Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

pad199207 wrote: »
    You’d be surprised the power of social media and other media outlets on how quickly they can get the word out.

Indeed. Well fingers crossed that everyone gets through it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Anyone able to tell when it calm down in Galway city? Can't make any sense of them charts. Thanks.

10pm I was told earlier!

Might have veered/changed since

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Next high tide in Galway could be seriously high, even if it is delayed after worst of these winds, lag effects of ocean swells piling in ... hope the whole area can be sealed off as the winds will hit full force soon and the high tide is probably closer to midnight (usually is most places at full moon).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I would suggest the centre is tracking a little further north than the Hirlam on the met website.
    Looks like it:

L6GNukp.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Just looking at the webcam at Lahinch surf shop.
    The wash is hitting the windows of the surfshop.
    Tomorrow with the time period between the wave's it's going to be epic to see,but not good for the locals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Wind just starting to pick up in the Athlone area now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still calm enough in north meath, when should we expect eleanor to start effecting us?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Next high tide in Galway could be seriously high, even if it is delayed after worst of these winds, lag effects of ocean swells piling in ... hope the whole area can be sealed off as the winds will hit full force soon and the high tide is probably closer to midnight (usually is most places at full moon).

High tide in Galway has just passed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Slow/modest increase in wind in Dublin 16. 985.2mb atm (at 1730), falling very rapidly. Drop of 4.5mb in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lights flickering in Castlebar, was not meant to be this wild going by the charts, still not as bad as Dylan though, well besides the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gust of 49kts in Shannon at 5:30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

4:30 onwards Lahinch, Doolin or Black head is going to be something to behold.

I suggest if you're going to be a bystander do so at your own discretion, because it's going to be unforgiving and nature has no conscience.

So I wouldn't go for the sake of a thrill.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

First gust in Dublin about 2 minutes made the roof creak

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The UK Met have finally went amber. Gusts of 80-90mph for south NI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Lights just gone in Achill. squall has died down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

A personal weather station in Ballyheane Co. Mayo is reporting a pressure of 971.6 @ 17:31 http://www.weatherlink.com/user/ballyheane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tom_k

Very high wind here, afraid to open the door for fear 'twould lift the roof off the house!

Ballinrobe, South Mayo area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The UK Met have finally went amber. Gusts of 80-90mph for south NI

*Miles* per hour? What is their Red level criteria in that case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

A lot of rain in Sligo town. Few roads unpassable by now I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was it always meant to be this windy in cork city with this storm. I was under the impression that it would be windy but I didn't expect the windows to be moving and making noise.

Gust of 89 km/hr in Castlebar, pressure down to 971.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

It's bad here in Achill. Power is out with very strong north or nw'ly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pressure still falling here at the rate of 4.0 hPa/hr.

image.png

Wind defo WSW as broken low cloud is coming in from a W direction. As others have said, this does not really tie in with the Hirlam prognosis.

Edit: Max gust of 51.8 knots in the last 15 mins.

New Moon

Power outage in Westport, 2526 homes affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Xenji wrote: »
    Power outage in Westport, 2526 homes affected.

Mayo wasn't even in the warning last night! Just shows how these storms can develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gusting to 38 mph at the moment here in Mayo. Power went out momentarily also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wind really starting to pick up here now after a calm but very wet afternoon. Still heavy rain and plenty of surface water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Streaming the storm (albeit rain washed window) from Clondalkin.

Advertisement