Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

September 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

lazygal wrote: »
    You'll be sent home unless something kicks off immediately.
    You're free to decline it too, like any other intervention.

I can't wait to finish work, I just don't have any energy. Ordered the car seat and want to wash the pram covers this weekend. Finally chucked a few things together for hospital too just in case.

Same here. Have 2 weeks left in work. The woman across from me has one of those smaller desk heaters and she has it on- i may be up for murder by the end of the day :-) its killing me.

We’re picking up the co-sleeper and some more clothes this weekend and then that should be the last of the washing for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A heater in this weather should be illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Section on Monday. *can't stop stress eating*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Scan showed babies femur has grown (yayy) still shorter than the other but not as significantly as it was. Back in next Thursday again for another scan to see how we're doing and section date will possibly be moved as baby is very low at the moment and I'm likely to go into labour before the 11th. I've everything washed and ready to use. Labour bag, hospital bag and overnight bag with a couple of presents for toddler ready in boot of car to go. I have 2 split shifts left in work this weekend and then I'm on maternity leave. There's nothing more I can physically or mentally do to prepare now just try my best to chill out and wait. Tis been a crazy few weeks

Yay, glad you got good news Purple Lemons! Glad you get to rest soon, you deserve it!

• Advertisement

Yay, glad you got good news Purple Lemons! Glad you get to rest soon, you deserve it!

I'm really looking forward to a couple of days of slobbing round the house in my pj's watching movies and not worrying about housework or getting the dinner made for a certain time. I'm sure little lady will be delighted to have mammy to herself too for a bit.

Are you nervous for Monday or is it a relief at this stage? Hope you're resting while you can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Well this is helpful....

http://www.thejournal.ie/hse-advice-pope-francis-visit-4197526-Aug2018/

"Pregnant women due this weekend in Dublin advised to leave plenty of time for journeys across city"

So if any of you based in Dublin are silly enough to go into labour early this weekend, remember to look into a crystal ball to know it will happen in advance and maybe ask the baby nicely to stay inside until you get to hospital.

firebird84 wrote: »
    Well this is helpful....

http://www.thejournal.ie/hse-advice-pope-francis-visit-4197526-Aug2018/

"Pregnant women due this weekend in Dublin advised to leave plenty of time for journeys across city"

So if any of you based in Dublin are silly enough to go into labour early this weekend, remember to look into a crystal ball to know it will happen in advance and maybe ask the baby nicely to stay inside until you get to hospital.

2 of the 3 main maternity hospitals are in town- which is pretty much closed for the weekend. Bit of a joke telling pregnant women to allow extra time- cause thats totally how labour works. Cross your legs and hope for the best :-) :-)

Naid23 wrote: »
    2 of the 3 main maternity hospitals are in town- which is pretty much closed for the weekend. Bit of a joke telling pregnant women to allow extra time- cause thats totally how labour works. Cross your legs and hope for the best :-) :-)

Have a bit of a pray, surely god will answer you with his best buddy in town :pac:

I'm not leaving the house this weekend to stay away from the madness so hopefully staying on the couch will help keep baby in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

Just had another check with the doctor. I feel like I should stop telling people my hopes for labour because today I got back from the midwife that first time moms often will go for an epidural after all ><

BUT, the baby is doing well (measures 3.4kg now - at 37 weeks), the doctor has faith that I can do it without an epidural as I'm hoping and is happy with how it's growing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Nessel wrote:
    Just had another check with the doctor. I feel like I should stop telling people my hopes for labour because today I got back from the midwife that first time moms often will go for an epidural after all >

Physio yesterday told us that it's often the fear of the unknown, and second time mums then do without because they 've made it through the first time and are more confident to go without.

She also said you can put on your birth plan
    "please do not offer me pain relief. I am aware of what is available and will ask if I need it"
    She said this can help because women are so vulnerable in labour that if one midwife came in saying "oh it looks like you'd need an epidural" we can be so inclined to just take their advice. Another midwife could appear and say "wow you're doing so well, keep going" and you'd hear that just as loud and clear, so it's a lot to do with what's happening around you.

She also said that lots of people adamant about not having an epidural can change their minds at the Transition phase or when it's coming very close to the end, but with encouragement you can get past that too.

Obviously get it if you want it, no one else has to endure your labour and there's nothing wrong with getting it , but don't let offhand comments from today convince you that it's inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

Scan showed babies femur has grown (yayy) still shorter than the other but not as significantly as it was. Back in next Thursday again for another scan to see how we're doing and section date will possibly be moved as baby is very low at the moment and I'm likely to go into labour before the 11th. I've everything washed and ready to use. Labour bag, hospital bag and overnight bag with a couple of presents for toddler ready in boot of car to go. I have 2 split shifts left in work this weekend and then I'm on maternity leave. There's nothing more I can physically or mentally do to prepare now just try my best to chill out and wait. Tis been a crazy few weeks

That’s good news! You must be relieved to have good progress and also meet your little one sooner? Fingers crossed it all goes well for you

So I'm assuming everyone kept their legs crossed in Dublin and waited til the pope left :D:D

2 of my friends have both gone 3 weeks early already so its made it very real that this baby could come at any time now :confused::D:D

So I'm assuming everyone kept their legs crossed in Dublin and waited til the pope left :D:D

2 of my friends have both gone 3 weeks early already so its made it very real that this baby could come at any time now :confused::D:D

No little Francis here thankfully although I'm getting 7 shades beaten out of me by baby today so I'm a bit curious if I will go earlier than planned.

A friend sent me this today, looking for newborns for a tv advert born in the next 2 weeks :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/MovieExtras.ie/posts/1811995338849528

Does anyone know if the consultants team will sign you off? I’m back in the coombe tomorrow and just done with work in every way- mentally and physically so was gonna see if i can get signed off a week early.

Not sure if they’ll give me a note or whether i’d have to go to my Gp?

I was signed off for work on my last pregnancy at 36 weeks. I was signed off this time for complications for a few weeks earlier in the pregnancy. Consultant wrote a note both times.
    Last day in work tomorrow thank goodness.

lazygal wrote: »
    I was signed off for work on my last pregnancy at 36 weeks. I was signed off this time for complications for a few weeks earlier in the pregnancy. Consultant wrote a note both times.
    Last day in work tomorrow thank goodness.

Thank you. Will ask in the mornig. Would just be easier if he does it. Save me going the docs.

Baby girl arrived yesterday morning via c section at 9.06am. Smallest of my 3 babas at 6lb11oz. She's perfection.

Baby girl arrived yesterday morning via c section at 9.06am. Smallest of my 3 babas at 6lb11oz. She's perfection.

Congrats. X Hope youmre both doing well.

Congratulations!! Hope you're both doing well indeed. :)

• Advertisement

congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

Congratulations!!!

Back down the hosp again this morning for my 36 week check up. Same Junior doctor as last time. Asked her if it was possible to get an idea of the size of the baby at this stage to check if shes around where she should be - " oh we dont do that", Ok I asked if she would check measurements -"Dont do that anymore either". Again, just got the impression that she didnt know exactly what she is doing. And my BF had to ask her to let me finish what I'm answering.
    She kept talking over me and asking me new questions while i was still trying to answer her previous question.

Not very happy about it but not sure what I can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Naid I’m just butting in from November but you might be just aswell not knowing measurements. They can be so off by a few pounds each way. Aswell as that I had no guesstimates done on my first aside from measurements of the bump (which were always bang on for dates!!) - she ended up 9lbs9oz and had I know I’d imagine I would have worked myself up into a tizzy for what in fact turned out to be a super quick labour with zero complications for either of us.

My second I only had one done at 41 weeks as they thought her stomach had stopped growing. All was fine and they guesstimatesd 8lbs, she was born a week later at 9lbs3 so I take them with a huge pinch of salt. Sometimes ignorance is bliss ;)

PS the doctor sounds like an absolute snot! Not what you need when you feel so vulnerable. Good thing you had your partner with you.

Digs wrote: »
    Naid I’m just butting in from November but you might be just aswell not knowing measurements. They can be so off by a few pounds each way. Aswell as that I had no guesstimates done on my first aside from measurements of the bump (which were always bang on for dates!!) - she ended up 9lbs9oz and had I know I’d imagine I would have worked myself up into a tizzy for what in fact turned out to be a super quick labour with zero complications for either of us.

My second I only had one done at 41 weeks as they thought her stomach had stopped growing. All was fine and they guesstimatesd 8lbs, she was born a week later at 9lbs3 so I take them with a huge pinch of salt. Sometimes ignorance is bliss ;)

PS the doctor sounds like an absolute snot! Not what you need when you feel so vulnerable. Good thing you had your partner with you.

Yeah i get that but it was more to get an idea that baby is growing ok. She didnt do any measurements at all. Not even a bump measurement so we have no idea.

My bump was measured at every hospital visit on my first and not once this time around, did get baby measurements the last two visits and an estimated weight/length but only because of an issue they discovered with baby's leg. Don't think they'd have informed me otherwise tbh my consultant isn't the nicest lady either unfortunately. Back in again tomorrow for another scan and no doubt a horrible internal exam :(

This time 2 weeks and I should have baba in my arms fingers crossed

Back down the hosp again this morning for my 36 week check up. Same Junior doctor as last time. Asked her if it was possible to get an idea of the size of the baby at this stage to check if shes around where she should be - " oh we dont do that", Ok I asked if she would check measurements -"Dont do that anymore either". Again, just got the impression that she didnt know exactly what she is doing. And my BF had to ask her to let me finish what I'm answering.
    She kept talking over me and asking me new questions while i was still trying to answer her previous question.

I don't think it will matter, even though it might feel like you're being fobbed off. I didn't get weight estimates either time, but my consultant told me after I had my second she had in her head that baby would be about 8 lbs, he ended up being over 9.5 lbs.

Congrats! Hope you are doing well.

On the measurements piece, when I was public I got none other than the fact that some poor junior doctor sent me off for an unnecessary scan at 35 weeks because I passed comment that I was very big (the midwife later ate him for it) but they told me baby was around 6.5lbs, he was just shy of 9 at delivery so seems about right.

This time I'm private and I get a guesstimate at every visit but it's very sketchy. At 35 weeks I was told 6.5 lbs again and then last week at 37 I was told 6 lbs so it's definitely not an exact science.

• Advertisement

Congratulations Furbabymomma! Hope you’re both doing well

Sorry you had such a frustrating visit, her rudeness is totally unnecessary, glad your bf spoke up, hope you get a different person next time. It makes all the difference having a good experience at appointments, especially when there’s all the waiting around!
    I wasn’t measured at all by gp or hospital until my 32 week check up and only the midwives at the hospital measure me since. I also haven’t had a scan since 20 week anomaly so I asked and they said all my measurements are spot on and it’s not needed now which is fine with me but I’m glad I booked my own 3D one at 29 weeks or I’d be freaked out. I measured big on my last pregnancy and had a few brief late scans so I assumed it wasn’t a big deal. He was 8lbs 4 in the end, nothing to worry about.
    I’ve only ever heard of the baby weight estimates being inaccurate so wouldn’t worry as long as your measurements are okay, insist on them measuring if need be, it only takes a minute and you’re there anyway. GP could do it either and have it recorded on your chart. The fact that there are so many variations in standard care is incredibly frustrating!!! Totally different approach depending on who you get and where you go, it’s disgraceful. It always makes me hesitant to assert myself and ask questions only to be told whatever it is is irrelevant or unnecessary. :confused:

Trying to shave the legs and fine 'china is an Olympic feckin sport. Even the 2yo is laughing at me :pac:

Trying to shave the legs and fine 'china is an Olympic feckin sport. Even the 2yo is laughing at me :pac:

3 year old to me yesterday while getting changed "mammy you have a beard?" :mad::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I have just attempted this. Its like Russian roulette. There's always blood on the towel afterwards!

It doesn't help that the hair is growing at an alarming rate really thickly :o

MIL is gonna come mind toddler while myself and himself head to the scan today so at least I don't have to hide my tears (please god there won't be any this time) if there's any bad news or pain from exam. More nervous than I can even explain.

Oh ladies what I'd give for a large icy cold white wine today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Our little lady arrived last week via c section. Went in for an ECV having spent the week researching and stressing about it and she has turned footling breech so they wouldn't do it and wanted to section that week as was getting too close to due date. Hated the section experience tbh and feel sad i didnt get the birth I wanted. But she is here, safe and beautiful. Born 7 lbs 11 oz. She is a week old today. And like my other guy has a tongue tie so feeding is sore. Need to get it snipped asap. Best of luck to all the September mammies. Can't believe we have an August baby. I was 10 days over on my last so was gearing up for something similar this time around.

Congratulations Kathy!!!

Congrats Kathy. X

Big congratulations, hope the tongue tie is rectified quickly for you x

Congrats Kathy!

• Advertisement

Congrats Kathy! :)

Kathy22 wrote: »
    Our little lady arrived last week via c section. Went in for an ECV having spent the week researching and stressing about it and she has turned footling breech so they wouldn't do it and wanted to section that week as was getting too close to due date. Hated the section experience tbh and feel sad i didnt get the birth I wanted. But she is here, safe and beautiful. Born 7 lbs 11 oz. She is a week old today. And like my other guy has a tongue tie so feeding is sore. Need to get it snipped asap. Best of luck to all the September mammies. Can't believe we have an August baby. I was 10 days over on my last so was gearing up for something similar this time around.

Congrats. Hope the tt gets sorted soon.

Got taken to a private room for my scan earlier, really makes you fear the worst but we got the best news ever that baby is healthy as could be and legs are almost identical so they reckon because they're stuck up under my ribs on the right hand side measurements were off first time around. They're guessing we're at 7.5lbs today at 37+5 and I'd say they're close enough because my daughter was born at 37+5 at 7.9lbs. Accidently seen a big set of liathróid too, so that was a surprise.

In a big bubble of feckin happiness here :D

Such a relief Purple Lemons! Happy for you to hear that good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Fantastic news Purple Lemons. That's brilliant :)

Great news purple lemons x

Congratulations Kathy! Sorry you didn’t have the birth experience you’d hoped for but she’s here and you’re both well xx it’s okay to feel sad about it though, you’ve been through a lot and between the shock of it and jumbled hormones it’s totally expected. Talk it through x
    I don’t know if it’s any help but I fed with nipple shields (I suspect he had tongue tie but it wasn’t diagnosed) and they helped a lot. Maybe try to see a lactation consultant to help, it’s incredibly painful and stressful, hope you get sorted soon!

Purplelemons that’s fantastic news! Delighted for you!

Just looking for some advice please. Have been pretty uncomfortable the past 2 days and nights with very low pressure and some pubic bone stretching type pain. Nothing I’m not just wincing through but wondering whether I should be resting or moving/on the ball to encourage whatever is happening? Some light period type cramps but not a lot. I’ll be 38 weeks tomorrow and I had my previous baby at 38+4.

I'm quite uncomfortable too, I think it's baby moving down into the pelvis that's causing it. I find sitting with two feet on the floor and legs together helps but no matter what I do in bed I'm uncomfortable.

Same with me. Night time is really difficult and if I sit longer than an hour I feel stiff. I've just put it down to late pregnancy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement