Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights as a freelancer/contractor

Options
  • 01-01-2018 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I've just been offered a contract by a company to provide about 25 hours a week freelance marketing work. However a lot of this will be weekend work. Are freelancers entitled to extra rates for Sunday's, for example? Or is it all determined by the client with no legal rights for freelancers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

LouthMouth wrote: »
    I've just been offered a contract by a company to provide about 25 hours a week freelance marketing work. However a lot of this will be weekend work. Are freelancers entitled to extra rates for Sunday's, for example? Or is it all determined by the client with no legal rights for freelancers?

No one is entitled to extra for weekends.

Freelancers aren't employees so dont have any employment rights at all. Be mindful of this when negotiating your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

LouthMouth wrote: »

This is a major over simplification, but the rights of the employee are from the employer, and (when you are freelancing) you are both the employee and employer. The client company is just a customer of the employer (i.e. you).

So your "rights" as an employee are what ever you (as the employer) chose to give to yourself (as the employee), but if you chose to pay yourself €500 an hour for working weekends, but the contract you sign with the customer only pays €250 an hour, then that it your problem, not the client.

Also, bear in mind the VAT thresholds, and if it would be worthwhile registering.

Advertisement