Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ireland already selling easter eggs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

jimmynokia wrote: »

No he died and rose again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

All i can say is jesus wept..
    leave the crying babby alone, he's only a week old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Have you tried simply not letting it bother you, in the same way you don't let all the other stuff you don't buy regularly bother you? Shops sell stuff I don't buy all the time and it's really not a problem. Why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

JohnC. wrote: »
    Have you tried simply not letting it bother you, in the same way you don't let all the other stuff you don't buy regularly bother you? Shops sell stuff I don't buy all the time and it's really not a problem. Why is this?

Not a problem with me as I wont buy but its consumerism gone to the dogs,if you think its not too early or fine the thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've even seen Easter eggs on sale earlier than this. We do have an early enough Easter this year.
    People always get into a flap over the Easter eggs and Christmas stuff but when the summer things such as flip flops/shorts/etc come out in December nobody bats an eye lid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

are they trying to provoke controversy?

TBF they can be bought anytime of year Summer does not only pply to Ireland and its Summer in other countries for a good time of the year. People travel..
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105699367&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Not a problem with me as I wont buy but its consumerism gone to the dogs,if you think its not too early or fine the thats ok.

It's a shop. Consumerism really shouldn't be a surprise. It's their purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Sure its only chocolate

TBF they can be bought anytime of year Summer does not only pply to Ireland and its Summer in other countries for a good time of the year. People travel..
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105699367&postcount=6

I know this but it's really aimed at people going on holidays in May=August. It can be hard to pick up pair of flip flops/shorts(apart from sport shorts) if your a man from about mid August to Mid December in my experience but then they start on Summer 2018.

• Advertisement

I know this but it's really aimed at people going on holidays in May=August. It can be hard to pick up pair of flip flops/shorts(apart from sport shorts) if your a man from about mid August to Mid December in my experience but then they start on Summer 2018.

I only bought flip flops other day for a trip this month.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Every year this happens and every year - outrage.
    When will it end;):D

Every year this happens and every year - outrage.
    When will it end;):D

Wait until Brown Thomas opens their Christmas shop in August!

emo72 wrote: »
    are they trying to provoke controversy?
    possibly, also the OP mentioned the price, it is really high, I saw in the comments a person saying what I reckoned too, that they are doing this to take advantage of the "price reduced" laws, where an item has to be on sale for a certain time at a certain price before they can legally say it is "now half price".

This is sort of a consumer issue people should be aware of. People may be unaware of the prices of certain things and so presume a shop is usually selling stuff "at the going rate" when really they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

In fairness to the store managers, they've probably had big deliveries of centrally ordered bulky items that need getting out of the warehouse to create space. The area they're going into will be seasonal so probably sharing with Valentines offers.

I worked in retail years back and usually put Easter displays up after Valentines. A lot of retailers now are hardly bothering with seasonal stuff as the supermarkets and likes of Dealz and Mr Price have taken most of it and can show you up badly on price (no point stocking anything in the 2-5 euro range that they might do similar for 1.50 to 3)

I have to be honest, i find it a bit silly and a little daft that they are trying to flog easter eggs so early in the year.

On the other hand, I like easter eggs. I like the thin chocolate and the general texture of easter eggs. They're an enjoyable little treat and when easter goes, they don't seem to get replaced with a similar product, so I think it's good that you can get them, if you enjoy them.

The only similar chocolate i can really find is the thin dairy milk bar, but unless you're getting that in a selection box, you'd never buy it as the cost of a single bar is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Easter is early this year!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's a double holiday this year April Fools day too. Eggs and fooling now that's a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Easter Eggs are always delivered between Christmas and New Year. Creme eggs always officially hit the shelves on Jan 1st. I don't see the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just saw this on Facebook :pac:

437532.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

finally some good news.
    crème eggs are in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

It’s the same every year. Picked up some creme eggs on Saturday in Tesco. They had a limited selection of Easter eggs beside the discounted Christmas sweets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭MoonshineMonty

Easter is only four months away. Picked up a few creme eggs yesterday. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Dunnes had creme eggs on Christmas Eve 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Someone mentioned to me that it was useful for sending eggs sea mail overseas (which can take three months). Note An Post doesn't do this but Royal Mail does so could be a Tesco Group policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

splinter65 wrote: »
    Dunnes had creme eggs on Christmas Eve 2016

I picked up some creme eggs as a last minute Christmas present Christmas Eve this year.

Easter Eggs are always delivered between Christmas and New Year. Creme eggs always officially hit the shelves on Jan 1st. I don't see the issue
    The issue I would have, and am amazed the mangers do not have, is that shelving space can be scarce in supermarkets, some items might have sold out and have yet to be restocked, yet we have these shelves stacked to the brim with very bulky items which nobody is buying (that I can see), just makes no sense to me.
    I have to be honest, i find it a bit silly and a little daft that they are trying to flog easter eggs so early in the year.

On the other hand, I like easter eggs. I like the thin chocolate and the general texture of easter eggs. They're an enjoyable little treat and when easter goes, they don't seem to get replaced with a similar product, so I think it's good that you can get them, if you enjoy them.
    So have you bought any yet? do you usually buy them around now? esp. when they are still at ludicrous prices. Has anybody in this thread bought them in Jan, or even seen anybody else in a shop buying any?

Creme eggs are a totally different story, I would not bat an eyelid seeing someone buying or eating one at any time during the year. They are just like chocolate bars/snacks, they used to come in various "seasons" and were all year round before. Easter eggs are more a gift item, nowadays they are so cheap I could imagine people buying just for the chocolate, but I would think it weird to see somebody eating one now.
    amtc wrote: »
    Someone mentioned to me that it was useful for sending eggs sea mail overseas (which can take three months). Note An Post doesn't do this but Royal Mail does so could be a Tesco Group policy.
    I have never heard of people posting eggs, why would an post "not do this"? or do you mean royal mail have some hugely discounted rate? Posting eggs overseas that sell for as little as €1.50 seems like nonsense. If it was some expensive belgian egg going to a distant relative who cannot get them where they live fair enough, but not these crappy bog standard dairy milk eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Teddy1690

in my opinion I think its ridiculous having easter eggs on sale in January I mean how do you even try explaining it to small kids that see the easter eggs and think its easter next week... sorry kids its not for months yet. But that the big companies taking advantage of everything these days and turning Christmas easter and any other holiday they can in to commercial holidays for there financial gains. destroying holiday spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

bah humbug. don't be a scrooge

• Advertisement

Teddy1690 wrote: »
    But that the big companies taking advantage of everything these days and turning Christmas easter and any other holiday they can in to commercial holidays for there financial gains.
    But is there financial gain? as I said, I never see people buying them now. Little kids might see them but I never heard of parents giving them eggs in january to shut them up.

People often moan and report tubs of celebrations & heroes going on sale in shops "early" which I have zero issue with, i.e. they have this idea that they are christmas sweets, but they are out all year round, maybe not in full size tubs but certainly in boxes up to 500g or so. They are not traditional christmas gifts, I DO see people buy them months before christmas, and eating them, nothing odd about that, just like creme eggs.
    bah humbug. don't be a scrooge
    shouldn't it be Judas or something. If Dickens wrote scrooge today its more likely Scrooge would be visited by "The Ghost of Late August".

Advertisement