Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

If a house is worth 100k today but triples in price to 300k next year, it's not all that beneficial for the homeowner if it's their primary residence.

They can't sell at 300k and buy another house for 100k. Other houses in the are will also have tripppled in price.

They could benefit from reduced interest payments as their LTV falls, but this is neglible in the short term.

Rising house prices are not welcomed by most homeowners. They are however welcomed by landlords. It's important to distinguish the two.

Also if the house belongs to a family with children then tripling of house prices without corresponding dramatic increases in wage rates means that housing is going to be significantly less affordable for these children when they want to move out and set up their own home and family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A friend of ours just bought a lovely 2 bed apartment in Amsterdam. 600K bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

an amsterdam is cheaper than dublin?

i dont think so

https://www.ft.com/content/79dca9b4-c3b7-11e7-b30e-a7c1c7c13aab

• Advertisement

No it's not! You can buy a two bed apartment in D8 for 300K and walk in under half an hour. Norway is the highest quality of life IIRC, whats a gaffe in Oslo gonna set me back?

sorry disagree, dublin isnt as expensive as everyone wants to think it is.

what do you mean by quality?

sure there was some rubbish put up in the mid 2000s but thats not indicative of the entire housing stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

No it's not! You can buy a two bed apartment in D8 for 300K and walk in under half an hour. Norway is the highest quality of life IIRC, whats a gaffe in Oslo gonna set me back?

I could buy a 2 bed in Amsterdam and not die while cycling to work too.

• Advertisement

CalRobert wrote: »
    I could buy a 2 bed in Amsterdam and not die while cycling to work too.

People are on dutch bikes pootling along, not MAMILs whizzing along like eejits. If we could stamp out the latter in Ireland we could do what they do in Amsterdam and essentially share the pavement albeit with a divide.

Alternatively you could buy a 3 bed house and use the nice cycle track along the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

I think people will start to emigrate for better housing, commuting, quality of life rather than the historical reasons of finding a job or better pay.

That's certainly the conclusion I'm coming too.[/quote]

Can't help but agree. I think the grey voters have had it all to easy, while new labour entrants are saddled with the debt of their mistakes. I will also be immigrating rather than carry the financial noose of my predecessors. Sunshine and financial freedom await.

and so are parts of amsterdam,

the point is using amsterdam as an example of somewhere people will leave ireland to go and find the utopia of cheap housing close to work is a bad one.

I've had more issues in D4 than D8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I've had more issues in D4 than D8

I have no interest in getting into a postcode war, but while individual experiences can of course differ and each postcode has both good and bad areas; it is obvious that things like general safety level and cleanness of public space are on average quite a bit better in D4 than in D8. And all this reflects in property prices.

i disagree that irish people will be moving in any significant numbers (incremental to those that already do because they work for a dutch, german or spanish multi national) to any of those cities.

House prices arent any cheaper in desirable locations especially compared to the wages on offer.

If Madrid is so amazing why are there so many spanish people in their 20s over here?

You are flogging a dead horse, we aren't particularly multi lingual here either, and the 3 spanish people working for me at the moment are all university educated qualified or part qualified accountants that were fluent in english when they landed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

And now we are getting interest only buy-to-let mortgages: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0404/952015-concerns-over-new-interest-only-buy-to-let-mortgages/

How could anyone in the government/CBI think it is a good idea to allow this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bob24 wrote: »
    And now we are getting interest only buy-to-let mortgages: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0404/952015-concerns-over-new-interest-only-buy-to-let-mortgages/

How could anyone in the government/CBI think it is a good idea to allow this???

Business as Usual

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Spain has an awful problem with youth unemployment. Hence the migration abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

About to jump and Im being drawn towards locking in 10 year fixed with KBC @ 2.99%.

I would have to move to them from PTSB to secure a 0.2% rate decrease but looking at their fees I should still be better off.

Whats forums thoughts?

KBC rate is about to be no more, so whatever is available.

FullOf..IT wrote: »
    About to jump and Im being drawn towards locking in 10 year fixed with KBC @ 2.99%.

I would have to move to them from PTSB to secure a 0.2% rate decrease but looking at their fees I should still be better off.

Whats forums thoughts?

other option is 2.6% or 2.5% (depending on mortgage size) with UB and legal fees are covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I have decided to spend the next six months learning German with the hope of moving over to one of the major cities there in the next twelve months. Educated here and qualified but willing to (initially at least) sacrifice my career in order to experience the better lifestyle (energy and financial cost versus reward) on offer in Germany.

Initial financial projections would indicate that I would be almost equivalent financially by taking a job with an average salary in Germany (currently on an above average salary in Ireland). Therefore, it makes more sense for me to have the benefits of the German lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

I have decided to spend the next six months learning German with the hope of moving over to one of the major cities there in the next twelve months. Educated here and qualified but willing to (initially at least) sacrifice my career in order to experience the better lifestyle (energy and financial cost versus reward) on offer in Germany.

Initial financial projections would indicate that I would be almost equivalent financially by taking a job with an average salary in Germany (currently on an above average salary in Ireland). Therefore, it makes more sense for me to have the benefits of the German lifestyle.

Good luck!

It's pretty sad when a country's people have to emigrate in bad times AND good times. FG might as well mean 0 ****s Given.

whats the better lifestyle in germany and what industry is this in? Genuinely curious

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement