Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

September 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

You girls are all very organised :-) we’re only really starting to get stuff this weekend. Plan is to at least get the hospital bag sorted by sunday.
    Only big thing we’ve bought it the pram and car seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Any other ladies with SPD have recommendations of places to get a band for under the bump? Went to see my consultant last week and apparently I have a mild case but it's been getting worse even just over the weekend. Baby is 4lbs apparently so it will be another huge one like my first (just shy of 9lbs), yay...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

firebird84 wrote: »
    Any other ladies with SPD have recommendations of places to get a band for under the bump? Went to see my consultant last week and apparently I have a mild case but it's been getting worse even just over the weekend. Baby is 4lbs apparently so it will be another huge one like my first (just shy of 9lbs), yay...

Hi there. Due in September too but first time posting on the thread! So I got mine via the Coombe (for free). I was referred to the physio class there by the gp sending in a letter, and they gave us belts the same day. Some other hospitals you need to pay for the belts apparently which sucks.

Same here with the huge baby! First was 10lb 4. I think this guy might be bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

My physio got me one with three straps that go under the bellybutton / bum to hold that up and support the back muscles. It's the ProMedics SPD/5 pelvic belt.

I'm loving the thing as I feel I can walk so much more with it on (can barely walk to our local tesco and back without it. Even doing housework is better for my back with it on.

Cameoette wrote: »
    Hi there. Due in September too but first time posting on the thread! So I got mine via the Coombe (for free). I was referred to the physio class there by the gp sending in a letter, and they gave us belts the same day. Some other hospitals you need to pay for the belts apparently which sucks.

Same here with the huge baby! First was 10lb 4. I think this guy might be bigger.

Welcome!

I don't have a referral yet because it was only an annoyance when I saw my doctor last week but even in the few days since then it's gotta much worse so probably next visit end of the month I might. The mornings/early afternoons I'm fine and then it becomes painful in the evening times. I was in the swimming pool at the spa over the weekend and really helped with the pain so going to see about my local pool and what hours they have.

Has anyone got their doctor to fill in their maternity form for social welfare yet? I just noticed that my doc didn't include "DSP panel number" on the form but I have a vague notion from last time that that isn't always needed?

Has anyone got their doctor to fill in their maternity form for social welfare yet? I just noticed that my doc didn't include "DSP panel number" on the form but I have a vague notion from last time that that isn't always needed?

Mine didn't either, just the IMC number. I submitted it online and it went through in two minutes without issues. Got the confirmation and everything really fast.

Nessel wrote: »
    Mine didn't either, just the IMC number. I submitted it online and it went through in two minutes without issues. Got the confirmation and everything really fast.

Thanks! She did include the IMC number. How do you submit online?

Thanks! She did include the IMC number. How do you submit online?

I went to mywelfare.ie and logged in with my gov id,
    Then click on Services and select Maternity Benefit application.
    That should give you the whole questionaire to go through.
    Do make sure you have your form scanned in so you can immediately upload and attach it to your claim.

I went to mywelfare.ie and logged in with my gov id,
    Then click on Services and select Maternity Benefit application.
    That should give you the whole questionaire to go through.
    Do make sure you have your form scanned in so you can immediately upload and attach it to your claim.

Did not know you could do that. Cheers for the heads up. That will make things alot quicker

• Advertisement

Naid23 wrote: »
    Did not know you could do that. Cheers for the heads up. That will make things alot quicker

I just checked and I can't do it online because I don't have a Public Services Card. They kept sending me appointments for one in the middle of work hours so I never showed up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

Hiya,

I've got my 32 week check up tomorrow. I can't remember what they checked for last time. Is it just bp, urine, quick scan?
    Had a few weeks of feeling very emotional and anxious about the impending labour/ birth so I'm going to mention it and talk about preferences. I've been finding Gentlebirth app quite helpful and also following a few people's approach online etc. I have to get my head in the right space for it.

Also, do you guys get your bumps measured for fundal height? I had a huge bump last time and they measured at every appt. Bump isnt quite as massive this time but GP seems to be happy enough. I might ask them tmoro out of curiosity....

I just checked and I can't do it online because I don't have a Public Services Card. They kept sending me appointments for one in the middle of work hours so I never showed up :rolleyes:

ah sugar, you do need that yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Ladies, I sent my maternity benefit form off weeks ago but my doctor didnt sign it, just work signed it. Am I missing something? Hope it doesnt cause a delay! I didnt see anywhere where it said a doctor must sign.

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Ladies, I sent my maternity benefit form off weeks ago but my doctor didnt sign it, just work signed it. Am I missing something? Hope it doesnt cause a delay! I didnt see anywhere where it said a doctor must sign.

Yeah there's a page that your doctor needs to fill out - https://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/mb3.pdf

I know the forms for employees and self employed people are different. Mine is self employed (MB3) so my doctor actually had to sign and stamp it. Looking at the employee form it doesn't have a doctor signature section on there at all however?

Citizensinfo just says to have a cert to confirm expected due date and that the employer has to further complete the MB2 form. I'm not sure on how that exactly goes though or how long it takes.
    My husband arranged his paternity leave through his work quite recently and that got sorted rather quick too.

"Employee: All employees must have their leave certified by their employer. However, if your contract of employment ends within 16 weeks of the end of the week in which your baby is due and you satisfy the social insurance (PRSI) conditions, Maternity Benefit is payable from the day after the date on your P45.

You must provide your employer with proof of the expected date of confinement. In other words, you will be required to provide your employer with a certificate from your doctor confirming when your baby is due. Your employer must then complete a form MB2: Employer Certificate for Maternity Benefit (pdf).

Self-employed: If you are self-employed a doctor must complete a form MB3: Medical Certificate for Maternity Benefit (pdf) to certify the expected due date of your baby."

Yeah there's a page that your doctor needs to fill out - https://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/mb3.pdf

I think you only need this filled out if you're self employed or unemployed? I could be wrong though, I'm not sure if it's baby brain but I am so much more confused by all of this second time round. I do think the form has changed since I last had a baby!

I think you only need this filled out if you're self employed or unemployed? I could be wrong though, I'm not sure if it's baby brain but I am so much more confused by all of this second time round. I do think the form has changed since I last had a baby!

Oh you're right, weird, my job told me to get it filled out and my doctor didn't blink when I handed it to her despite knowing I am an employee. Not surprised my job would tell me the wrong thing, they are fairly clueless about maternity leave. Sorry Meeeee79.

The form is still correct, but it's indeed for Self Employed people.

I found citizensinfo quite helpful. This is the link that has that information on there including the forms.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

• Advertisement

Ah ok thanks for the replies. Just got panicked for a minute when everyone was talking about doctor signing git and I have it gone ages without even getting that don! Luckily it seems I dont need to. Im an employee and work signed the MB2 form without anything required from doctor so all looks to be in order.

Thanks everyone got sorted!! I had the Public services card so did it all online. It’s a bit of a pain getting the mygovID Account set up but it worked out v fast in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

If any of you have Amazon prime it's prime day for another 24 hours and there are some amazing deals on baby equipment atm. I signed up for a free trial this month by coincidence and if I didn't already have all our stuff from previous babies I'd be bankrupt by now! Although we did treat ourselves to a cheap robot vacuum so we don't have to worry as much about the dog hair when we'll have 3 kids under 4 to run around after :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

32w Friday we're getting there slowly but surely. Have my second scan tomorrow, can't believe it's been 20 weeks since the last one. Very excited but a little niggle of worry in the back of my mind because I never received an anomaly scan at 20w. Fingers crossed everything is fine :)

Having a scheduled c section at 38w due to excess scar tissue down below so hopefully I'll have a time and date tomorrow for when I'm gonna meet this little person :D

32w Friday we're getting there slowly but surely. Have my second scan tomorrow, can't believe it's been 20 weeks since the last one. Very excited but a little niggle of worry in the back of my mind because I never received an anomaly scan at 20w. Fingers crossed everything is fine :)

Having a scheduled c section at 38w due to excess scar tissue down below so hopefully I'll have a time and date tomorrow for when I'm gonna meet this little person :D

Purple Lemons, do you mind me asking if that's external or internal scarring? I'd baby is correctly positioned I have the option of VBA2C but I'm nervous about my internal scar. Although baby is currently breech so will probably be out of my hands anyway :D

I'm also 32w on Friday, my section is scheduled for 39w. Is it weird to look forward to surgery? I'm so over being pregnant :D

• Advertisement

Purple Lemons, do you mind me asking if that's external or internal scarring? I'd baby is correctly positioned I have the option of VBA2C but I'm nervous about my internal scar. Although baby is currently breech so will probably be out of my hands anyway :D

Both unfortunately. First was natural, episiotomy and suturing were done incorrectly so I had to be recut and stitched 2 weeks later and the scars just never healed how we'd hoped.
    I've never had a section so I'm clueless as to that kind of scar tissue sorry, something I'm dreading finding out about though :pac:

I'm also 32w on Friday, my section is scheduled for 39w. Is it weird to look forward to surgery? I'm so over being pregnant :D

I'm dreading the surgery because of the recovery time afterwards, I have a little girl who just turned 2 this week and himself will only be able to take a week off. I'm hoping it won't take the full 6 weeks that they say. But ya I'm very very done with being pregnant

I'm dreading the surgery because of the recovery time afterwards, I have a little girl who just turned 2 this week and himself will only be able to take a week off. I'm hoping it won't take the full 6 weeks that they say. But ya I'm very very done with being pregnant

It's different for everyone but I didn't find the recovery on my first section too bad and that one was at the end of a long labour that stopped at 8cm. The day I got out of hospital I went to Lidl (my mam drove!) and did a full shop and by 4 weeks I'd say I was back to full strength, apart from the horrible mastitis I got at that point...

This time I'll remember to send the husband to the shops before I come home though :pac:

Thanks for your answer Purple Lemons, sounds like you had a tough time of it! I'm dreading the recovery time too. My 3 year old should be fine but my 2 year old is a handful!

Firebird I found the recovery on my 2nd section easier than the first. I think my body went into shock the first time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My second section was a breeze, even though it was technically an emergency one. I was off pain meds after a week, drove after four weeks and felt totally back to normal very quickly. Hoping for the same this time around.

• Advertisement

Have many of you been signed off work ladies? Im struggling this week with tiredness and midwife mentioned to me at my last appointment that I need to take it easy in work and that she will be keeping an eye on me so I think finishing early is in my head now even though I had no intention of it before she mentioned this! Ok in general but pretty busy until my replacement starts in 2 weeks and just so tired this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I had to take sick leave due to stress so I got signed off for two weeks and was then eligible for maternity leave. I've been on maternity since I was 29 weeks and was really disappointed. Feels like it's the right thing to do for myself and my family as I wasn't sleeping and couldn't deal with the stress at work and having to work 12 hours a day to get everything done (child protection social worker) but I also feel really guilty.

Love having all this time though! Am actually getting to practice the piano and do some exercise and prepare decent meals.

Still working here but really not sure how much longer I'll last. I'm a waitress in a hotel for tours so we do split shifts 6:30-10:30 am and pm for close to 400 people a night. We generally get 4 tables each of 10 people so it's very fast paced and heavy work to get em all in, fed and out on time to set up for breakfast again. I've cut down to 3 days a week until I finish but tis all still a bit exhausting.

6 months off can't come quick enough :D

Also still working but I have a flexible work from home arrangement in place with my manager so I sort of come and go as I please, as long as the work gets done they don't really mind. A lot of my counterparts are US based so it's actually handier for them if I'm online later in the day. I have good days and bad days with the tiredness and pain, the hormones also make it difficult to focus at the moment.

Glad im not the only one! I have a desk job and am starting to struggle so can only imagine how hard it is to be on your feet! The only thing with a desk job is if you're not there (appointments, the odd sick day etc) the work just piles up and you're under even more pressure then when you are in the office.

I have good and bad days too in fairness. Some days im flying it and others are just a real struggle from start to finish! I dont think theres any need for me to finish up yet but Im just not sure i'll make it to my planned finish 2 weeks before due date and my replacement isnt starting for another 3 weeks! It feels like a long way away in terms of work but oh so close in terms of baby arriving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've been on holidays for three weeks. I had a month off work for medical reasons already so I'm trying to keep going as much as possible. Work is quiet for me over the summer months thankfully so going to take another couple of weeks of leave before I start maternity leave proper. I'm really feeling this pregnancy much more than my first two. I'm exhausted and can only catch up on the housework in fits and starts.

I'm hoping that I can work up until the date I need to but will see how the next few weeks go. The last week or so I've been so exhausted that i've got nothing done at home, my bf has been doing all the housework. I was in bed at 830 last night :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hoping to have a bit of energy tomorrow, my sister is bringing me into town to get my hospital bag stuff :D:D

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Have many of you been signed off work ladies?

Next week will be my last week. I’m not sleeping and I don’t trust myself driving anymore! I have a lot of backache from sitting at the desk too. My work have been forewarned so I just need to get my cert. actual leave starts end Aug

Hi ladies, hope everyone is keeping well!

Anyone doing something special for their baby to have when they're old enough to read/understand?

I started a 9-month diary to write down everything in this pregnancy and included photos as well from all my scans, my belly selfies and the room and such. I got a pre-made book that has lots of things in there and weekly pages to write on.

Was just wondering if any of you are doing something like that too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So I've a bit of "personal" question ladies. My wife has awful constipation the last few days/nights, she was reduced to tears last night with the pain. Have any of you any tips on anything that can help?

• Advertisement

So I've a bit of "personal" question ladies. My wife has awful constipation the last few days/nights, she was reduced to tears last night with the pain. Have any of you any tips on anything that can help?

It wasn't an instant fix for me but prune juice helped. Just make sure to read how much you can/should drink of it is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

It wasn't an instant fix for me but prune juice helped. Just make sure to read how much you can/should drink of it is all.

Also, raising your legs up so you're in a squatting position makes a huge difference. Get her to put her feet on a little low stool, like the ones small boys stand on to reach the loo, or even just a couple of loo rolls. Much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mjj

Also, raising your legs up so you're in a squatting position makes a huge difference. Get her to put her feet on a little low stool, like the ones small boys stand on to reach the loo, or even just a couple of loo rolls. Much easier.

Yes I found that using a little stool to put my feet on really helped! I also drank lots of orange juice!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

Raisins, nuts and lots of water.

I *think* low dose senokot is safe to take in pregnancy because it's a natural remedy but defo check with a midwife or doctor first. All my sympathy, I had a terrible dose of it on my first.

mjj wrote: »
    Yes I found that using a little stool to put my feet on really helped! I also drank lots of orange juice!

I’d second the stool aswel. It does help.

I completely forgot about the maternity forms, they're sitting there with weeks :o

Just filled out all my parts and I've left it out for himself to fill his bit and I'll drop it into work in the morning, I'm 33w Friday I've left it so late arghhh.

Do any of you lovely ladies know can I skip getting my doctor to stamp it because I'm not self employed? The form implies I don't have to but I don't wanna delay the process

I completely forgot about the maternity forms, they're sitting there with weeks :o

Just filled out all my parts and I've left it out for himself to fill his bit and I'll drop it into work in the morning, I'm 33w Friday I've left it so late arghhh.

Do any of you lovely ladies know can I skip getting my doctor to stamp it because I'm not self employed? The form implies I don't have to but I don't wanna delay the process

yes you only need to fill this out if you are self employed or unemployed. If you are an employee you do not. If you have a public services card you can do the whole thing online which is handy and it gets approved v quickly.

Oh that's great so, thank you :)

In other news baby's arse is popping out my side all day and I've legs in my ribs, must definitely get the ball inflated after work tomorrow. Anyone else feel like they're running out of womb space

• Advertisement

Anyone else feel like they're running out of womb space

Totally. I've limbs stuck in every crevice and the wriggling is non stop. Baby has also developed a fun habit of getting hiccups when it's my bed time.

Advertisement