Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish sizes

Options
  • 01-01-2018 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

After talking to a lot of people over the fishing season I have found many people have different opinions on what size fish to throw back the big or the small ones when fishing on regulated fish. Personally I think keeping the big ones give the small fish a chance to grow and spawn as they have longer to live. What is your guys opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Bigman420 wrote: »
    After talking to a lot of people over the fishing season I have found many people have different opinions on what size fish to throw back the big or the small ones when fishing on regulated fish. Personally I think keeping the big ones give the small fish a chance to grow and spawn as they have longer to live. What is your guys opinions?

Opinions are just that..... Opinions. There are certain bag limits and size limits/restrictions that need to be adhered to in Ireland for various species regardless of popular "opinions"

http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm

I do know from talking to Eastern European anglers that some of these laws such as the coarse fish maximum limit of 25cm is completely opposite to the laws in their home country where they are required to keep the bigger fish and return the small ones.

I guess it's more a matter of scientific debate as to which method best provides adequate conservation of fish stocks. I suspect protecting fish over a certain size allows the bigger sexually mature fish with better genes to breed and pass those genetic traits on to the next generation

Tight lines to all in 2018

Advertisement