Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muck Heap Disposal

Options
  • 01-01-2018 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

What does everyone do with their muck heap? Do you all have a properly constructed concreted area and have you anyone who takes the muck away periodically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

One defined area away from any water source, not concreted.

Once a while someone comes with a power box or a mini digger to push it where it needs to go and turn it.

My main issue is that I went from using straw to using shavings. I haven't mix them and try keeping the shaving on a side, no idea how long it will take for them to disappear though. What are you using yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Problem with Wood Derived bedding is that it's unsuitable for spreading on farmland. Takes up to 5 years to break down and hold a lot of water It can be used as a garden compost after 2/3 years
    Brilliant for Certain vegetables like Spuds, Onions and Garlic.
    But it's not popular with the flower growers where everyone will jump at straw based manure.
    I have a rocky bit of ground that I have dumbed it on for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

I get a company called equiskip, who leave a skip with youi and then replace it when its full. they are brilliant, and its so handy and neat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

paddi22 wrote:
    I get a company called equiskip, who leave a skip with youi and then replace it when its full. they are brilliant, and its so handy and neat

If you don't mind me asking, are they expensive? I assume they use the manure then for their own produces so do they charge for the skip?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Buzyizzy

paddi22 wrote: »
    Wow, what a fabulous idea. Next question I guess is how much is it? I shall investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Buzyizzy

Great idea, but they don't cover the area I shall be living in, but thanks anyway. Also, at E120 per skip, I reckon a concrete base will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Buzyizzy wrote: »
    Also, at E120 per skip, I reckon a concrete base will be cheaper.

Ouch! Although great business idea. Get paid for getting the manure, then selling the manure and also getting paid. You just need to pay for skip transport and bags. I remember when people used to pay to get composted muck heaps, not charge...

Ouch! Although great business idea. Get paid for getting the manure, then selling the manure and also getting paid. You just need to pay for skip transport and bags. I remember when people used to pay to get composted muck heaps, not charge...

Yes for regular manure, but that probably doesn't apply for wood chips, which can't be used as a compost..

I just came across a few articles about recycling wood chips horse manure into biofuel, they do that in Finland, it seems very interesting! if any one has information?
    http://www.bioenergyadvice.com/bio-fuels/horse-manure/

Advertisement