Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How do RTE not know this is happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Gone from calming down to getting windy again here in north Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Storm not mentioned on 6.1 headlines.

And TV3 had it as their top story. Very strange considering met eireann relationship with RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Storm hasn't made the top 3 headlines on Rte 6 one news! Crazy considering they had yellow 2cm snow warnings in the top headlines last week. Absolutely bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Live Mace Head data. Mean wind seems to have peaked at 30 m/s (58 knots).

metspedmwebsml.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm not mentioned on 6.1 headlines.

Mad? ME warnings not really any different to Dylan, yet media have not really picked up on Eleanor, which is likely to have much more impact?

Me wonders does it depend who's on duty in Glasnevin? :rolleyes:

Wind continues to pick up in Dublin 16, but nothing dramatic (yet). 983.0mb atm (at 1800), falling very rapidly. Drop of 4.5mb in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

From what I can see and hear from outside this storm feels like Ophelia. I didnt think it got the same attention/status from Met Eireann or am I mistaken ?? The wind is howling down the chimney here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Escapees wrote: »
    Situation bad in Salthill. Usual car parks flooded and people trapped in cars earlier. Still no emergency services in sight despite calls from different people half an hour ago. Absolute disgrace. Locals eventually resorted to rescuing trapped people themselves when their cars started shifting with the water. Galway Coco should have been more prepared for this, as should the emergency services. All they've done so far is block the prom road near the city.
    To be honest that happens nearly every time there is a storm, you would think people would learn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

With the wrap-around's current track it is likely to go north of Dublin which may reduce the potential for damage somewhat here.

Doesn't seem to be going as planned, but if these stronger winds are moving west, then Dublin could still be in the firing line. Gradient still looks tight on the southern flank of that disorganised looking low. Could be just still getting its act together at this point. Hard one to call.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Serious flooding in Galway city centre tonight
    Docks area, Dominic Street, Hynes Road, Flood Street and Salthill best avoided

https://twitter.com/barrabest/status/948252013191684096

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Just listened to the 6pm forecast on RTE Radio 1. Status orange maintained and not upgraded. Advice was given to keep in touch with the forecasts

Huge difference between Dublin Airport and Casement at 6 pm. Casement gusting 38 knots.

METAR EIDW 021800Z 17010KT 150V210 9999 -RA FEW006 SCT010 BKN020 09/07 Q0984 NOSIG=
    METAR EIME 021800Z 20025G38KT 9999 -DZ FEW013 BKN022 BKN043 10/08 Q0983=

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Defined stingjet like feature visible on latest radar image track northeast...

DSjfigEW0AA9cfp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

taylor3 wrote: »
    From what I can see and hear from outside this storm feels like Ophelia. I didnt think it got the same attention/status from Met Eireann or am I mistaken ?? The wind is howling down the chimney here.

Rte had a live show all day for Ophelia and this could potentially rival it nationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'd say RTE still have their Xmas skeleton staff on and can't be arsed covering the storm..same stories being rehashed from Mourning Ireland radio show.

Pay your license fee folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

No mention of storm in the RTE headlines at 6. Maybe the fact that the storm is moving more northerly means that it is going to miss Dublin and densely populated areas on the East Coast so therefore doesn’t warrant much attention. This is a good development as the areas affected are more rural and used to such wind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

That descended rather quickly in south Galway. About 4.30 and the wind went from flat to roaring. Had a bit of a calm there the last twenty minutes but I think it's picking up again.

Absolutely bucketed down rain from about 2PM to 3.30 or so beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Wind is picking up a bit in Clondalkin. It was a very wet drive home!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Winds moderating a little now in Leenane, West county Galway but still very blustery. Gusts over 100km/h recorded before we lost power. Killary Fjord has flooded the road and power out over a wide area... Thank goodness for the Christmas candles!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just had a gust of 47 mph here(Swinford) This is windier than i thought it would be. It seems this has tracked further north than expected. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

#KERRY N86 Tralee/Dingle Rd impassable at Blennerville due to flooding. Prince’s St in Tralee itself also flooded. https://t.co/PSzIBsvOzE #StormEleanor

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Defined stingjet like feature visible on latest radar image track northeast...

DSjfigEW0AA9cfp.jpg

If you track back, the tip of that 'hook' was around Mace Head at 1700....suspect that's what produced the 139km/h gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Half of Galway city centre under water. Waist deep at the docks according to Galway Bay fm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

nagdefy wrote: »
    Rte had a live show all day for Ophelia and this could potentially rival it nationally.

Highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Power out here in Turlough outside Castlebar. Felt gone off the shed roof. Very strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

On rte now

Claremorris gust of 68 knots at 6 pm. Definite stingjet I'd say.

PsMETAR CLAR 021800Z AUTO 27032G68KT //// // ////// 08/05 0978 MSL=

Mace Head gusting 75 knots again in the 6 pm report, but that gust is from the past hour, so may have occurred just after 5 pm. Ten-minute mean speed is now down to 39 knots from 53 at 5 pm.

PsMETAR MACE 021800Z AUTO 27039G75KT 9000NDV BR FEW014/// SCT037/// 09/06 0983 MSL=

Shannon reported a gust of 55 knots

PsMETAR SHAN 021800Z 24037G55KT 9999 FEW010 SCT018CB BKN040 10/06 0987 MSL RERA=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Some serious flooding in Galway city looking at social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Advertisement