Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This post has been deleted.
    +1
    It's an artificial rent floor.
    How is it fair amongst the lower earners that their taxes are paying for the person who "outbid" them on every rental?

We need to remove all these government interferences in the free market - not add more.
    If there was a free market, those that can afford to can rent or buy for themselves.
    Those who cannot should be housed in social housing estates. And the "entitlement" to social housing should be reviewed every quarter, and there should be no option to purchase or inherit the social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

They held off on projects during the last boom actually, they really cooled any building in Leixlip from about '05 to '10 as far as I can remember.

I shared a house with a senior engineer and he was complaining about the quotes they were getting, other sites more competitive etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,420 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ELM327 wrote:
    We need to remove all these government interferences in the free market - not add more. If there was a free market, those that can afford to can rent or buy for themselves. Those who cannot should be housed in social housing estates. And the "entitlement" to social housing should be reviewed every quarter, and there should be no option to purchase or inherit the social housing.

There's no conclusive evidence to support the idea of 'the market', i.e. neoclassical theory, of having the abilities and capabilities to provide us with our needs, efficiently or effectively, as the real world, particularly at the macro level, doesn't operator in equilibriums.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Never thought you'd see the day, but even the likes of India are not immune to being undercut.

Yes, my girlfriend actually also has collegues in China (skilled office workers) who are afraid of their job being moved to Romania (the company has already moved some jobs). They are in Beijing though, so expensive to Chinese standard.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There's no conclusive evidence to support the idea of 'the market', i.e. neoclassical theory, of having the abilities and capabilities to provide us with our needs, efficiently or effectively, as the real world, particularly at the macro level, doesn't operator in equilibriums.
    Are you high?
    This post reads like it was written by someone in a tinfoil hat.

Capitalism has been around for centuries, without enterprise and a free market we'd still be in huts flinging our crap at each other.

ELM327 wrote:
    Are you high? This post reads like it was written by someone in a tinfoil hat.

ELM327 wrote:
    Capitalism has been around for centuries, without enterprise and a free market we'd still be in huts flinging our crap at each other.

Believe it or not, these ideas actually come from many academics who are in fact pro capitalists, of which I'm pro capitalist myself, but there's something fundamentally wrong with our most predominant form of it, I.e. neoliberalism and it's partner in crime, neoclassical theory

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When Ireland gets exposed it hasn't lost jobs to the UK, Australia or New Zealand. But China, Poland, India etc. Next time it could be central Africa, Bangladesh etc. Because I have heard people say some cities in India have got too expensive. Never thought you'd see the day, but even the likes of India are not immune to being undercut.

In the tech field low cost/low skill roles are heading to South America at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

for capitalism of course, but i do believe those that critic neoliberism and neoclassical theory, for reasons ive explained earlier, are indeed correct

fair enough

• Advertisement

Believe it or not, these ideas actually come from many academics who are in fact pro capitalists, of which I'm pro capitalist myself, but there's something fundamentally wrong with our most predominant form of it, I.e. neoliberalism and it's partner in crime, neoclassical theory

I think I of the whole lot thanks to the of.

Neowankism, i love it.
    That's exactly what it is.

If you don't like the free market there's always north korea or china.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

ELM327 wrote: »
    Are you high?
    This post reads like it was written by someone in a tinfoil hat.

Capitalism is generally agreed to have started in England in the 19C. You are confusing it with some earlier rudimentary systems where there were markets but the ruling classes weren’t capitalistic.

ELM327 wrote:

It's important to realise the importance of the free market, but it's probably more important to realise it's short comings and failures, it's being sold to us as all knowing, that it can do no wrong, but this isn't necessarily true. Nobody wishes to live in countries such as north Korea, but this isn't what I'm proposing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Neowankism, i love it.
    That's exactly what it is.

China’s doing pretty well. But you are right, it isn’t a capitalist society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

It's important to realise the importance of the free market, but it's probably more important to realise it's short comings and failures, it's being sold to us as all knowing, that it can do no wrong, but this isn't necessarily true. Nobody wishes to live in countries such as north Korea, but this isn't what I'm proposing

Do you have a script that flags words like "free market" and "capitalism".

You pop into the most random threads spouting the same copy/paste neoclassicalism stuff. What exactly are you proposing?

eeguy wrote: »
    Do you have a script that flags words like "free market" and "capitalism".

You pop into the most random threads spouting the same nonsense.

no, i just have a lot of interest in these matters, and it seems like theres plenty of research continuing in such matters

+1
    Those who cannot should be housed in social housing estates. And the "entitlement" to social housing should be reviewed every quarter, and there should be no option to purchase or inherit the social housing.

I think social housing estates are a thing of the past.
    Even if they weren't the taxpayer would pay to build them ultimately......... those who can't pay will always be provided for in Ireland at the tax payers expense.

Hard to know the most efficient way to do that admittedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

no, i just have a lot of interest in these matters, and it seems like theres plenty of research continuing in such matters

What exactly are you proposing?

eeguy wrote:
    What exactly are you proposing?

It's not a proposal as such, it's more an acceptance, that there's a serious flaw in our thinking regarding such issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Hello, any advice for me?

Looking to make an investment (maybe).

I have 60k in my account right now...and I rent.

thinking of buying an apartment before interest rates rise in a couple of years and rent out a room to one or a couple to help pay the mortgage for 10 years.

Do you think now is a good time to buy? Location around the Dublin region, within commuting distance.

I want to make the best financial decision (i.e not lose money). Right now I'm paying rent (interest) where-as I could have someone else paying the interest part while I cover the capital part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It depends what your gross income is. Realistically you need 250K+ for a decent 2 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It depends what your gross income is. Realistically you need 250K+ for a decent 2 bed.

40 basic.

I end up with around 16k more in my bank account each year than the previous.

2 bed apartment I was looking at goes for 200-230

Pussyhands wrote: »
    40 basic.

I end up with around 16k more in my bank account each year than the previous.

2 bed apartment I was looking at goes for 200-230

You should be able to get a Mortgage for 140K, where abouts are you looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

+1
    It's an artificial rent floor.
    How is it fair amongst the lower earners that their taxes are paying for the person who "outbid" them on every rental?

We need to remove all these government interferences in the free market - not add more.
    If there was a free market, those that can afford to can rent or buy for themselves.

This free market nonsense sickens me. What exactly do you mean by a free market?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Hello, any advice for me?

Looking to make an investment (maybe).

I have 60k in my account right now...and I rent.

thinking of buying an apartment before interest rates rise in a couple of years and rent out a room to one or a couple to help pay the mortgage for 10 years.

Do you think now is a good time to buy? Location around the Dublin region, within commuting distance.

I want to make the best financial decision (i.e not lose money). Right now I'm paying rent (interest) where-as I could have someone else paying the interest part while I cover the capital part.

more than likely yiur talking about will prices drop and yiu couldbuy cheaper ? if the market drops you will be less likely to get a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

more than likely yiur talking about will prices drop and yiu couldbuy cheaper ? if the market drops you will be less likely to get a mortgage.

S/he will get a mortgage if the market drops based on their financial prudence saving 16k per annum on a 40k salary

Prime candidate with large deposit and stated saving history

Villa05 wrote: »
    S/he will get a mortgage if the market drops based on their financial prudence saving 16k per annum on a 40k salary

Assuming they still have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Villa05 wrote: »

You think. The banks will be Rolling the carpet out ? What happened are the banks imploded last time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

You think. The banks will be Rolling the carpet out ? What happened are the banks imploded last time ?

If you remember there was great pressure on the banks to lend after they were bailed out and they did but only to candidates that displayed exceptional prudence as the poster here has shown.

So yes the red carpet will be rolled out in a collapse to a person who has shown to be savvy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement