Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coughing

Options
  • 01-01-2018 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi not looking for a medical diagnosis but just wondering if anyone has experienced this

My 4 year old has had a cough for over a month now. We've been to the doctors and he's said the chest is clear and it's most likely viral. She is in fine form, she's eating ok, has energy, but at night she gets these coughing fits where she'll cough for about 30 seconds, struggling to stop.. then what seems like swallowing down bile or vomit over and over again for another 30 seconds.

She has a slight cow milk protein allergy.. She can tolerate a small amount of dairy but has probably had more than normal over the last month with advent calendars and Christmas chocolates.. was thinking that could be it?

Has anyone experiences with this? I'm gonna book another doc appointment this week anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Could it be reflux?? The swallowing part sounds like the acid trying to be swallowed down especially if it's at night when She s lying down??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How are the sinuses. Mine had this. Sinuses are flowing down th back of the throat causing the cough. It's part of this viral infection doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

There is a virus doing the rounds. Little bit worse than a cold not as bad as a flu. The cough can last up to 3 months. It can be quite nasty but will pass. I've had 4 at home with it. 1 was hospitalized with it as he has a heart/lung condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭corkgirl17

Is this a one off episode or is it a regular occurrence? If it's a regular thing then it may be worth asking your doctor about asthma. My daughter had years of constant coughs and trips to the doctor when finally a doctor from southdoc suggested it was childhood asthma. So now she has inhalers to help. Something to think about if it happens alot

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Thanks for all your replies. I have thought of all those ideas above yes. I will bring her back to the doc during the week yes. I was thinking reflelux with the swallowing, but then sinuses because I suffer from chronic sinus issues so she could have got that too.. just have yo try different things if the doc gives her the all clear again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Olbas oil for children in the room at night and a bowl of water. Olbas oil helps with sinus and the water can help with putting a bit of moisture in the air. The heating during the winter tends to dry the air making air ways dryer and more irritated.

might help a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Both mine (2 &3) had this from sept/oct until xmas. It would get bad for a week then a break for a few days and back again, had them both at doc's numerous times to be told viral and just ride it out.
    I found the Vicks steamer really good for night time as like yours mine were in great form all day but were been woken with coughing fits.
    The plug in steamer generates warm steam to ease their breathing and really helped, you can put the olbus oil drops into too, just be sure it's out of reach of little hands as steam can be hot.

Advertisement