Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

September 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Ladies who have done this before - how did you find ante natal classes? Um booked in for a block of 3 but have no idea what they entail! I will do all three and really hope to find them useful but have heard mixed things. Some say waste of time.
    Waste of time for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Ladies who have done this before - how did you find ante natal classes? Um booked in for a block of 3 but have no idea what they entail! I will do all three and really hope to find them useful but have heard mixed things. Some say waste of time.

They were OK. It helped set expectations but I wont be doing them this time around. We did the full day course, so glad i didn't have to go in and out of the hospital to do them over the course of a few evenings. TBH I feel they cover standard births where you sit at home waiting for contractions to increase. Mine wasnt so standard, baby passed meconium, waters broke, rapid onset of painful contractions which I didnt feel prepared for from the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go to them this time as its my first and see how it goes. Even if i pick one or two little tips it might help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go to them this time as its my first and see how it goes. Even if i pick one or two little tips it might help!

I'd say also ask a lot of questions about stuff that you're not sure of, it's the best opportunity you'll get beforehand to talk to an experienced midwife about the birth itself and believe me, there's no such thing as stupid questions in there! The lady who did ours in Holles Street was excellent and was happy to answer plenty of "what if" questions outside of the script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Sorry ladies I need a safe space to vent. I'll be 23w this Friday and I am positively drained. Work is manic and trying to keep my little girl entertained, the house somewhat together and cook a good dinner everyday is getting on top of me a bit. I know it's all hormones and unnecessary self doubt most likely but I feel I'm failing/falling behind in every aspect even though I'm not. Baby is super active and healthy but i just don't feel like I'm going to have another child in just over 15w, lack of a bond, guilt.. I'm not really sure. Wtf is wrong with me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Sorry ladies I need a safe space to vent. I'll be 23w this Friday and I am positively drained. Work is manic and trying to keep my little girl entertained, the house somewhat together and cook a good dinner everyday is getting on top of me a bit. I know it's all hormones and unnecessary self doubt most likely but I feel I'm failing/falling behind in every aspect even though I'm not. Baby is super active and healthy but i just don't feel like I'm going to have another child in just over 15w, lack of a bond, guilt.. I'm not really sure. Wtf is wrong with me :(

There’s nothing wrong with you! Juggling all those things is really tough and there just isn’t enough time each day to get all those things done. I work part-time and am genuinely amazed/baffled by how couples who have kids and both work full-time manage it. It is HARD WORK, and then when you are pregnant and exhausted, it’s ten times harder. Be fair on yourself here - you are doing an awful lot and you’re also growing a little baby and it’s okay to feel overwhelmed.

For now, focus on delegating the small stuff. Get a cleaner if you can - it’s only €10-15 an hour and it will honestly free up so much of your time. Ask your other half if they can take on one or two more jobs, whether that’s the laundry or ironing or doing bedtime with your little girl or cooking the dinner each night. Again it’s only a small thing, but it can make such a difference to your endless to-do list.

Ask for help. If you’ve family nearby, ask them to take your little girl for a couple of hours so you can have a rest or do something nice for yourself. Or even better, get away for a night with your husband to relax and get away from all the stresses of home.

It also might be worth talking to your manager in work. Explain you’re feeling exhausted and stressed. See if they can help at all with your workload. Or maybe it might be a good time to take a few days holiday to “catch up” and rest up a bit. Spend a day batch-cooking lots of meals so you don’t have to worry about cooking dinner every night. That sort of thing.

There’s lots of small changes that can be made which all add up to a big difference. It’s definitely time to start putting yourself first a little more. Remember on your first pregnancy when you got lots of rest and time to take it easy? Bliss!

I feel for you purplelemons, this pregnancy lark is not easy and yet life just goes on and we have to try and get on with it. Its only normal to have these periods where you just dont know how you're going to cope throughout the rest of the pregnancy and then after the pregnancy with another baby. Its mind boggling, especially when our hormones are all over the place and the baby is literally draining all we have from us.

I work full time but this is my first so have it alot easier than you and I also get periods like this. Right now my energy levels are so low that everything is a struggle. And on top of this you have another little one to take care of so dont be so hard on yourself and just accept that we will have these moments and we are more than entitled to have them! We are working hard making these little humans!!

Totally agree with the above in trying to delegate. Is your OH much of a help? Even just one or 2 little things in the day that he could do to make sure you have an hour or 2 to yourself to recharge would make a difference. Could he do dinner maybe twice a week eve and put your little one to bed those evenings too? That way you know that those evenings are your recharge/me time.

Try to stay positive, you're stronger than you think! And also remember you are more than entitled to feel like this and ask for help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Had our big scan this morning and happy to report that everything is good and as it should be. :D Its a relief knowing everything is formed as it supposed to be.
    And we got to find out what the blueberry is so very happy, and my guess was right :D:D

I've been wrecked this time around. I've spent so much time in bed and some things have gone to pot. I'm letting himself do most of the heavy lifting. We have a cleaner which I would recommend, it keeps everything ticking over. As for good dinners, they should be done when you're able, otherwise toast and beans with some fruit is a perfectly good dinner. I wasn't half as exhausted with a 15 month old and a newborn last time as I have been this pregnancy.

Naid23 wrote: »
    Had our big scan this morning and happy to report that everything is good and as it should be. :D Its a relief knowing everything is formed as it supposed to be.
    And we got to find out what the blueberry is so very happy, and my guess was right :D:D
    We have ours later. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Purplelemons, it is hard!So hard.The one thing that kept me going was to keep reminding myself that this is temporary.It feels like forever but it won"t last forever and before you know it, you'll be back to yourself again with a new baby.
    Definitely get a cleaner, even just once a fortnight.My attitude was that I work full time, 40 eur a fortnight on someone to clean was my little splurge on me :-)Also ya know....pizza is ok every week or so, and take aways too.You are not superwoman, and believe me, baby no.2 really teaches you that!!!!Also encourage your little one to entertain herself where you can, or take the time with her to sit and let her come to you.That's what I had to do, and my pair are very active, but surprisingly they accepted 'mammy has to sit down because she's just too tired" and they just brought games and books etc to me.Actually I think they liked it because I was stationary and available to them!But be nice to yourself, take your breaks where you can and try not to feel too much guilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

I had another unexpected hospital visit. Wasn't as panicked this time, more concerned. Had a little blood again. Not as much as I had at 11 weeks but they still told me to come in.

Luckily after the checks it all seemed good and our little girl was moving so much that the junior doctor had to do her best to get everything she wanted. (I even got a show that morning, my belly was moving so much for several minutes. Was great to see!)

I was surprised my own doctor even had time to come in! He didn't sound too worried, but it's good to have things checked.

When I got out it happened twice again though but they told me to just keep an eye on it for the night. As long as it didn't get worse.

Now my DH has me relaxing more and made me promise to take it easier. Which isn't always possible in my mind, but I'm trying.

All good with our 20 week scan yesterday. Time is really going fast. Confirmed my elective section at 39 weeks. Now I have to decide whether to get my tubes tied then or not.

Just wondering how organised people are in terms of stuff they need to get?
    We've picked out our pram at the weekend but apart from that we havent really done much or picked up things?
    Should we be more organised??:D:D:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fintan85

Just wondering how organised people are in terms of stuff they need to get?
    We've picked out our pram at the weekend but apart from that we havent really done much or picked up things?
    Should we be more organised??:D:D:confused::confused:

We have nothing done or bought
    We looked at the weekend at travel systems, but honestly haven't a clue,
    Which pram did you pick

My sister in law always said she'd keep all her baby furniture for us but I found out last week she hasn't!
    What do you really need? Cause in the shops I could buy it all

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I have nothing yet! My husband's sister is giving us her buggy but we still have to plan out everything else. He's a big fan of researching so I've left a lot of it to him and have just said generally what I think we need.

fintan85 wrote: »
    We have nothing done or bought
    We looked at the weekend at travel systems, but honestly haven't a clue,
    Which pram did you pick

My sister in law always said she'd keep all her baby furniture for us but I found out last week she hasn't!
    What do you really need? Cause in the shops I could buy it all

We thinking of going with the baby elegance Venti set. Went out to the shop in Dundrum and had a proper look so happy with that one. plus they keep it in stock so dont need to buy it til closer to the due date.
    Only other thing we have decided on is that we are going to go with a co-sleeper as opposed to a moses basket. Havent really looked at much else but would like to start picking up some stuff over the summer just so its there and ready to go.

We thinking of going with the baby elegance Venti set. Went out to the shop in Dundrum and had a proper look so happy with that one. plus they keep it in stock so dont need to buy it til closer to the due date.
    Only other thing we have decided on is that we are going to go with a co-sleeper as opposed to a moses basket. Havent really looked at much else but would like to start picking up some stuff over the summer just so its there and ready to go.

Ooh that is my other dilemma, so are
    You going to use the co-sleeper for day time as well?
    I don't know what to get! Don't reallly want to be lugging stuff up and down my stairs! Thinking of the co-sleeper/next to me crib for our room and a Moses basket for downstairs

We looked at the Uppababy Vista Sunday and I loved it, didn't love the price but I loved the height of the carry cot and car seat!

Ooh that is my other dilemma, so are
    You going to use the co-sleeper for day time as well?
    I don't know what to get! Don't reallly want to be lugging stuff up and down my stairs! Thinking of the co-sleeper/next to me crib for our room and a Moses basket for downstairs

We looked at the Uppababy Vista Sunday and I loved it, didn't love the price but I loved the height of the carry cot and car seat!

Would you not just used the bassinet of the Vista for daytime naps? It’s big and comfortable, and if I remember correctly it is very breathable and even suitable for overnight sleeping (but double check me on that one), so it would save the hassle of getting a Moses basket too. Plus Moses baskets generally only last you 2-3 months tops before baby grows out of it.

We just used our pram for daytime naps and I can’t see any advantage in a Moses basket really.

• Advertisement

We have everything except a cot mattress. Going to pick one up in Ikea.
    I have a Bugaboo donkey and loved it so not getting a different one, but if I was buying I'd get the bee. Planning on using the buggy for naps, a friend is giving us a co sleeper so that might be used if it suits. Otherwise cosleeping is the plan for the first few months.
    Need some babygros and vests for the newborn stage.
    Breastfed my first two and not going to bother getting any bottles or equipment for feeding.

We just used our pram for daytime naps and I can’t see any advantage in a Moses basket really.

Thanks for this catrionic, this is what I was planning on doing but its good to hear from other people who have done it before that ti worked out ok. I have literally heard of babies growing out of moses baskets by 5/6 weeks so think its probably a bit of a waste.

once they grow out of the bassinet though, what do you use?

Thanks for this catrionic, this is what I was planning on doing but its good to hear from other people who have done it before that ti worked out ok. I have literally heard of babies growing out of moses baskets by 5/6 weeks so think its probably a bit of a waste.

once they grow out of the bassinet though, what do you use?

Most bassinets will do up until around six months. By then, babies generally have a regular nap routine (if I recall correctly it’s around 3-4 naps a day at that age), so we would either put him up in his cot if we were at home, or else he would nap in the buggy or car while we are out and about.

I'm terrible I just love the look of a Moses basket!!
    I'm sure by the time we start buying stuff il get over the look or it with the coats building up

I'm terrible I just love the look of a Moses basket!!
    I'm sure by the time we start buying stuff il get over the look or it with the coats building up

I though this too until we spent a small fortune on our travel system and I quickly decided Id get as much use out of this as possible! Would still be more than happy though for someone to gift us a moses basket as they do look just gorgeous.

I though this too until we spent a small fortune on our travel system and I quickly decided Id get as much use out of this as possible! Would still be more than happy though for someone to gift us a moses basket as they do look just gorgeous.

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the moses basket look. My friend was the one that pointed me to the co-sleeper as I had never heard of them before. I'm actually amazed at the amount of products/options available.

• Advertisement

I think we have pretty much everything we need. Cot changing table locker and a nice rug. Even made a drawing on the walls for the little one.

It will go in the pram downstairs (I personally don't like the Moses baskets) and a bouncy thing upstairs (I don't remember what it's called tbh) or just the cot. Not quite sure what else we'd need at this point to be honest.

Not buying toys as I know my brother is getting loads of that already. Might need more clothes wise but that will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Maslacko

Hi ladies :) first time posting here.. Found you while looking for advice what we need to get :) We are totally unprepared, and don't have anything chosen yet.. keep waiting for a chance for both of us to be off and just go around the shops and try out some things, but either work has been crazy or I wasn't feeling well so never got a chance :) looking forward to reading you

Hopefully going looking today in castlebar!! I know some people have everything bought I just don't want stuff in the house too early
    Any recommendations on stuff we really need to buy?

Aslo another just wondering about maternity dresses Iv two hen and two weddings in the nxt two months!! Any ideas where to look for dresses been looking online and most ones I like they don't have it in my size!! First wedding is in 3
    Weeks I'm thinking I need to start ordering a few
    Dresses now or il panic the week of the wedding

Hopefully going looking today in castlebar!! I know some people have everything bought I just don't want stuff in the house too early

Aslo another just wondering about maternity dresses Iv two hen and two weddings in the nxt two months!! Any ideas where to look for dresses been looking online and most ones I like they don't have it in my size!! First wedding is in 3

I’ve spent the entire weekend looking for new clothes cause i’m starting a new job tomorrow. Didnt really get much tbh. New look was ok but didnt really see much there for a wedding. Most of the maternity dresses snd tops that i seen were eitger floral or stripes, and i wouldnt be a big fan of either. I’m glad some of my normal dresses still fit.

Couldnt get tights anywhere though. Anyone any ideas of where to get some good ones

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

Seraphine.com online shop is really good. The dresses aren't too expensive. I bought my wedding dress there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Dunnes have flesh coloured maternity tights.H&M for black ones.I found New Look ones useless, they only go halfway up the bump as the pregnancy goes on and keep unrolling downwards.

shesty wrote: »
    Dunnes have flesh coloured maternity tights.H&M for black ones.I found New Look ones useless, they only go halfway up the bump as the pregnancy goes on and keep unrolling downwards.

Thanks. I tried 3 different h&m shops and couldnt get my size. I’ll check dunnes tomorrow.

Thanks. I tried 3 different h&m shops and couldnt get my size. I’ll check dunnes tomorrow.

Could be the time of year, I know I found it harder to get the black ones in summer because they are kind of thick winter ones.Dunnes should have flesh coloured ones though.Maybe jojomamanbebe or seraphine might have some online if you get stuck.

I’ve spent the entire weekend looking for new clothes cause i’m starting a new job tomorrow. Didnt really get much tbh. New look was ok but didnt really see much there for a wedding. Most of the maternity dresses snd tops that i seen were eitger floral or stripes, and i wouldnt be a big fan of either. I’m glad some of my normal dresses still fit.

Couldnt get tights anywhere though. Anyone any ideas of where to get some good ones

H&M online is your best bet and for the interim size up on penny's tights. I have the H&M ones from last pregnancy and they are fine. They have a few types:

http://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0341129001.html
    http://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0362219002.html
    http://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0250099001.html - these are the ones I have

I am currently on the hunt for some good thick leggings. Bought some on H&M but they turned out to be more thick tights material, fine for under a dress but not for tops.

Maslacko wrote: »
    Hi ladies :) first time posting here.. Found you while looking for advice what we need to get :) We are totally unprepared, and don't have anything chosen yet.. keep waiting for a chance for both of us to be off and just go around the shops and try out some things, but either work has been crazy or I wasn't feeling well so never got a chance :) looking forward to reading you

Welcome :)

I have thick leggings from JojoMamanBeBe. Good for under tunic tops. Third pregnancy with them and they're perfect. Have a few black and navy ones. Also some from Asos which are good.

Hi All

Iv a random question!! Do ye be thirsty ?? Im
    Constantly drinking water!! I'm onto my 5L now!! I'm paying for it cause I'm always going toilet! But even at night I'm this thirsty and could drink up to 1L during the night

Hi All

Constantly drinking water!! I'm onto my 5L now!! I'm paying for it cause I'm always going toilet! But even at night I'm this thirsty and could drink up to 1L during the night

I was never a big drinker, but I do notice that at certain moments I do want more water, especially dinner time and right before I go to bed.

Hi All

Have you had a glucose test Fintan? Can be a sign of diabetes but like everything else seems that it can be a general pregnancy symptom too!

Have you had a glucose test Fintan? Can be a sign of diabetes but like everything else seems that it can be a general pregnancy symptom too!

I have it this Thursday!! Hopefully it's not diabetes and just me been thirsty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I found myself drinking loads of water too recently but I put it down to this good weather we have been having last few days. I had my glucose test few weeks and passed.

I made a big mistake this morning deciding to weigh myself for the craic- it was the first time I weighed myself for long time, wasn't pleasant at all as it shows I'm back at my heaviest weight even though I don't feel like it at all cuz I'm still wearing size 12/14 tops and feel it is all the bump. But not so sure anymore now :( 2+ stones on at 27 weeks already and my consultant said I need to watch my weight at booking in appointment!

Indigestion and heartburn have begun, I'm in for a fun 3rd Trimester, I can tell... I was knocking back loads of gaviscon by the end of the last one.

I made a big mistake this morning deciding to weigh myself for the craic- it was the first time I weighed myself for long time, wasn't pleasant at all as it shows I'm back at my heaviest weight even though I don't feel like it at all cuz I'm still wearing size 12/14 tops and feel it is all the bump. But not so sure anymore now :( 2+ stones on at 27 weeks already and my consultant said I need to watch my weight at booking in appointment!

I tracked my weight weekly first time round (and this time too to compare). I was about 2 stone up at 27 weeks last time too. A lot of it might be water weight, start of 3rd trimester was the point when I began to swell up like a balloon on my arms and legs even though my eating habits didn't change. It's not too bad on this one yet but I'm just waiting for it, esp with the hot weather we are having.

I have it this Thursday!! Hopefully it's not diabetes and just me been thirsty

More than likely its not. This weather doesnt help with the thirst and I have definitely felt more thirsty than normal since about 14 weeks.

firebird84 wrote: »
    Indigestion and heartburn have begun, I'm in for a fun 3rd Trimester, I can tell... I was knocking back loads of gaviscon by the end of the last one.

I'm the same, much worse and earlier than last time. Guzzling gaviscon. If i eat late or drink a cup of tea late I have been waking up with reflux and feel quite sick. Not fun :(

Kathy22 wrote: »
    I'm the same, much worse and earlier than last time. Guzzling gaviscon. If i eat late or drink a cup of tea late I have been waking up with reflux and feel quite sick. Not fun :(

Fruit appears to be my trigger and I eat mountains of it to prevent me from eating too much junk. I had a big bowl of mango, strawberry and kiwi last night and I was in bits this morning.

I found myself drinking loads of water too recently but I put it down to this good weather we have been having last few days. I had my glucose test few weeks and passed.

I think that is mostly water.. if you still wear the same size then it must be the bump.. I was weighing myself weekly just so I can keep track of everything.. currently in my 23 week and I gained 4kg which I know is not a lot but I can really feel the pressure.. I think I am going to start with swimming from this week on just to make it easier on my body..

Do you have to schedule glucose test? My gp didn't mention it at all and I am completely lost because it is my first baby :)

firebird84 wrote: »
    I tracked my weight weekly first time round (and this time too to compare). I was about 2 stone up at 27 weeks last time too. A lot of it might be water weight, start of 3rd trimester was the point when I began to swell up like a balloon on my arms and legs even though my eating habits didn't change. It's not too bad on this one yet but I'm just waiting for it, esp with the hot weather we are having.

I'm hoping I will get away without swelling but I'm prepared for it too! :p What did you find that helps with your swelling last time?

Maslacko wrote: »
    I think that is mostly water.. if you still wear the same size then it must be the bump.. I was weighing myself weekly just so I can keep track of everything.. currently in my 23 week and I gained 4kg which I know is not a lot but I can really feel the pressure.. I think I am going to start with swimming from this week on just to make it easier on my body..

Do you have to schedule glucose test? My gp didn't mention it at all and I am completely lost because it is my first baby :)

I really hope so, I couldn't weigh myself every week as I lost loads of weight before I got pregnant so it was killing me seeing weight up so I just stopped weighing myself every week. But good to keep track of it too! 4kg is amazing, I wouldn't mind that now!lol But everyone is different and all. Yeah I was just telling my hubby I need to start swimming as much as possible from this week onwards just seems sinful to go in evenings with this fab weather :o

I just got a letter for glucose test but not everyone get it- I got it because I'm turning 30 this year and apparently everyone over 30 has to get it done. Unless there is history of diabetics in your family I think or if you had a big baby previously.

• Advertisement

I really hope so, I couldn't weigh myself every week as I lost loads of weight before I got pregnant so it was killing me seeing weight up so I just stopped weighing myself every week. But good to keep track of it too! 4kg is amazing, I wouldn't mind that now!lol But everyone is different and all. Yeah I was just telling my hubby I need to start swimming as much as possible from this week onwards just seems sinful to go in evenings with this fab weather :o

I just got a letter for glucose test but not everyone get it- I got it because I'm turning 30 this year and apparently everyone over 30 has to get it done. Unless there is history of diabetics in your family I think or if you had a big baby previously.

Haha i know, i lost bunch of weight before I got pregnant and my first thought was: omg how am I going to deal with this :):)

Advertisement