Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mayo wasn't even in the warning last night! Just shows how these storms can develop.

Got a gust of 102 km/hr there wsw, taken out some branches, I take back what I said far worse than Dylan, power went in Mayo General Hospital as well.

I know this was a nowcast event, but the storm must of tracked quite a bit further north, worst storm in years here currently in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Xenji wrote: »
    Power outage in Westport, 2526 homes affected.

Even larger one now, 10130 properties affected!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gusting to 38 mph at the moment here in Mayo. Power went out momentarily also.

The demons are dancing a very loud and merry dance here in hell Nacho, you should come join us, we'd love to see you...

:p

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Still chilled in Wicklow

Current Conditions
    8.6 °C
    14.3km/h
    Wind from SW
    Gusts 19.8 km/h
    Dew Point: 8 °C
    Humidity: 95%
    Precip Rate: 0 mm/hr
    Precip Accum: 9.91 mm
    Pressure: 980.92 hPa

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Power on and off here in castlebar. Very bad out !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

MJohnston wrote: »
    Same here in Dublin City. Calm and damp. :confused:

Why are you confused? It's been stated several times on this thread with words and images that the winds would calm down significantly before the storm arrived, with a very rapid increase around 6pm in the East. All forecast.

Well unlike some others, I don't have the luxury of following every post verbatim. My "confused" emoji is to do with reconciling the forecast storm with the very clear calm there was then beforehand as they were poles apart

Sorry if this :confused: you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

LOL I was on the beach around lunch time nr Dungarvan and was talking to an English guy with his girlfriend who were staying in a holiday cottage. Until I told him about the weather forecast he was going to go out fishing in a canoe :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Westerly wind gusting between 78 - 83 km/h in Galway City
    Barometer 983.17 hPa Falling very rapidly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind picking up now in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Nothing but boring rain here in NW Donegal. feeling kinda left out for a change......

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Howling wind in Claremorris, lifting a few tiles. She's a rough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Strong gusts in Athlone now

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Wind is really picking up here. Saorview gone and lights flickered once or twice. Wind much more noticeable than red warning from before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

franklyon wrote: »
    Wind is really picking up here. Saorview gone and lights flickered once or twice. Wind much more noticeable than red warning from before

Where are you frank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Power just gone in Westport.

Howling outside

Met analysis at 5pm. Low less defined, but defo further north, than predicted by Hirlam at least.

yip.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Few more outages being picked up now, over 2k in Carraigaline, over 1k in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

With the wrap-around's current track it is likely to go north of Dublin which may reduce the potential for damage somewhat here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Quite an alarming and sudden increase in wind in Tipp ( last 15 min )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Beginning to blow a gale in Limerick

Not as strong as Ophelia, but stronger than Dylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Wind is really picking up here. Saorview gone and lights flickered once or twice. Wind much more noticeable than red warning from before. In Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Nuala Carey very bland forecast on the European Forecast. Usually if there's a serious weather alert in Ireland it takes precedence but she just said we have an orange wind warning for much of Ireland this evening..

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

All of a sudden here in Roscommon it's gone real stormy. Winds just seemed to come out of nowhere. Ran out to the shef to lock away the bin. Howling sounds from the trees. Scary. Hate this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

So we see a track further north, what does this mean in actuality? 50km? More?

franklyon wrote: »
    Wind is really picking up here. Saorview gone and lights flickered once or twice. Wind much more noticeable than red warning from before. In Mayo

May I ask what region of Mayo you are in (rough idea will do)just to get an idea what is happening where wind wise.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Storm not mentioned on 6.1 headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Escapees

Situation bad in Salthill. Usual car parks flooded and people trapped in cars earlier. Still no emergency services in sight despite calls from different people half an hour ago. Absolute disgrace. Locals eventually resorted to rescuing trapped people themselves when their cars started shifting with the water. Galway Coco should have been more prepared for this, as should the emergency services. All they've done so far is block the prom road near the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

I've seen a few "I didn't know/hear anything about this storm" comments on social media & people genuinely shocked....what do they think an orange warning means.....🙄

Advertisement