Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathons 2018

Options
  • 01-01-2018 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Just starting this thread to see what marathons/runs people would recommend in 2018!

In 2017 I took part in-
    VHI women's mini marathon (10k)
    The Rainbow run (5k)
    Liberties Fun Run (6k)
    Rock & Roll Marathon (5k)

For 2018 I want to take part in these events again maybe, but I'd prefer to find out about different events as I am quite new to the running world. (The main location is Dublin/Kildare area) Would anyone have any runs they would recommend - and also tips for training.

I train mostly in the gym now on a treadmill but when it comes to running the marathon I lose my speed completely. A lot of people are recommending park runs to me, what are your opinions on these also?

So any tips & general running chat for this year, leave below:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Have you looked at the other events listed on the thread? Lots of good info there on races all over the country.

The BHAA races ( check out their website) might be an option for you, there's a bit of cross country in there too for something different.

Runireland.com is a good site to look for races

Is joining a club an option? Great way to get to know other people that run and there is no such thing as being too new to running for a club.

Parkruns are great, for both running and getting to know other people into running. Get to one as soon as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daisyos1

Duanington wrote: »
    Have you looked at the other events listed on the thread? Lots of good info there on races all over the country.

The BHAA races ( check out their website) might be an option for you, there's a bit of cross country in there too for something different.

Runireland.com is a good site to look for races

Is joining a club an option? Great way to get to know other people that run and there is no such thing as being too new to running for a club.

Parkruns are great, for both running and getting to know other people into running. Get to one as soon as you can

Thank you so much :) great help! Yes I am planning on joining a park run in my home town this weekend. Will be good to get to know others with similar interest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

daisyos1 wrote: »
    Just starting this thread to see what marathons/runs people would recommend in 2018!

In 2017 I took part in-
    VHI women's mini marathon (10k)
    The Rainbow run (5k)
    Liberties Fun Run (6k)
    Rock & Roll Marathon (5k)

It is a big step up from 10k to a marathon, did you run any half marathons last year such as the Rock n Roll or Dublin half marathon?

Downtime wrote: »
    It is a big step up from 10k to a marathon, did you run any half marathons last year such as the Rock n Roll or Dublin half marathon?

Yes I done the rock n roll half. Ive already registered for the half again this year😊 It is a decent step up and it's hard going but I like the challenge!

• Advertisement

Yes I done the rock n roll half. Ive already registered for the half again this year�� It is a decent step up and it's hard going but I like the challenge!

Well done. The Dublin Half as part of the race series is nice also as is the Cork half. As for marathons Dublin of course is great, Limerick is a nice run also. I believe Derry is great too. Have you run a marathon before?

I guess it depends on whether you want to travel to do a marathon, either within Ireland or outside, or wish to stay local.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Yes I done the rock n roll half. Ive already registered for the half again this year😊 It is a decent step up and it's hard going but I like the challenge!

What marathon you thinking of doing?

I'm also looking at making the jump from half to full

colin32 wrote: »

The rock & roll half marathon looks great and the VHI women's mini marathon. I have to research more and find more marathons close to me.

I completed the 5k run with the rock and roll series last year. I have to say it was tough, although only 5k it's mostly uphill around Phoenix park and I barely got through it. It took me 30 mins which is wouldn't usually because I completed the women's mini marathon last year in 29mins and that's double the distance.

You're a step ahead of me because I'm still building up to a half marathon, I'm envious! What type of training do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

If you looking for a marathon Dublin is great and I highly recommend joining the next DCM novices thread here is last years https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057738126

I joined it my longest distance prior was 11km built up to 15km just before I started following the plan outlined in the novices thread. have to say it is the best decision I ever made I got great advice and I met a great bunch of like-minded runners and we are still in touch. :)

I also joined a club and enjoy running with a group we are all at different levels but still stick together. club's are great you will make some great friends.

The Irish 5 mile ( I loved last year) in Phenoix park
    Then the Dublin race series all Dublin again

If you got a chance to go further, the Waterford Viking 1/4, half and full is another great run I did the quarter myself and I loved it. I am thinking of doing the full this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

The rock & roll half marathon looks great and the VHI women's mini marathon. I have to research more and find more marathons close to me.

I completed the 5k run with the rock and roll series last year. I have to say it was tough, although only 5k it's mostly uphill around Phoenix park and I barely got through it. It took me 30 mins which is wouldn't usually because I completed the women's mini marathon last year in 29mins and that's double the distance.

You're a step ahead of me because I'm still building up to a half marathon, I'm envious! What type of training do you do?

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

We obviously have a world record holder in our midst!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

colin32 wrote: »

I did Dublin as my first one last year and did the San Sebastián one 4 weeks after, highly recommend it.

This year I’m thinking of doing the Bordeaux one in March , Copenhagen in April, Dublin in October and San Sebastián in November

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Itziger wrote: »
    Huh?

Not sure what's going on there.

I'm also unsure how understood the term marathon is here. And doing the 5k in the Rock n' Roll Half event doesn't mean you've "done the Rock n' Roll half". :pac:

We obviously have a world record holder in our midst!!

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine. Excuse me for wanting to improve myself! You must be a negative nancy :)

Amirani wrote: »
    Not sure what's going on there.

I'm also unsure how understood the term marathon is here. And doing the 5k in the Rock n' Roll Half event doesn't mean you've "done the Rock n' Roll half". :pac:

I made a mistake in my post. I should has said *run* instead of marathon. I want to build up to a marathon. Another negative Nancy. If you want to post valid advice then do so, if not, jog on :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    If you looking for a marathon Dublin is great and I highly recommend joining the next DCM novices thread here is last years https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057738126

I joined it my longest distance prior was 11km built up to 15km just before I started following the plan outlined in the novices thread. have to say it is the best decision I ever made I got great advice and I met a great bunch of like-minded runners and we are still in touch. :)

I also joined a club and enjoy running with a group we are all at different levels but still stick together. club's are great you will make some great friends.

The Irish 5 mile ( I loved last year) in Phenoix park
    Then the Dublin race series all Dublin again

If you got a chance to go further, the Waterford Viking 1/4, half and full is another great run I did the quarter myself and I loved it. I am thinking of doing the full this year :)

Thank you this is so helpful. I'll definitely have a look at these :) thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine. Excuse me for wanting to improve myself! You must be a negative nancy :)

There may have been a typo in your VHI mini-marathon finishing time, or maybe you should revise your goal race to Tokyo 2020 10k final :D

There may have been a typo in your VHI mini-marathon finishing time, or maybe you should revise your goal race to Tokyo 2020 10k final :D

What's your mini marathon finishing time? El pricko :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

What's your mini marathon finishing time? El pricko :)

sorry for trying to help....:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Daisy, people are just confused how you did 5km in 30 minutes, but 10km in 29 minutes and are wondering if one of them (probably the 10km) is a typo. What was your actual mini-marathon time?

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    Daisy, people are just confused how you did 5km in 30 minutes, but 10km in 29 minutes and are wondering if one of them (probably the 10km) is a typo. What was your actual mini-marathon time?

So ridiculous oh my god, obviously it's a typo which boards won't let me edit! I'm not that good. I meant to say 49. Hence why I did not understand the 5k taking me 30. Dear god.
    I said marathon because that's what it's called, VHI MINI MARATHON. it's not mini run. I do know the difference, any nice people understand where I'm coming from. I'm looking for ADVICE not ABUSE. :)

I made a mistake in my post. I should has said *run* instead of marathon. I want to build up to a marathon. Another negative Nancy. If you want to post valid advice then do so, if not, jog on :)

It's just that it'd be helpful to know whether you're looking for actual marathons to run this year i.e. 42km, or for runs more in-line with what you've done before? There's not much point in people suggesting the former (and associated training plans) when you actually want the latter.

So ridiculous oh my god, obviously it's a typo which boards won't let me edit! I'm not that good. I meant to say 49. Hence why I did not understand the 5k taking me 30. Dear god.
    I said marathon because that's what it's called, VHI MINI MARATHON. it's not mini run. I do know the difference, any nice people understand where I'm coming from. I'm looking for ADVICE not ABUSE. :)

49 minutes for 10km is pretty darn good.

We all have off days, but nothing wrong with 30 minutes for 5km especially on a tough course.

If you join Parkrun you'll get more regular 5km times and get a better idea of what your average for that distance is.

You could do a "run" a day nearly with so many events on over Ireland so the sites recommended above are a start.

But if you do want to run an actual marathon, all 42.1km of it, then I'd recommend the Dublin one (both as an event, as within the locality you stated you preferred). You'd need to start upping your weekly mileage. Have a look at last year's novices thread linked above. There are people on that (including yours truly) who were far less capable starting that program than you are now, so if it is something you have an ambition for, there's nothing to stop you.

This is a great forum with lots of advice on offer for runners of all abilities. Nobody was abusing you.

I dont think anyone is abusing you, just trying to figure out where you are at. Yes it is a mini marathon but the thread title is misleading / confusing as a marathon is 26.2 miles or 42km but you havent run that distance yet.

49min is a decent time for 10k in a congested race.

Perhaps look at more 10ks and 10 miles races such as the Frank Duffy 10mile and the South Dublin 10k as part of the race series. Also a number of clubs run 10 miles races. I found these great for building up to the half marathon distance.

49 minutes for 10km is pretty darn good.

We all have off days, but nothing wrong with 30 minutes for 5km especially on a tough course.

If you join Parkrun you'll get more regular 5km times and get a better idea of what your average for that distance is.

You could do a "run" a day nearly with so many events on over Ireland so the sites recommended above are a start.

But if you do want to run an actual marathon, all 42.1km of it, then I'd recommend the Dublin one (both as an event, as within the locality you stated you preferred). You'd need to start upping your weekly mileage. Have a look at last year's novices thread linked above. There are people on that (including yours truly) who were far less capable starting that program than you are now, so if it is something you have an ambition for, there's nothing to stop you.

This is a great forum with lots of advice on offer for runners of all abilities. Nobody was abusing you.

Thank you for the helpful advice. Its a goal of mine I started last year, I got myself up to 10km in the space of 2 months training which I thought was decent. It won't let me edit the title on boards so there's nothing I can do :(

Amirani wrote: »
    It's just that it'd be helpful to know whether you're looking for actual marathons to run this year i.e. 42km, or for runs more in-line with what you've done before? There's not much point in people suggesting the former (and associated training plans) when you actually want the latter.

For what it's worth, I reckon if you've done a 10k in 49mins then I think it'd be worth attempting a full marathon late this year - Dublin for example. Just need to increase mileage and training quite a bit!

Thank you for the helpful advice. Its a goal of mine I started last year, I got myself up to 10km in the space of 2 months training which I thought was decent. It won't let me edit the title on boards so there's nothing I can do :(

Seriously, this time last year, I was running 5km in 44 minutes! I didn't do my first 10km until June last year. And I still managed to complete the Dublin marathon in October. It'd be not a bother to you to do this year's!

Seriously, this time last year, I was running 5km in 44 minutes! I didn't do my first 10km until June last year. And I still managed to complete the Dublin marathon in October. It'd be not a bother to you to do this year's!

You have done fantastic Quickbeam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

Baby75 wrote: »
    You have done fantastic Quickbeam :)

Ditto to this! When you put it down like that that you didn't do your 1st 10k til June QB, you did amazing work from June-October!!

daisyos you've been given some great advice here and i appreciate the confusion over the title of the races you've done and then the typo caused further confusion... however another tiny bit of advice is try to avoid using derogatory terms quite so readily next time! Everybody here is giving of their time and advice for free and in my experience anyhow most people really do mean well :)

I'm a couple of years knocking around here but still consider myself a relative newbie and am in awe of the level of experience here and the willingness to offer encouragement, support and advice across every level.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Ditto to this! When you put it down like that that you didn't do your 1st 10k til June QB, you did amazing work from June-October!!

daisyos you've been given some great advice here and i appreciate the confusion over the title of the races you've done and then the typo caused further confusion... however another tiny bit of advice is try to avoid using derogatory terms quite so readily next time! Everybody here is giving of their time and advice for free and in my experience anyhow most people really do mean well :)

I'm a couple of years knocking around here but still consider myself a relative newbie and am in awe of the level of experience here and the willingness to offer encouragement, support and advice across every level.

I agree 100% Ariana the support and advice is brilliant here better than any I have ever gotten off boards :)

Advertisement