Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton vs Manchester United : 17:30 Sky Sports

12346»

Comments

Agree had the ref seen the kick out at Mata.

All his actual tackles seemed fair game to me though.

It's funny, when I saw McCarthy approaching the line to be subbed on, I said out loud to myself "Herrera is going to the ER in about two minutes". I just knew he was going to come in hot and heavy. He relishes playing against United and I dread the sight of him. That's a compliment.

I'm not a million miles away from agreeing with you about his challenges being 'fair game'. As a United fan, it was frustrating to watch, and concerning for our players. As a football fan who thinks that modern teams lack such physical characters, I do like to see more of that aggression.

But there has to be a safety net, a line, an understanding that you are all pros out there and that seriously injuring your opponent and interfering with their career is just not on.

McCarthy's 'passion' just veered a bit too far into reckless territory for me to fully agree that there was nothing wrong with his challenges. With at least two of those challenges, one with Pogba, McCarthy basically gave the United player an ultimatum - Jump or get your leg split in two.

I do like the physical aspect, do think that for the most part it is missing from the modern game, but McCarthy could have done a bit of damage out there today.

Still though, it worked very well for a period of time until United got the second goal, and once the referee let it continue, why would McCarthy stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah Jesus come on he played well but the assists were simple 5 yard passes. The goals were all about the finishes and nothing to do with the assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

M!Ck^ wrote: »

How many goals has he scored this season?

How many goals has he scored this season?

3 in 12 for a CM
    Please continue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Good win today for Utd,was badly wanted

On another note was good to see James McCarthy back in action,he did make an impact when he came on,he got stuck into the Utd lads

Be great if we could some of that attitude in a green shirt now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ah Jesus come on he played well but the assists were simple 5 yard passes. The goals were all about the finishes and nothing to do with the assists.

First assist was an excellent pass. Few players could make that pass. Granted Everton were disorganised because of Rooney's mistake but it was a lovely pass to pick Martial.

Good one Niallo!!

Turtwig has it cleared up for ya tho ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

One very good pass, one standard. Some of his other passes were better and that no look pass between players into the box was phenomenal, shame nothing came from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

M!Ck^ wrote: »

does that include rooneys assist from the missed peno and they assist he gave you for the first goal today? :P:D

• Advertisement

does that include rooneys assist from the missed peno and they assist he gave you for the first goal today? :P:D

Rooney missed a peno today???

Rooney played his part in the counter attack alright :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You don't happen to sell carpet do you? I'm in the market for a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lawred2 wrote: »
    You haven't been watching Everton too closely obviously. Sam's been lucky more than anything.. they've been outplayed in pretty much every game since he took charge. The wins were largely a consequence of a run of penalty awards and not of any sort of actual creativity. At the other end they were tight but enjoyed a lot of luck. Luck that Koeman was not getting. However in the last two games that little bit of luck has run out. And we've seen two dire performances against two of the worst sides in the league.

They will be tight at the back and that's about it. Once United score that will be pretty much curtains.

Might not be a goal fest but will still be a comfortable away win. Can't see anything else.

predictable Everton

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I like your attitude, you know your 100% wrong but keep on fighting
    I do hope you never have the option to march on Moscow in winter though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

irishman86 wrote: »
    I like your attitude, you know your 100% wrong but keep on fighting
    I do hope you never have the option to march on Moscow in winter though :pac:

So you think they were wonderful passes. All you do is say the same thing about everyone's posts you don't agree with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

So you think they were wonderful passes. All you do is say the same thing about everyone's posts you don't agree with it.

Well i dont agree with them so stands id feel the same way regardless of content
    And yes the first pass was a wonderful pass as well as countless others that others couldnt capitalise on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

mikel made his career around 5 yard passes...of course he was just another attacking midfielder ruined by jose converted to DM

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

monkey9 wrote: »
    Awful and late by Holgate

I'm starting to think that these 'taking one for the team' tackles and stopping the counter attack should be red cards, certainly ones like that. He has no intention of getting the ball and Lingard could have been seriously injured there. He's running at pace, it could easily break his leg or ankle.
    If this ever materialises Pep will have to retire. Press high and kill the counter attack on the halfway line has been his stock in trade for years....

Just my own thoughts...

1st goal: Both the assist and the finish were top quality. They both needed each other - I don't think anyone else on the field for United would have had both the vision and execution to pull off that quick pass but Pogba (maybe Mata). Also, anyone but Martial receiving it (maybe Lingard too) and we would not have seen such a strike come off.

When Pogba played that ball to Martial, you'd have to be sure that it was for Martial to shoot. Only for Pogba's vision, there would have been no goal. Only for Martial's skill and execution, there would have been no goal. Both the assist and goal were quality and greatly depended on each other, IMO.

2nd goal: That's different than the first. No harm to Pogba, and I'm a huge fan of his, but you'd almost have to give the assist to Lingard as well. Even though that's not the way it works officially, but hopefully you know what I mean.

When Lingard received the short pass from Pogba, he still had lots of work to do to get that strike away. When Pogba played that pass to Lingard, he probably didn't think that he was laying it up for a likely shot at goal, unlike with Martial for the first goal. In that area of the field, he probably expected the ball back from Jesse and a bit of interplay between the two of them to try to break the Everton line.

However, Jesse clearly had different plans and shocked most people watching. There's a part of me still trapped in yesterday staring at the screen thinking 'Wha?!?'. Martial's goal was sweet, no doubt, but Lingard's made me temporarily malfunction.

Sure, it was a simple pass from Pogba, but we can't fault him for that, at all, as it is what the situation required. Jesse gifted him an assist for the stats chart though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement