Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

September 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Our first two got our only girl and boy names we liked so this one is proving a real challenge! I've an Irish name and it's a pain spelling it even in Ireland. Plus ours have both our surnames so don't want to add any difficulty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

We are finding out gender in our 20 week scan on Friday, I didn't find out last time but I just knew it was a boy! The name thing is gas. You only realise how many people you don't like when you are trying to pick a name for your child! So many of our conversations went like "oh no I knew a Dermot/Grainne/insert any name here in school and he/she was awful".

My son has an Irish name which is probably going to cause him all manner of problems in disneyland and starbucks but I'm big on Irish language and heritage so it was never a question of calling him anything else. I have an irish name and I get a few funny looks in the US sometimes but it never bothered me. I like that it stands out.

For this one we have a name for either gender picked. The boy's name is none of the ones on the shortlist from last time, the girl's name is but it was lower down. My top two names for a girl last time were used by other people I know in the interim and now it seems weird to use them.

One of our good friends used the same name as we gave our daughter, doesn't bother us at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Im so afraid of picking a name and somebody I know using it before I do! I know afew people due in the weeks before me so it could definitely happen! I suppose I'll cross that bridge when/if I come to it!

Whatever you do, don't tell anyone even your family what names you're thinking about. Someone will say they don't like it and it might spoil it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Had another consultants appointment this morning, got to see the baby again and all looking good😊 I can relax now and look forward to our big scan in 3 weeks.

Feel kinda weird waiting down there, every other girl there is heavily pregnant and i do have any bump at all. Even the midwife was shocked that it was my second consultant appt so early in the pregnancy.

lazygal wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't tell anyone even your family what names you're thinking about. Someone will say they don't like it and it might spoil it.

Yeah I'm with you on that one, everyone has an opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

We wouldn't even think on sharing names with anyone once we decide on few as we have few siblings who would be very opinionated. Although we told his sister that it is hard so we just discussed it in general with her throwing few names at us that she nearly used herself :)

100% agree. I have one particular family member, whom I love dearly, but can be very contrary and would say "oh I hate that" to pretty much everything.

• Advertisement

One of our good friends used the same name as we gave our daughter, doesn't bother us at all!

Yeah I doubt it would bother them either but I think I've just gone off the names as a result. They are perfectly nice but when I hear the names, those two little girls pop into my head, it's not as much of blank canvas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fintan85

Half way mark!! 20 weeks today !! Nothing gonna stop me from smiling today
    Happy Friday ladies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

I'm 20w and it's my birthday today so feeling good here too. :D

Think myself and little lady are gonna go out for breakfast for a treat, scary to think that it's only 18 more weeks that I have an only child for :(

I'm 20w and it's my birthday today so feeling good here too. :D

Think myself and little lady are gonna go out for breakfast for a treat, scary to think that it's only 18 more weeks that I have an only child for :(

Ahh happy birthday
    Go for it, go enyour day!

20 weeks today too! Just back from the big scan and all looks well.

WE HAVE MOVEMENT :D:D:D:D
    First baby so didnt know what to expect. Am looking forward to my boyfriend being able to feel it aswel.

• Advertisement

Naid23 wrote: »
    First baby so didnt know what to expect. Am looking forward to my boyfriend being able to feel it aswel.

Congrats Naid!! It's a nice feeling... until they are kicking you in the bladder at 3am :p

Ladies I don't know about the rest of ye but I'm finding it so hard to be pregnant while the abortion referendum is raging on. It feels like everywhere I turn people (mostly men on the pro life side it seems) are commenting on women's bodies and what we should or shouldn't do with them. I can't pick up a newspaper, switch on the tv, listen to the radio without it coming up. I walked out of the train station this morning and there was a male pensioner holding a handmade sign that had photos of fetus's on it and "Mercy Please" written on it. I felt screaming at him. I'd just like it to all eff all now please. :mad:

Naid23 wrote: »
    First baby so didnt know what to expect.  Am looking forward to my boyfriend being able to feel it aswel.
    Oooh so exciting Naid23.. im 20w 3d and just not sure if iv felt kicks or not, i though i did but so unsure
    How far along are you?
    I have my scan on Thursday so i cant wait for that..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

firebird84 wrote: »
    Congrats Naid!! It's a nice feeling... until they are kicking you in the bladder at 3am :p

Ladies I don't know about the rest of ye but I'm finding it so hard to be pregnant while the abortion referendum is raging on. It feels like everywhere I turn people (mostly men on the pro life side it seems) are commenting on women's bodies and what we should or shouldn't do with them. I can't pick up a newspaper, switch on the tv, listen to the radio without it coming up. I walked out of the train station this morning and there was a male pensioner holding a handmade sign that had photos of fetus's on it and "Mercy Please" written on it. I felt screaming at him. I'd just like it to all eff all now please. :mad:

I'm in the May thread but was thinking the same thing last night.Want them all and their debate to f&%k off.

Yeah its mad. I'm only 19 weeks so wasnt expecting to feel anything just yet. Its happened a few times the last week so pretty sure thats what it is. :D:D

Yeah, I've been feeling the same about the referendum. Just feel angry at some of the pictures around on the signs. Also had a NO campaigner knock at my door- again a guy preaching at me bout what is right for women. He was promptly told to get away from my door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

We haven't had anyone at the door luckily for the referendum, but I am getting annoyed with the posters that I see around town. What makes it worse is that I live here and will for the rest of my life, but I can't vote.
    Aside for myself, being pregnant makes me feel it's even more important to vote a certain way especially so my little girl won't have to go through any more hardship than necessary.

Naid23, isn't it amazing to feel it? My husband has been trying to feel it too, but it's either too soft to feel or it just stays quiet when he does try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 mjj

Oh that’s so exciting Naid!! 😊 I’m 19weeks too so hopefully start feeling some movement soon, taut I did last week but not sure!! Have 20 week scan next week, feeling nervous about it but please god it’ll all go well! Reading all the stories coming up to the referendum has made me worry a lot, I agree it’s hard but haven’t had anyone to the door yet thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My baby is 3 months tomorrow and I felt exactly the same. Having 2 kids has made me even more strongly pro choice and I am absolutely fed up of religious nutters and old men being given far too much leeway in the media to pontificate publicly about very personal choices and women's bodies in general. Sick as well of people viewing pregnant women as nothing but incubators, as if all that matters is the Glorious Foetus.

Doctors appointment in an hour for me, upper abdomen is very painful all weekend and when I lean forward or backwards there's a bulge and severe pain. Kicks are strong and frequent so wasn't too worried but pain is definitely increasing. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious, dreading being sent to the hospital :(

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

The referendum makes me so thankful that abortion was never on the table for me. Imagine making the difficult and horrible decision to terminate your pregnancy (knowing that it is the right thing for you in your circumstances) and then having the no side vilify you for that decision.

It's frightening how much ****e is being spouted and how the anti choice side are trying to portray themselves as anti establishment and rebellious.

Doctors appointment in an hour for me, upper abdomen is very painful all weekend and when I lean forward or backwards there's a bulge and severe pain. Kicks are strong and frequent so wasn't too worried but pain is definitely increasing. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious, dreading being sent to the hospital :(

Sorry to hear that Purple Lemons, hope all is ok!

loalae wrote: »
    The referendum makes me so thankful that abortion was never on the table for me. Imagine making the difficult and horrible decision to terminate your pregnancy (knowing that it is the right thing for you in your circumstances) and then having the no side vilify you for that decision.

It's frightening how much ****e is being spouted and how the anti choice side are trying to portray themselves as anti establishment and rebellious.

Part of me can't wait for it to be over but I'm also scared the No side will win the day and what will that mean for me (and all of us) on our due dates if something goes wrong, touch wood it won't and we'll all have lovely births!.

I think I'll also take it quite personally and be much more devastated at a no result as a pregnant woman than I would be if I wasn't pregnant.

Hope all turns out ok Purple Lemons and you get some relief from the pain

Hope all is okay purple lemons..:heart:

Thanks ladies, I've an epigastric hernia it seems which will worsen as pregnancy progresses. Doctor was great but his only advice was as much bed rest as poosible and avoid all exercise, not easy with a 21 month old :pac:

Meant to return to work Thursday which also involves heavy lifting so I haven't a clue how that's gonna work out :(

Sorry for lowering the mood of the thread but on a positive note I'm laying here in bed and can just about see bump shifting and popping with kicks and rolls :)

The moment when you had a private 20 week scan in the hospital, still have the public appointment and they want to send you home as they saw you the week before.
    Did get a quick scan though which was nice at least.

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies, I've an epigastric hernia it seems which will worsen as pregnancy progresses. Doctor was great but his only advice was as much bed rest as poosible and avoid all exercise, not easy with a 21 month old :pac:

Meant to return to work Thursday which also involves heavy lifting so I haven't a clue how that's gonna work out :(

Sorry for lowering the mood of the thread but on a positive note I'm laying here in bed and can just about see bump shifting and popping with kicks and rolls :)

Sounds nasty Puplelemons! Did doc give any medication to ease the pain? Bed rest/little exercise for 4 months - wonder how realistic that is! Never even heard of it to be honest, doesnt sound like fun though, for now if you can enjoy resting for afew days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cw87

Hi everyone,

New to the thread. Due September 19th to our gorgeous baby boy. Very excited but very nervous and apprehensive too about the birth. Started yogalates (combination of yoga and pilates) this week which has helped.

First baby for us. Any advice on what clothes i should be buying for the little man?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jillapino

Hey girls! Popping in from the August thread my due date got moved to the 30th of August! But I bet I'll go over! 23 weeks this week and starting to feel a bit of movement, it's my first and we found out we're having a little boy! So Excited! Going public in holis street!

Welcome to the thread Cw87 and Jillapino!

Cw87 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

New to the thread. Due September 19th to our gorgeous baby boy. Very excited but very nervous and apprehensive too about the birth. Started yogalates (combination of yoga and pilates) this week which has helped.

First baby for us. Any advice on what clothes i should be buying for the little man?

Thanks!
    Welcome!
    Both mine were in babygros and vests for the first while. I wouldn't buy too much of anything, babies are different sizes. One of mine just didn't fit Dunnes stuff at all. And you'll get LOADS of presents if my experience is anything to go by. Wrap vests rather than over the head ones are great.

I've been off work for a month, doctor and consultant orders. I'm so bored, and I can't do much at home. Hoping to get back to work next week. Can work assign you different duties in any way?

Welcome!
    Both mine were in babygros and vests for the first while. I wouldn't buy too much of anything, babies are different sizes. One of mine just didn't fit Dunnes stuff at all. And you'll get LOADS of presents if my experience is anything to go by. Wrap vests rather than over the head ones are great.

+1 to this, my son grew out of newborn clothes while still in the womb...

Everyone around me is having babies :D:D Since we found out in January, 4 of my friends/family are also expecting. Its great! My cousins wifes is due twins first and then I'm next. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

PurpleLemons sounds sore! Look after yourself and try get some rest. Not easy I know with a toddler in tow.

All good over here. Almost 23 weeks and feeling lots of movement, well into maternity clothes now and showing much more than I did this time on my last pregnancy. Starving constantly and really trying to eat the right things as I really don't want to gain a huge amount of weight. I did on my last pregnancy and it took the guts of a year to get it off.

Downloaded a kegal exercise app, so worried about my pelvic floor, feeling the impact of the baby on it now which I never experienced last time around. :(

• Advertisement

Kathy22 wrote: »
    Downloaded a kegal exercise app, so worried about my pelvic floor, feeling the impact of the baby on it now which I never experienced last time around. :(

Same here, I'm 21 weeks this week, baby isn't even a pound yet and I feel it pushing right now on my floor. Starting doing kegels on the commute in and out which has already helped!

Anyone suffering with sciatic pain?

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Anyone suffering with sciatic pain?

I don't know I have just that, but I do know I have a bulging disk in my lower back (had an MRI over a year ago) and that it's prone to getting sore quite fast.

I notice it especially when I walk too much. Or when I'm wearing heels too long and can't sit down. Hopefully it won't get too bad when I'm further along in the pregnancy.

Plus my upper left leg falls asleep when I'm sleeping on that side. Only the part that touches the bed though, but it's annoying enough.

Nessel wrote: »
    I don't know I have just that, but I do know I have a bulging disk in my lower back (had an MRI over a year ago) and that it's prone to getting sore quite fast.

I notice it especially when I walk too much. Or when I'm wearing heels too long and can't sit down. Hopefully it won't get too bad when I'm further along in the pregnancy.

Plus my upper left leg falls asleep when I'm sleeping on that side. Only the part that touches the bed though, but it's annoying enough.

Ouch, sounds nasty.

Im pretty sure (from doctor google!) that my pain at the min is siatic related or something in that area anyway. Very low down the back/top of buttock area on one side and a real sharp shooting pain. Been at me now about 4 days. have tried stretches, heat/cold, rest, exercise but no better or worse really. Sitting at a desk all day is probably not good for it though. Hoping it will ease off as its really making me feel like a crock and the pain at night can be pretty bad to disrupt my sleep. Has anyone been referred to a hospital physio?

Hi all
    Had my 20 week scan today and was told the umbilical cord only has one artery, (Its known as SUA) usually there is two!
    Anyone heard of this or have any info On it!

I'm scheduled in for additional scans due to it!!

Would anybody have any recommendations for a decent body pillow? Usually sleep on my stomach but thats no longer an option:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    So would prefer a good one for sleeping on my side.

• Advertisement

I'm using a dream genie, I got it when pregnant with number one.
    There's a v shaped pillow in Ikea a friend of mine used.

I'm using a dream genie, I got it when pregnant with number one.
    There's a v shaped pillow in Ikea a friend of mine used.

I actually have the v shaped one from Ikea and it was grand for a while but am just getting awkward now sleeping. I'll have a look at the dream genie one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

fintan85 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Had my 20 week scan today and was told the umbilical cord only has one artery, (Its known as SUA) usually there is two!
    Anyone heard of this or have any info On it!

I'm scheduled in for additional scans due to it!!

Fintan have never heard of this but hope all is OK. I know our minds tend to go into overdrive as soon as we hear something is different and not straightforward. Hopefully your midwife/consultant can give you some answers x

Ladies who have done this before - how did you find ante natal classes? Um booked in for a block of 3 but have no idea what they entail! I will do all three and really hope to find them useful but have heard mixed things. Some say waste of time.

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Ladies who have done this before - how did you find ante natal classes? Um booked in for a block of 3 but have no idea what they entail! I will do all three and really hope to find them useful but have heard mixed things. Some say waste of time.

I found them useful on my first, good at setting expectations for what will happen on the day. Probably won't be going for my second.. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement