Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOLVED:W10 USB install Secure Boot?

Options
  • 31-12-2017 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

Hi all...have been using w7 up til now and I'm new to the intricasies of UEFI and Secure Boot and installing w10. What's buggin me even more is that I've already managed it on one laptop but I'm not sure what i did exactly.
    Basically, I want to install w10 from a USB drive in UEFI Secure Boot mode but am unable to see the USB to boot from unless I use Legacy Mode. I've tried using the GPT option in Rufus when preparing the USB but it's the same either way - no boot devices detected and nothing to choose from on the boot device screen unless I choose Legacy Mode.
    I did have this problem already on another identical laptop but it's now booting W10 in UEFI Secure Boot Mode but I can't remember how i got to that point - although that was an 8.1 install and then upgrade to w10. As it is, on this 2nd laptop, I've booted and installed from the USB in Legacy Mode. I tried changing to secure boot after the install but I then get no boot device found again. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

SOLVED: Just found a few different ways - most straightforward is to have the W10 media creation tool create your install USB. Legacy Mode disabled and Secure Boot enabled, laptop boots straight from the USB.

Advertisement