Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I live in a 3300 sq foot house in County Cork, built in 2008 to A standard and we bought unfinished and finished it 2 years ago.

Very warm house, about 450 euro a year on oil. 6 bedrooms i think :-)

What do you mean you think? This just proves my point that these houses are stupidly large. This lad has got lost on the way to one, or more, of his bedrooms. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

What do you mean you think? This just proves my point that these houses are stupidly large. This lad has got lost on the way to one, or more, of his bedrooms. :pac:

Well we only have 4 beds but there are other rooms which we converted to a large bathroom, large office and large dressing room for the wife so these could all be bedrooms also

How is it stupidly large ? We have loads of space and its cheap to run. Its paradise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Well we only have 4 beds but there are other rooms which we converted to a large bathroom, large office and large dressing room for the wife so these could all be bedrooms also

How is it stupidly large ? We have loads of space and its cheap to run. Its paradise

So you have a 4 bed then:confused:

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    So you have a 4 bed then:confused:

We have a 7 bedroom house but converted 3 bedrooms into other kinds of rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My granny back home lives in a house with approx. one million bedrooms that they built 30 years ago. It has 7 or 8 bedrooms, a large unfinished attic conversion, it has a vineyard, a large wood workshop, wine cellar, huge basement areas, 2 garages. While it's a pretty and tasteful house, she now lives there on her own and uses the kitchen, sitting room and her own bedroom. The other rooms are unused, especially since her husband passed a few years back.
    The house was largely unused since the kids were gone and even then it was stupidly big and most of the gimmicks were unused.
    Nobody wants to inherit this house because it's large, a pain to maintain and a lot more expensive to run than the smaller city houses they have.
    For her it's a burden by now but it's her house and she doesn't wanna move.

I wouldn't want to have that house either, I'd have no use for this insane amount of space. The views are pretty nice though and it's well built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well personally speaking we have a 2100 sq foot house and id happily take another 1500 to 2000 sq feet, and there is just me, my wife, our daughter and one more on the way :o

Cyrus wrote: »
    well personally speaking we have a 2100 sq foot house and id happily take another 1500 to 2000 sq feet, and there is just me, my wife, our daughter and one more on the way :o

Hey, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

LirW wrote: »
    Hey, congrats!

thanks, our daughter is just turning 4, sleeps all night, gets her self dressed and a very engaging conversationalist

back to the start again :eek:with the new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

MayoSalmon wrote:
    So you have a 4 bed then

Why are we do fixated by the number of bedrooms a house has in this country. Sq. Floor area is a far more telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

My granny back home lives in a house with approx. one million bedrooms

:eek:

• Advertisement

no.8 wrote: »
    Why are we do fixated by the number of bedrooms a house has in this country. Sq. Floor area is a far more telling.

Yes and no. There are places with a huge floor area and only 1 or 2 bedrooms.
    Generally I agree but it's not uncommon that people live in 80-100 sqm apartments with a very open plan layout and only one bedroom and that of course is clearly not suitable for a family.
    Back home they advertise the floor area and the number of all rooms in the apartment when it turns out that sometimes it includes the kitchen or it's an open plan living-dining situation or the living room too which wouldn't be suitable as bedroom and this can be incredibly confusing. When it says 3 or 4 rooms that can mean that there are only 1 or 2 bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is it not plain as the nose on your face that the number of bedrooms is very important to almost everyone?

Not sure what the fixation is on this forum with pooh-poohing every metric about a house bar your own favourite one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

My granny back home lives in a house with approx. one million bedrooms that they built 30 years ago. It has 7 or 8 bedrooms, a large unfinished attic conversion, it has a vineyard, a large wood workshop, wine cellar, huge basement areas, 2 garages. While it's a pretty and tasteful house, she now lives there on her own and uses the kitchen, sitting room and her own bedroom. The other rooms are unused, especially since her husband passed a few years back.
    The house was largely unused since the kids were gone and even then it was stupidly big and most of the gimmicks were unused.
    Nobody wants to inherit this house because it's large, a pain to maintain and a lot more expensive to run than the smaller city houses they have.
    For her it's a burden by now but it's her house and she doesn't wanna move.

I wouldn't want to have that house either, I'd have no use for this insane amount of space. The views are pretty nice though and it's well built.

You inherit it and sell it. Why would you not want to inherit it ?

Also im sure it was a lovely place for her children to grow up but i do agree that poeple need to downsize when they get older .

I'm not going to inherit anything :P
    Apparently, but that's a family thing, they moved from the city out into the middle of nowhere where they had over 1,5 hours journey to school by public transport in the morning and the kids hated it, especially as teenagers. But that also comes down to difficult family relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

not always a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I really need it to slow down to 6-7%p.a.. I can keep up with it when it's that much, anything in excess of that my opportunity to buy is just moving further and further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I really need it to slow down to 6-7%p.a.. I can keep up with it when it's that much, anything in excess of that my opportunity to buy is just moving further and further away.

It's a rare job that's delivering 6-7% wage inflation to keep up with the housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Diarmuid wrote: »
    It's a rare job that's delivering 6-7% wage inflation to keep up with the housing market.

and this is why we are heading for another bust, at an in determined point in the future. It won't be as bad as the last time, but this cannot continue, or if it does hobble along there will be substantial socio-political consequences elsewhere.

Think England where there is political chaos, totally lame duck government, Brexit and the Corbyn factor in response to the working class and squeezed middle being put to the pin of their collar while being 'managed' to believe they never had it so good, so shut it, and get on with the party. And this is only the beginning we are seeing over the last 2-3 years. It's bubbling under.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is it not plain as the nose on your face that the number of bedrooms is very important to almost everyone?  

Not sure what the fixation is on this forum with pooh-poohing every metric about a house bar your own favourite one.
    https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/why-price-per-square-metre-matters-36093335.html
    In Ireland it is different to all other countries, I just do not get it. Of course it is more important to know how much space you have and what you pay for it extra... Bedrooms are a metric to be included, but price per sqm tells you the actual size of the living area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'm confused. Did the most recent daft report not say that things were stagnant in Dublin? This seems to be saying the exact opposite.

I'm confused. Did the most recent daft report not say that things were stagnant in Dublin? This seems to be saying the exact opposite.

I might be wrong but I think that was focussing on rentals?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I might be wrong but I think that was focussing on rentals?

ronan lyons twitter feed might explain things to us all a bit better, confused here myself

https://twitter.com/ronanlyons?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Government policy when it comes to national development is usually the default lazy option of trying to put more jobs and people into Dublin without a fraction of the houses needed to house them. Cue disaster, chaos and house shortages.

At the very least companies and government departments need to be encouraged to move out of Dublin City centre to surrounding areas OUTSIDE the M50. It doesn't have to be down the country, it can be within a 10-20 minute drive of Dublin.

Government policy when it comes to national development is usually the default lazy option of trying to put more jobs and people into Dublin without a fraction of the houses needed to house them. Cue disaster, chaos and house shortages.

At the very least companies and government departments need to be encouraged to move out of Dublin City centre to surrounding areas OUTSIDE the M50. It doesn't have to be down the country, it can be within a 10-20 minute drive of Dublin.

I agree, West Dublin would be a perfect place with so many opportunities and I can't understand why there's no investment into a sustainable infrastructure that allows people to fly into the city centre. The poxy train connections that are way too packed are not going to cut it. West Dublin is in such a bad place with traffic that you'd really need a quick connection locally on several points from city centre to west. Create a proper hub ffs.

Boatswain wrote: »
    You can't blame the government for the large multinationals with offices in New York, London, Berlin, Paris, etc. preferring to locate in Dublin city centre over some BallyGoBackwards country town in Roscommon.

The point was to locate outside of the M50, not in Roscommon. The western part of Dublin is huge and it would definitely take some pressure off the traffic network into the city centre. It's still in Dublin, just not within the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

CSO figures are based on actual selling prices whereas daft doesn’t have those figures and has to rely on asking prices. Don’t know if that’s the only reason but it could explain the gap if actual selling prices are rising faster than asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

This is madness. Especially if you consider that a 10% increase today means a lot more in actual value that 10% a few years back.

(i.e. a 10% increase on a 300k house 3 years ago was 30k, but if that house is now worth 400k a 10% increase today means 40k in actual value).

The other things is that CSO figures are lagging behind a few weeks compared to Daft ones so a sudden change in the market could explain it, but since the CSO reports comes a few weeks after the other ones anyway I don’t think that is a major factor.

And lastly I am too lazy to check but it would be worth making sure they are looking at comparable time periods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

koheim wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/why-price-per-square-metre-matters-36093335.html
    In Ireland it is different to all other countries, I just do not get it. Of course it is more important to know how much space you have and what you pay for it extra... Bedrooms are a metric to be included, but price per sqm tells you the actual size of the living area.

Which isn't worth a fiddler's fart if you have four people and one bedroom.

Obviously loads of things are important but number of bedrooms is often if not always the absolute basic criterion. Your floorspace requirement may be somewhat flexible one way or another, but how many people you have to sleep isn't. It's about the most sensible first box to tick there could be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement