Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ireland already selling easter eggs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if someone wants to ruin Christmas by having it start in July then why cant we have Easter in January. its the same thing.

I'm all for curtailing this nonsense and limiting things like this to the actual time of year, I agree about the premature bringing out of crap like this is ruining the events. they should be limited . but it would have to be fair and across the board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Might be a straightforward practical reason. Storage space can be very tight in some stores, and shelves may be pretty bare after Christmas so to kill 2 birds with one stone the empty shelves were stocked with the eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Might be a straightforward practical reason. Storage space can be very tight in some stores, and shelves may be pretty bare after Christmas so to kill 2 birds with one stone the empty shelves were stocked with the eggs.

Good suggestion.

Still shocking to be fair. I might just go down there and buy some. So there will be less there to offend people. :D

ThisRegard wrote: »

it is basic store logistical issue .
    if they put normal stuff there then they would have to move it all again in 2 months time. easier to just leave the store set up and fill the spare shelves with seasonal stuff.

I'm going to buy one now as well. I wonder do they have any left over christmass stuff . or haloween stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm going to buy one now as well. I wonder do they have any left over christmass stuff . or haloween stuff

Last year I got a stack, and I mean a proper stack! of selection boxes. A woman had a trolley full too saying it would do for kids lunches for months. They were not short dated or anything. Some easter eggs do have short enough dates as I think the wrapping is not great at preservation and they begin to make them many months in advance. (not that I would turn my nose up at chocolate past its BB date).

Can't remember the price of the selection boxes but it was stupidly cheap, absolute idiots as they would have gotten at least twice or 3 times the price. But oh no, we have to make way for the easter eggs that nobody is going to buy for months!

rubadub wrote: »
    So have you bought any yet? do you usually buy them around now? esp. when they are still at ludicrous prices. Has anybody in this thread bought them in Jan, or even seen anybody else in a shop buying any?

I don't often venture into Tesco, but I'd pop into my Centra regularly. They'll generally have them in a couple of weeks and they'll do a 3 for €5 deal on the 'medium' (which are actually small) eggs.

And yep, I'd buy a few. This year I'm watching my weight for an important upcoming event, but I'm sure a few guggie eggs will somehow work their way into my belly before the official Easter date falls upon us.

thanks for the heads up.. I had 2 crème eggs today. delicious

they'll do a 3 for €5 deal on the 'medium' (which are actually small) eggs.

And yep, I'd buy a few.
    If they are on offer that makes sense, these days when an offer is going they are cheaper than bars, often even cheaper than mulitpack bars even with the additional packaging. Never heard of good offers in Jan though, but am more often in tesco. Like your goodself (badself?;):pac:) I much prefer the thin chocolate, melts in the mouth easier. I melt & blend my own bars with coconut oil but that is for the nutrition forum!

As "standard" bars have dropped in weight in recent years the eggs can be a very good price per kilo.

When I was a kid in the 80s I was told I was allowed an egg of £X value, I was allowed pick a bog standard egg and some extra bars or a pack of creme eggs up to that value. I was jealous of a neighbour who got a similar deal but was allowed skip the overpriced egg nonsense and just get nothing but bars! Even back then me and other young skinflints were calculating price per kilo!:p

Looking at a thread last year it was 5 "medium" eggs for 5euro. The eggs were about 130g including bar. I was saying these were previously "small eggs". In my day a "standard/medium" egg was a reasonable egg, each side was ~50g, so 100g in total and you got 2 full size bars along with it, most over 55g back then. These days you get a single small bar and the egg described as "medium". The "small" is looking like a creme egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

This has really f*cked me off.....no idea why so much but really its just ridiculous goings on. No need whatsoever apart from greed on their part.

We're freewheeling from one "consumer holiday" to the next these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Yet people be in Easter Sunday giving out that we're sold out! ( I work in a supermarket) happens every year!

368100 wrote: »
    No need whatsoever apart from greed on their part.
    but do they really make money from it,easter is on april fools day this year, which is early for easter. Are people actually buying now? are they overbuying? I just do not comprehend it.
    Yet people be in Easter Sunday giving out that we're sold out! ( I work in a supermarket) happens every year!
    Well some might leave it last minute expecting a bargain, or a forgotten person, but as you work in a supermarket can you tell us if there are big sales in jan or feb, esp. if there is no obvious offer on the go?

but do they really make money from it,easter is on april fools day this year, which is early for easter. Are people actually buying now? are they overbuying? I just do not comprehend it.

Well some might leave it last minute expecting a bargain, or a forgotten person, but as you work in a supermarket can you tell us if there are big sales in jan or feb, esp. if there is no obvious offer on the go?

A longer sales period is bound to increase sales and capture more market share over competitors who arent greedy *****

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One of the main reason for things like this in my opinion is the size of supermarkets now. They've seasonal shelves and they need to be filled. Most of these supermarkets have done there research and they know what sells and their not going to fill their shelves with items that don't sell or are not profitable. Running a business is hard work and with all their overheads I don't blame them for trying to make as much money as possible.

A longer sales period is bound to increase sales and capture more market share over competitors who arent greedy *****

then why do we not see them selling easter eggs in june, if a longer sales period is bound to increase sales? are they simply oblivious idiots not copping on to your theory?

or can you / do you admit/recognise that there is a line somewhere? If I was a manager in tesco I would rather my shelves be full of stuff which was selling. I am genuinely puzzled by it and not a single person has made me think twice.

The "greedy" person in my mind is the smart one who has timed it right to maximise their profits. As a 12 year old I remember my first day in "commerce" being told the basic definition of a business is to maximise profits.

also this makes perfect sense to me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Creme_Egg#Availability
    Availability[edit]
    Creme eggs are available annually between 1 January and Easter Day.[5][6] In the UK in the 1980s, Cadbury made Creme Eggs available year-round but sales dropped and they returned to seasonal availability.[7]

then why do we not see them selling easter eggs in june, if a longer sales period is bound to increase sales? are they simply oblivious idiots not copping on to your theory?

]

They aim to stock the seasonal shelves in the store In June you'd be stocking fathers day/BBQ/Summer and back to school.
    Between now and Eater there's valentines day which will get a small section and this will be replaces with Mothers day.

or can you / do you admit/recognise that there is a line somewhere? If I was a manager in tesco I would rather my shelves be full of stuff which was selling. I am genuinely puzzled by it and not a single person has made me think twice.

The "greedy" person in my mind is the smart one who has timed it right to maximise their profits. As a 12 year old I remember my first day in "commerce" being told the basic definition of a business is to maximise profits.

also this makes perfect sense to me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Creme_Egg#Availability[/quote

In line with your thinking, that it doesn't increase sales, why do it do early then?

Ive no objection to any company or otherwise making profits.....i work in an industry that depends on it.

My qualm with this is despite an emergence from a recession, families can be very stretched financially over these few weeks without this rubbish of pushing the next seasonal sales agenda at consumers at the earliest possible opportunity....absolutely no reason it couldn't be left until the end of January when at least Christmas is behind people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daisyos1

I bought a creme egg in Tesco today. I was happy out! :)

My advice to people with kids who's worried about this would be,
    Bring the kids to mass every weekend between now and Easter. Make them giving up something they like and bring them to mass everyday off the week during lent. Don't forget first Fridays or Holy days. No meat on Wednesdays or Fridays during lent Go during Holy week and get them to get their feet washed in front of the whole church during Easter week. Teach them what Easter means and then reward them with 3 eggs for €5 on Easter Sunday.

In line with your thinking, that it doesn't increase sales, why do it do early then?
    I said 1 reason was so they could legally claim to have "50% off" in a months time. Otherwise I am really puzzled by it, it was not this way when I was younger, in the same supermarket. Why did they not cop on to this brilliant idea back then?

Only 1 poster here said they bought eggs early BUT they were buying 3 for €5 in centra, which is cheaper than buying chocolate bars so this makes sense, they were eating them there and then. Tescos are very expensive at the moment.

There are loads of photos and facebook comments and paper articles. What clearly stands out to me is that I have not seen a single person saying they have seen people buying them, let alone saying they bought them themselves. All the photos show perfectly stocked shelves, i.e. no gaps where people have taken a single one.

lots of photos here.
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/easter-eggs-in-ireland-already-3766361-Jan2018/

The sun had a photo of a guy with 3 eggs, but turns out its their own reporter! The photo in the shop again shows perfectly stocked shelves
    A Tesco Ireland spokesperson said: “We stock a small range of Easter eggs in selected stores to cater for customers who prefer to stock up early or to buy them over a period of time to help spread the cost.

“The full Easter Egg range will not be in stores until later next year.”

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1990800/tesco-shocks-irish-customers-by-selling-easter-eggs-less-than-a-week-after-christmas/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Oh, you must mean those stores that aren't out to make profits.

I was in Drogheda tesco extra last night and not an egg did I see. :o

Advertisement