Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gusts have moderated in Castlebar but still quite strong, it seems to be a very fast moving system, but it did enough damage in less than an hour, power cuts, branches down and trees felled.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Power gone in Westport area. Several severe gusts, possible sting jet, it's candle time. Reminds me of the 80s. All quiet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Water Vapour image at 4pm. Small 'dry slot' off west coast at the time?

seviri_nat_wv_high_20180102_1600.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Can hear the wind all of a sudden now in Kilkenny city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I think I had a direct hit from the sting jet here in west Mayo,violent gusts knocked out the power immediately just as I was posting,I've never seen the power knocked out so quickly here,couldn't open the front such was the pressure,truely terrifying and amazing to experience,now that's what a storm is like.

Still no power here in the louisburgh Westport area.
    Winds have died Down but are starting to pick up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

power gone in westport. 10k customers affected. mad half an hour of wind in castlebar. seems to have calmed down. lights flicked a few times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Meh nothing special here - mid Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Looking at the Powercheck map I'd say there's currently over 20k homes without power.

Pressure now rising here. 981.48 hPa. Bottomed out at 978.94 hPa at 17.35

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I think I had a direct hit from the sting jet here in west Mayo,violent gusts knocked out the power immediately just as I was posting,I've never seen the power knocked out so quickly here,couldn't open the front such was the pressure,truely terrifying and amazing to experience,now that's what a storm is like.

Still no power here in the louisburgh Westport area.
    Winds have died Down but are starting to pick up again.

powercheck says 21:00 estimated return with 2500 customers affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Over 15,000 properties without power in Mayo at the moment.

Winds have died a bit here in West Clare, nothing special really. Was very gusty for a while but no damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

If anything like the severity of the gusts in Mayo/Galway hit Dublin there may be a lot of damage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rain eased off here in Waterford City.Max Gust of 58km/h at my station. Just a windy mucky night out there now. It looks like the strong winds are in a narrow band to the south of the core.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Newport also reporting gust of 75kn at 1800.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very windy in South Leitrim. Lost power for a few minutes. Surprised at the severity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport recorded a gust of 138.9 km/hr on the 18.00 report.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

UK Met were right with the northward trend.

Can’t see this bringing anything too significant to the Greater Dublin Region

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Newport Mayo also hit 75knots or 139kmh Gust

• Advertisement

68 knot gust at Claremorris. 75 at Mace Hd on met reports.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Wind starting to pick up in north meath now, can anybody tell me how bad is it likely to get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Had to drive to kerry from Limerick very unexpectedly. Didn't seem to be more than a breezy evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Wow I love a good storm but this has been one of the first times I have ever felt frightened by gust strength. I hope everyone will have gotten home ok this evening. Galway city is an absolute mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Flooding in Galway city centre tonight via @rtenews

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/948256345333161984

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Xenji wrote: »
    Newport recorded a gust of 138.9 km/hr on the 18.00 report.

My weather station maxed out again, over 130kmh anyway at my location.
    Power went about 30 mins ago, can see Westport in darkness from here too.
    It's packed some strong gusts here but no records set so far. Hopefully the power comes back soon as I'm at the top of the driveway in the van for signal. Also the van is rocking :)

Curiously, Knock Apt on 40 knots, so strongest wind field didn't make it that far north.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It has gone quieter here now. We had 40 minutes of gusty conditions. The power went for a couple of minutes, then it flicked on and off a few times. We are lucky considering what happened in Westport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The 12Z ECM has shifted the biggest winds more North

L748xMG.png

Advertisement