are causing all kinds of trouble lol

The difficult bit about boy names is that I'm not Irish and I know which certain ones that I can't pronounce them correctly which I don't want to happen with my own child. That made it more difficult for those boy names (I do like Irish names. Not so much the ones from where I'm from). Or the ones I liked, my husband didn't quite like.

Funny how it's so different for everyone :)

We've known from 13 weeks because we had prenatal testing. It's the only time we found out, mainly because it's part of the tests and also for practical reasons because I can clear out the clothes we don't need. We're not telling anyone though!

The difficult bit about boy names is that I'm not Irish and I know which certain ones that I can't pronounce them correctly which I don't want to happen with my own child. That made it more difficult for those boy names (I do like Irish names. Not so much the ones from where I'm from). Or the ones I liked, my husband didn't quite like.

Funny how it's so different for everyone :)

Me and my boyfriend have Irish names and have travelled alot so know the pain of having an irish name. We agreed No irish names though, mainly cause we both know how annoying it is as a kid being somewhere like disney land and never finding your name of silly stuff. :-)
    Plus the kids surname is gonna be Murphy, cant get more Irish haha

• Advertisement
Advertisement