Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyer questions - Dublin city

• 01-01-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,
    I am looking to a buy an apartment in Dublin city. I am a single applicant and new to the country. Got a couple of silly questions - forgive me.

Is it possible to negotiate the property price with the agent or is that a no go in Dublin city?

What are the possible checks I need to do before I commit to a property? Anything in particular that I should look out for? Any particular questions I should ask the agent?

Would I be able to claim the first time buyer rebate if I will buy a 1 bedroom apartment (not a new property) as a single applicant?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is it possible to negotiate the property price with the agent or is that a no go in Dublin city?

It's totally not a 'no go', you can negotiate just as you would buying a secondhand car. But the price being asked is usually realistic, especially in the case of apartments because it's easy to compare their asking price with similar apartments in the area or even in the same block.
    What are the possible checks I need to do before I commit to a property? Anything in particular that I should look out for? Any particular questions I should ask the agent?

The problem with asking the selling agent questions is that anything they tell you can be denied afterwards so most people take everything they say with a grain of salt (=scepticism).

But by all means ask if there are any issues with the neighbours and ask if there are any planning issues like new developments proposed in the immediate area - a new apartment block or supermarket next door for example could ruin any nice view from the apartment you're considering.

You could also ask if the block is 100% in private ownership or if the local council has purchased some of the apartments for social housing. Whether you like it or not, that will affect the resale price when/if you decide to move on.

If you decide to buy, be careful before handing over a deposit - ask what you're getting for your money (when will the vendor sign a legally-binding agreement to sell at the agreed price, can you be gazumped?) and consider talking to a solicitor before doing so. You will need a solicitor anyway to handle the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nomadtraveler

Thanks @coylemj. That helps! Social housing question had not even crossed my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

If the Apartment was built anytime between our glorious years of the Celtic Tiger well ......Buyer Beware.........in very big letters
    Check all Fire Safety, check it has been checked anbd cleared recently by Fire Safety Officers, check if it has legal cladding, get a thorough and I mean thorough building inspection done by someone competent.Just look at todays papaers about Spencer Dock as a warning. Trust no one who tells you everything is fine..........Check the Management company and yearly fees over the last few years for increases, check the lift schedule of repairs if the re are lifts in the buildings. Are there any major repairs due on the block you might have to pay for in the near future. Are commmon areas maintained. ...Talk to owner occupiers in the building to see how they are getting on ........Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mortgage87

Hi All,

I'm just looking for some advice and see what those who have bought in Dublin experiences have been. Basically, I am looking to buy my first place in Dublin later this year / early next. I would have a deposit saved of circa EUR 55k, and have a salary of 65/70k gross per annum.

Ideally, I would love a house (even a 2 bed with a back garden would be great), as I like a space for the summer if possible (even a small garden would do). I'm just wondering if people have any advice, or if people this this would be possible, or am I better off not to waste my time and make do with an apartment instead.

Just wondering if people had any advice - any and all advice would be most welcome as I'm quite new to all this if I'm honest (and from my online research, the Dublin market seems extremely difficult to get on the ladder).

Many Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭chancer007

Dublin very expensive at the moment.
    What about moving outside Dublin & commuting?
    If your job allows working from home, might be worth looking into.
    Best of Luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement