Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I unlimited broadband usage or not?

Options
  • 01-01-2018 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hi, I signed up for 1000mb unlimited broadband,
    on eirs homepage it says "with  no limits",
    when I check usage on myeir it says "you have used xxxgb/unlimited".

This month i used 1300Gb and am being charged for going over 1000Gb limit.

You can see where my confusion comes from.

So is it it unlimited or not? (please give me a direct answer).

ty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

no it's not unlimited -  Eirs totally unlimited, with no limits broadband is limited to 1TB combined up/down. I think they charge in the region of €100 or something when you go over this? 
    I know that Sky are totally unlimited, and I believe that Virgin may also be.
    I don't think that anyone has ever taken Eir to the Small claims court over this, but I suspect it they did they would win.
    Sorry for your troubles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

ty

Hi Duff Man Jr, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

There is a fair usage policy that is applied to all packages. All details are within the terms and conditions, you can view them here - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf The fair usage policy details are on page 5, point 5. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I had the same issue with them last year. I was informed its "all you can eat, up to a point".

I pointed out that their advertising is misleading in that case & was met with a rude "it is what it is".

Im now a sky broadband customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

ty

Hi Duff Man Jr, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

There is a fair usage policy that is applied to all packages. All details are within the terms and conditions, you can view them here - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf The fair usage policy details are on page 5, point 5. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    That's a gas document, unlimited is used on everypage of that doc until page 5 point 5 when it says unlimited is actually 1tb after that your unlimited usuage is charged. 

Think EIR need to change the wording on the adverts, and look up unlimited in the dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

What are you doing to use 1300GB in a month??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What are you doing to use 1300GB in a month??
    a few hours a day of UHD streaming on netflix or any other streaming service will cuase you to go over "... the specified monthly download/upload limit" of Eir's "totally unlimited" packages every month... or downloading a few games a week onto an Xbox or PS4.....or many many other everyday things

What is 'Misleading Advertising'?
    Misleading advertising means advertising that deceives or is likely to deceive anyone that sees it. Misleading advertising may affect consumers’ choices regarding what they buy. It’s worth bearing in mind, that it may be an offence for a trader to advertise good or services if it is likely to mislead and therefore cause loss, damage or injury to the public. The following are examples of how advertisements can be misleading:

Claims made about the characteristics of goods and services contain a false statement of fact. (Example: A product weighs 900g instead of 1 Kg)
    The price or manner in which the price is calculated, is misrepresented. (Example: Goods are not offered at sale prices, but advertised as such)
    The conditions of supply of the goods or service differs to that advertised. (Example: 'free delivery' actually involves a fee or charge)
    The attributes of the advertiser, (the advertiser's identity, assets etc.) were untrue. (Example: 'an Irish based company' turns out to be based abroad)
    Advertisements can be deceptive in other ways. For example, if they conceal or leave out important facts. (Example: '50% off everything' - really only applies to certain items). Advertisements are also considered misleading if they create a false impression even if everything stated in the advertisement may be literally true]

Your only hope of getting them to change this is to complain to the advertising standards authority. And if you feel you have been aggrieved small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

eir have now changed their pricing for going over, it is now 50 euro per 10GB up to a maximum of 100 euro, as soon as my contract is up in 4 months i am moving to sky.

Advertisement