Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

September 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

If anybody has bad stomach problems/pains due to IBS (seeing as you cant take tablets anymore) or from constipation. My sis in Law just bought me a 'Warmies' hot water bottle. :D:D Its 2 and half feet long and is perfect for lying beside me.

She picked it up in the Johnstown garden centre in Naas, wouldnt tell me how much but it has been a great comfort as its long and can keep it to one side and not across my whole stomach like a normal one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Naid23 wrote: »
    If anybody has bad stomach problems/pains due to IBS (seeing as you cant take tablets anymore) or from constipation. My sis in Law just bought me a 'Warmies' hot water bottle. :D:D Its 2 and half feet long and is perfect for lying beside me.

She picked it up in the Johnstown garden centre in Naas, wouldnt tell me how much but it has been a great comfort as its long and can keep it to one side and not across my whole stomach like a normal one.

Have you discussed it with your GP? There are some medications you can take in pregnancy.

Pears, prunes, prune juice and lots of water are good for constipation.

bee06 wrote: »
    Have you discussed it with your GP? There are some medications you can take in pregnancy.

Pears, prunes, prune juice and lots of water are good for constipation.

Yeah I did, the ones I was on are just not suitable to take. I’ve an appointment with my dietician soon so just need to keep on top of it food wise. Problem is, I could be perfectly fine eating something one week and then be in a bad way from the same food the following week. Its a problem with my small intestine so not stictly your standard Ibs.

I was worried about this before getting pregnant so just have to keep on top of it now. Doesnt help that I dont want to eat much.

Naid23 wrote: »
    Yeah I did, the ones I was on are just not suitable to take. I’ve an appointment with my dietician soon so just need to keep on top of it food wise. Problem is, I could be perfectly fine eating something one week and then be in a bad way from the same food the following week. Its a problem with my small intestine so not stictly your standard Ibs.

I was worried about this before getting pregnant so just have to keep on top of it now. Doesnt help that I dont want to eat much.

Sorry to hear that. The stomach issues can be bad enough in pregnancy even without IBS so it must be very tough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mjj

I have my first scan on Wednesday and I have no idea what to expect. Is there anything I need to do? It says bring a urine sample, I don’t have a container but presume I could get one in the chemist? Should I wait till the morninof scan to do sample? Any other advice?! Sorry if these are silly questions!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No don't do anything.They will have sterile containers there and get you to give one (assuming it's a hospital appointment?)Jusslt bring yourself and your insurance details if you are going private or semip.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

mjj wrote: »
    I have my first scan on Wednesday and I have no idea what to expect. Is there anything I need to do? It says bring a urine sample, I don’t have a container but presume I could get one in the chemist? Should I wait till the morninof scan to do sample? Any other advice?! Sorry if these are silly questions!

Is this your booking app mjj? If so the midwife will meet you first, do a family history and full bloods, weight etc. and then you will be brought for a scan. They have urine sample containers in the hospital, I know in mine they have them in the bathrooms and waiting room so you could just get one when your there. Scan will be short enough to confirm your dates etc. I used to take a few pee containers with me home and do them before leaving if appointment was in the morning. I find I am always either bursting to go by the time i get there or i HAD to go to early and am strrugling to get enough for a sample LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fintan85

is it common to have the dating scan and booking appointment on different days, i have my scan on the 1st March and an adddional appointment on the 13th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

fintan85 wrote: »
    is it common to have the dating scan and booking appointment on different days, i have my scan on the 1st March and an adddional appointment on the 13th?

Yeah I had my early scan 3 weeks ago and I have my booking appointment in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

firebird84 wrote: »
    Yeah I had my early scan 3 weeks ago and I have my booking appointment in 2 weeks.

Mines the other way round. I have an appointment with the midwife on the 7th in Tallaght and then have my scan in the coombe on the 14th.

Will the midwife do the bloods or will it be at the hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Hey folks, just a few questions for you all. My wife is currently 10 weeks pregnant but is getting very bad headaches regularly, is there anything she can take bar basic paracetamol? She has been using the 4 head rub aswell but that just gives temporary relief.

She had some slight brown bleeding a few weeks ago so we went to the hospital for a scan which showed everything was fine. Then this weekend, she had some red blood but when she looked in the toilet there was a small piece of white "stuff". She said it looked similar to flesh. That was Saturday night and there has been nothing since so I'm not too worried but I'd like to be able to put her mind at ease. Has anyone experienced this? We have our next scan on March 7th.

She will be 11 weeks on Thursday.

Hey folks, just a few questions for you all. My wife is currently 10 weeks pregnant but is getting very bad headaches regularly, is there anything she can take bar basic paracetamol? She has been using the 4 head rub aswell but that just gives temporary relief.

She had some slight brown bleeding a few weeks ago so we went to the hospital for a scan which showed everything was fine. Then this weekend, she had some red blood but when she looked in the toilet there was a small piece of white "stuff". She said it looked similar to flesh. That was Saturday night and there has been nothing since so I'm not too worried but I'd like to be able to put her mind at ease. Has anyone experienced this? We have our next scan on March 7th.

She will be 11 weeks on Thursday.

There's nothing I know of that you can really safely take for headaches over the counter but her GP should be able to advise her on the best method of pain relief or if there is something they can prescribe.

On the bleeding, if she has any concerns she should contact her hospital and they'll probably do a scan to reassure and make sure everything is ok. Most of the hospitals tell you if you have the slightest worry about something being not right to just come in. The "white stuff" could just be discharge, I've experienced that a fair bit in early pregnancy, but only a medical professional can say for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

My only advice for headaches is water water water. If I dont stay well hydrated they creep back straight away so make sure she is drinking plenty. Any advice re medication id advise asking your GP.

As firebird said give the hospital a call if you are worried. Everyone is different and nobody, even the doctors, can tell without a scan whether it is something you need to worry about or not.

Are you booked in for your 12 week scan sometime soon?

Agree with the others RocketRaccoon I would ring your hospital A&E dept or present yourself there for bleeding and ask for them to check via a scan all is OK. Every maternity hospital in Dublin has an emergency unit. I had 2 bleeds in the second trimester on my last pregnancy and when i rang the midwife they advised to come straight in, turned out to be old blood but still glad to get it checked. Has she had any cramping or pains? If not it could be old dislodged blood from things shifting around in there. However we can only speculate and you would need to get it checked.

Naid23 if you are just in for an ultrasound it will likely be the midwife that will do your bloods and weight etc.

Have my booking appointment tomorrow. Very nervous now.

Have been really itchy the last few weeks. Had this on my last pregnancy as well and survived only by lathering myself in lipikar cream. It got dreadful towards the end last time so dreading that.

Well the maternity clothes came out of the attic yesterday and they need a good wash after being up there for 2 years, blegh! Having jeans is great but the whole in between stage for tops is so annoying. I won't be big enough for proper maternity tops for ages, just a big bag where a bump should be.

• Advertisement

This is my first so unfortunately no big bag to pull from anywhere. Never thought I'd have to be buying stuff at this stage, thought that would be ages down the line but some clothes are just so uncomfortable now! Others are fine still.

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    This is my first so unfortunately no big bag to pull from anywhere. Never thought I'd have to be buying stuff at this stage, thought that would be ages down the line but some clothes are just so uncomfortable now! Others are fine still.

I went into Penneys last time and bought a few "transitional" bits, bigger jeans without a button (they do pull up ones for 6 euro) and a few flowy tops. I'll need to do that again soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

NEXT has a 4 piece set of maternity items that I'm planning to pick up soon. I think it's a pair of high waisted leggings, a long line vest, t shirt and something else all for €40. It means you can layer up with regular clothes and it's all comfy and stretchy.

Had my scan today and all is well, got a little wave and everything. Very relieved!

Great to hear babymakesthree, cant believe you got a wave, thats amazing!

Thanks for the suggestions ladies, will definitely look in penneys and that set in next sound like just what I need right now.

Dunnes do long line vests for €4 which are great under regular tops that get a bit short. My jeans are getting a bit snug, I end up with a big dent in my belly by the end of the day. I used to do the bobbin trick on my last one to keep my jeans a bit longer although I am loath to do it at 12 weeks. Feels too early for this :(

The second trimester is the awkward phase. No proper bump so too small for maternity clothes but your own don't fit!

Great news on the scan babymakesthree. Such a relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

Next have maternity jeans. Black and blue. Got the black one last Saturday and will check if they have the blue one nearby as we were in Dublin for the day (got a great second-hand deal for a pram/buggy and car seat). They didn't have a lot though, but felt like I had to get the jeans in.
    I'm 11 weeks on Wednesday and not really showing so don't need them yet. And two more weeks for the booking appointment so think there's a scan in there too which is nice! And then the Monday after a private one again. So my parents have enough pictures to see :)

Also were at the in-laws last week and they showed me their holiday dates and they are away exactly the week that the baby is due! Haven't told them I'm pregnant yet as I'm not ready, but I hope they can reschedule haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

Thanks, very relieved!
    The Next set has a jersey dress in the set too btw

Had my booking appointment and scan today. All went great and measuring exactly to dates. Feel over the moon and very blessed. :D

Baby was moving around like crazy, we were joking we will have another high energy kiddo like my little boy.

Had a little scare earlier this evening. Had some bleeding on the tissue with a clot so had to go to the hospital. Of course with that and it being my first pregnancy I panicked but than goodness for my husband. At the hospital they checked and said there was a little blood left there but it wasn't bleeding so I may have been hypovescular(?) walls and that everything was closed. The doctor then had a scan and it showed the baby which looked happy and moving a lot and the heart is beating.

So that was a relief. It also measured 4.2 cm she said and I'm 11 weeks so I'm getting an early scan in the hospital this Friday due to the bleeding. But I hope this will not happen again as I immediately feared the worst.

Nessel wrote: »
    Had a little scare earlier this evening. Had some bleeding on the tissue with a clot so had to go to the hospital. Of course with that and it being my first pregnancy I panicked but than goodness for my husband. At the hospital they checked and said there was a little blood left there but it wasn't bleeding so I may have been hypovescular(?) walls and that everything was closed. The doctor then had a scan and it showed the baby which looked happy and moving a lot and the heart is beating.

So that was a relief. It also measured 4.2 cm she said and I'm 11 weeks so I'm getting an early scan in the hospital this Friday due to the bleeding. But I hope this will not happen again as I immediately feared the worst.

Glad everything was alright. Always better to get checked, just in case. :D

I had something similar at 6 weeks and you automatically think the worst, I had an internal scan a week later and all was okay, but it was the longest week of my life ! But if he scanned you today and all is ok just stay positive... I am 11 weeks Friday and my next scan is march 1st. I am counting the hours till then!! Il be thinking of you Friday but I'm sure all will be okay x

For sure. It felt a little strange to go to the hospital but I'm so glad I called them to ask.

Thanks fintan85. She said this is unofficial but they know I panicked and needed reassurance. My booking appointment is in two weeks from now but it looks good at the moment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Feels like something had to happen for some reason as my symptoms haven't been bad at all. Don't know why I'm thinking that.

All I can think now is phew. :)

For sure. It felt a little strange to go to the hospital but I'm so glad I called them to ask.

Thanks fintan85. She said this is unofficial but they know I panicked and needed reassurance. My booking appointment is in two weeks from now but it looks good at the moment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Feels like something had to happen for some reason as my symptoms haven't been bad at all. Don't know why I'm thinking that.

All I can think now is phew. :)

I think been the first pregnancy I certainly needed reassurance, I won't lie I cried the entire way to the hospital and just thought the worst!! But I just needed to hear the words all was ok, even for my internal a week later I was a bag a nerves, I think when it's so early and no one knows it's so hard not to have anyone to talk too, but onwards and upwards or outwards for us all

I am the same my symptoms are fine apart from been very tired and Iv noticed in the last week i am so hungry!! The smell of food an all I want to do is eat 😂😂

Oh I cried when I saw the blood, when I called the hospital, when my husband arrived and almost in the room with the midwife who took my details.
    It is hard especially what you said as nobody knows. That makes this board quite nice as we can all all about what's happening good and bad.

Good to have an outlet aside from your significant other.

I'm quite tired too and still have sore breasts. But to me that's minor compared to what it could have been.

Oh I cried when I saw the blood, when I called the hospital, when my husband arrived and almost in the room with the midwife who took my details.
    It is hard especially what you said as nobody knows. That makes this board quite nice as we can all all about what's happening good and bad.

Good to have an outlet aside from your significant other.

I'm quite tired too and still have sore breasts. But to me that's minor compared to what it could have been.

Oh my god yes... the sore boobs!! Iv had to buy a wireless bra.. and first thing in the evening it's on with comfy clothes if not pjs and off with the bra!! Mine have definitely increased in size already

But yes I do agree this site is great for every topic, and you never feel like your going thru something on your own as someone as been thru something similar too

• Advertisement

fintan85 wrote: »
    Oh my god yes... the sore boobs!! Iv had to buy a wireless bra.. and first thing in the evening it's on with comfy clothes if not pjs and off with the bra!! Mine have definitely increased in size already

But yes I do agree this site is great for every topic, and you never feel like your going thru something on your own as someone as been thru something similar too

Second that on the sore chest- made worse by the fact I sleep on my front (bad i know) so does be very sore first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mjj

Had my booking appointment today, they said I’m 3 weeks behind where we thought so I’m only 9 weeks. Have to go back in 3 weeks for another scan but baby was there and heartbeat was strong so that a relief. Was lucky ok’ing forward to being able to tell people but don’t mind waiting another few weeks!

Delighted to hear all is OK Nessel. I had 2 bleeds on my last pregnancy and it is so scary. Great they will do another scan for some additional reassurance.

Thankgod all ok Nessel, I dont think the worry ever goes away and any bleed is such a worry. Great that you were able to get checked in the hospital so quickly and not left wondering.

mjj thats unusual to be that far behind where you thought! Great you got the scan though and strong heartbeat.

I had an early scan and found out that I was a little earlier than expected too and found it so frustrating! For no other reason than purely wanting to get to that 12 week mark and let everyone know the news! Petty i know! Now Im back tow here I thought I was time is starting to fly by which is great.

Had my booking appointment yesterday, all went grand, loads of questions! And have my 12 week scan 1st March. Cant wait!!

To the ladies that have had their booking appointment already, Did you partner go to the appointment with you?

It says in the letter its fine but that there is a part he wont be let in for which is fine. My concern is that, my sister was able to listen to the heartbeat with a doppler (think thats what its called:rolleyes:). I would hate for him to miss that if we are able to do it so we're unsure whether he should come. Its our first baby so he doesnt want to miss anything.

Has anyone listened to the heartbeat at this appointment?

Naid my husband came to the appointment and did on my last one too. He didn't come into the midwife with me, she did my bloods, weight, height, BP and family history. After I was finished with her he came into my consultant with me and we had a scan.My consultant didn't bring up the heartbeat sound. I don't know if his machine let's him? I know at the 20 week anatomy we heard the heartbeat and watched the blood flow etc. I am private though so no idea how booking appointments work in the public or domino scheme.

I would say absolutely bring him with you, if there is a scan he will be allowed in.

Kathy22 wrote: »
    Naid my husband came to the appointment and did on my last one too. He didn't come into the midwife with me, she did my bloods, weight, height, BP and family history. After I was finished with her he came into my consultant with me and we had a scan.My consultant didn't bring up the heartbeat sound. I don't know if his machine let's him? I know at the 20 week anatomy we heard the heartbeat and watched the blood flow etc. I am private though so no idea how booking appointments work in the public or domino scheme.

I would say absolutely bring him with you, if there is a scan he will be allowed in.

Thanks for the info. I have 2 separate appointments. First one is with the midwife in Tallaght and the scan is the following week in the Coombe. He'll def be there for the scan so its the midwife one i'm worried about. Pretty sure its the domino scheme - we're gonna go with that one if there is no issues.

Im similar to you Naid and had my booking appointment first and the scan in next week.

Husband didnt come as we didnt see the point to be honest. They did urine, bloods, BP, 2 million questions about your medical and family history etc and then a very quick 5 min talk with the consultant who basically just went over what i had already mostly discussed with the midwife. He didnt miss a thing but will definitely be coming to the scan.

There were afew other women in also at same time for booking appointment. A couple had their partners with them and from what i could see the partners spent most of the time sitting in the waiting room.

There was no doppler or listening to heartbeat at all at this appointment for me anyway.

My Husband never came to any of my appointments apart from when we did the Nuchal Scan and the big 20 week one. Doing the same this time. It's a fairly boring process, no point in wasting the time for both of us. My mam and sister came to one appointment each last time out of nosiness!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies ladies. Appreciate it. x

One week til my scan and then I break the news to work, can't wait!! I was delighted when I stepped on the scales today and I'd only gained 2.5lbs so far. I've been eating us out of house and home (but trying to make better choices like fruit and cheese) and I gained 50 lbs on my first pregnancy so I really don't want to do it again.

Thats good going Firebird, I'm surprisingly actually the same, 2 pounds up. I do feel like I've gained about 2 stone though but the scales are telling me I haven't! I'm hoping the better food choices are easier in the second trimester!

Is everyone telling work at the 12 week mark or has anyone told work already? I don't know why but for some reason I'm dreading it.

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Thats good going Firebird, I'm surprisingly actually the same, 2 pounds up. I do feel like I've gained about 2 stone though but the scales are telling me I haven't! I'm hoping the better food choices are easier in the second trimester!

Is everyone telling work at the 12 week mark or has anyone told work already? I don't know why but for some reason I'm dreading it.

I know the feeling, I feel absolutely massive but it must be all in my head.

I told my work bestie a couple of weeks ago because I needed advice about an upcoming work function. I'm mainly telling at 12 weeks because my stomach will do the telling for me soon enough. I'm also the world's worst secret keeper, I've nearly slipped up so many times now.

I can't wait to tell people, but we're waiting until I've told my parents as my mother in law LOVES telling people a little too much haha. And since they live in the Netherlands I won't see them until mid March so decided to wait until then.

The husband did have to tell his boss due to the hospital appointments and one colleague as he invited us to dinner and needed dietary info. I'm self employed so I don't have the telling work issue.

I also haven't told anyone yet as we want the first trimester over with so there's less chance of something wrong happening.

13 weeks tomorrow. Almost out of the first trimester. Don't know why but it feels like such a major milestone.

Feels like so long now until the next scan at 21 weeks.

Haven't told work yet just as it hasn't come up in conversation, hoping to wait till the 14 week mark. I told my boss as needed to let him know i'd be taking a few hours off for appointments.

Hope everyone is keeping well? I am still so tired in the evening, really hoping it lifts soon as I have literally been falling asleep at the same time my little guy goes to bed every night for the past few weeks.

Firebird I was the same on my last pregnancy, gained way too much weight so need to keep an eye on things this time around. Not doing a good job of it so far and still have almost a stone on me i never shifted from the last pregnancy :sigh: :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Ladies can I ask how long it took for you to receive a midwife/scan appointment after you received your letter confirming you've been approved for the maternity and infant care scheme? I got the letter this morning so praying I won't be 17+3 again for my first scan :(

I think I'm going through the weepy hormonal stage again I thought it passed last week but no I'm an emotional wreck haha

Ladies can I ask how long it took for you to receive a midwife/scan appointment after you received your letter confirming you've been approved for the maternity and infant care scheme? I got the letter this morning so praying I won't be 17+3 again for my first scan :(

I think I'm going through the weepy hormonal stage again I thought it passed last week but no I'm an emotional wreck haha

It would be worth posting which hospital because they are all different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

bee06 wrote: »
    It would be worth posting which hospital because they are all different.

Thank you, it's University Hospital Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BB2011

I'm around 11w3d now I think, I keep losing count! Slight nausea appears every now and then still especially in the morning. Thankfully not wrecked all the time still but I have very little motivation to do a whole lot! Not long till my scan now. Starting to get a little nervous as will be 1st time seeing baby. Hopefully all is well.

Sorry purple lemons can't help you out, I'm going to St. Luke's in Kilkenny. I just got the sent appointment letter about a week after my 1st GP appointment at 6 weeks. I never received a letter confirming I was accepted on the scheme but never got it on my 1st either. It's crazy how different things are in each hospital!

Had a scan at the EPU. Everything okay, but got a leaflet about threatened miscarriage. Sounds horrible, but I'm hoping that I won't bleed anymore. Did get more pictures and the midwife said it all looks good.
    Less than two weeks for the booking appointment now. Somewhat relieved with all the appointments and checks in this first trimester.

• Advertisement
Advertisement