Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year, New Attempt

Options
  • 01-01-2018 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Alrighty, in an effort to keep some accountability I'll try to update this. I'm aiming to do gym work 3 times per week and one or two nights of cardio when football starts back up soon. Very vague goal is to get fitter and stronger but it's more of a consistent lifestyle change I'm looking for. I go through phases where I go to the gym for 2/3 months then not again for the next 6 months to a year. I have access to a pretty crap gym which only has dumbbells, a rowing machine, and 2 treadmills which I can't use because the roof is too low/I'm too tall. Nevertheless, it will have to do!
    Stats;
    Male, 32, 6'0, 75kgs
    Diet;
    Varies wildly. Some days good, some bad. I eat too much junk food and probably not enough real food. Dry January and healthy eating for the next month to see if I can keep it up with the odd cheat day at the weekend. I don't plan on keeping an accurate calorie count but I'll try to eat lots of real foods and very little processed food. My weight hasn't changed by more than + or - 4/5 kgs in the past 10 years I'd say.

The routine I have tentatively settled on is the following (any advice or recommendations are very welcome!);
    Warm up - 5 x 500m row, each under 2 minutes with 60 second break in between. 
    1. DB Bench Press (Worried that the DBs will be too light) 3x12-15
    2. DB Row (Same as above) 3x12-15
    3. Weighted Sit Ups 3x8
    4. Renegade Rows 3x12
    5. Bulgarian split squats 3x10
    6. Overhead press 3x12
    7. Single leg DB deadlift 3x12
    8. DB 1 arm swing 3x12
    I will probably adapt/substitute parts of this as I go if something isn't working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

First off, i don't if you've done 5x500m on the rowing machine before but if it's just a warm up, 60s is quite a short break.

I'd also add some more leg work in there. DB RDLs for example.

And some pull ups for vertical pulling

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

First off, i don't if you've done 5x500m on the rowing machine before but if it's just a warm up, 60s is quite a short break.

I'd also add some more leg work in there. DB RDLs for example.

And some pull ups for vertical pulling
    Thanks for the feedback, Alf. I'll add in the DB RDLs and pull ups. Is there somewhere specific you think I should add the RDLs or add it at the end?

I've done that rowing exercise as a warm up before so I think I should be able to manage it. It may take me a few weeks at the beginning to get them all under 2 minutes. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It doesnt really matter where you add them in. The RDLs work hanstrings and glutes. There was a lack of lower body work before that.

Advertisement