Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Centre appears to have moved along a track through Mayo to south Sligo and from there will head into Leitrim and south-central Ulster. If you are south of this track and have not yet had strong westerly wind gusts, radar will give you the timing, the squall line feature will be the onset for strong gusts.

With this track, there may be a tendency for weakening of the overall gust strengths moving east as the strong winds fan out over a larger area.

Keep in mind the maximum gust reported is within the hour to observation time while the sustained wind is closer to the observation time. This can explain sometimes why sustained winds seem to be decreasing but gusts are not, actually they may be, but a peak gust occurred within the past hour.

Would estimate onset from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. west to east across Meath and Kildare-Dublin, don't think it will be quite as severe in Dublin as further west but peak gust predictions 62 for Casement and 58 for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Pressure drop of 17.0 hPa at Knock Airport from 3-6 pm. At 5 pm Claremorris was showing a drop of 13.5 hPa / 3 hour, Mace Head 12.6 hPa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Dublin appears to have dodged a bullet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Jeans got kind of damp cycling home from work in Dublin, not damp enough to have to change thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Pressure 968.2 in Sligo town

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like Greater Dublin might escape again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

The fault in Achill is not even registering on the ESB Power check map, but when I rang the emergency number they were aware of the fault-estimated restore time unknown :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wind and gust speeds in Newcastle over the last 12 hrs, though I don't think the station is in located perfect conditions.

Last12HourWindSpeedGust.php

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Pretty quite in Newbridge , plenty of the damp stuff :eek:

• Advertisement

Our friend Rosenbloom seems to be in effect again, with the last-minute shift north compared to model tracks, though the NAE did have a better handle on it, albeit too far north and too strong a stingjet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Gone very quiet in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    May I ask what region of Mayo you are in (rough idea will do)just to get an idea what is happening where wind wise.

Near Castlebar. Went out to clear a tree off the road with chainsaw with my father despite me saying it was dangerous. Anyway tree is moved. Calmed down a bit now but was really howling there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Incredible how brief it was here. 75 knots in Newport is impressive. Scotland and parts of Ulster might record even higher gusts

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is that the worst of it gone by in mayo now or is it expected to pick up again? That half hour or so was pretty scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gusty in East Galway but I think the more northerly track has spared us the brunt of it

Now gusting 52 knots at Knock. It was supposed to be variable 3 knots around now in earlier TAFs! Even this gust is way more than the 35 knots forecast in the 5 pm TAF!

METAR EIKN 021830Z 28041G52KT 9999 -RA SCT003 SCT009 BKN044 05/04 Q0978 NOSIG=

Still getting 40 + knot gusts here in Galway, but they are becoming a lot less frequent.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A deeply unscientific observation, but it’s already worse in terms of gust noise here in Dublin 7 than it was during Ophelia, and it won’t peak for another hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is that the worst of it gone by in mayo now or is it expected to pick up again? That half hour or so was pretty scary.

According to the weather forecast that was just on we should be expecting more from a different system later tonight all along the west coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wind strenght decreased around 5.45pm now back to strong gusts. Pressure reading of 972 hpa

130 m asl North Cork / Limerick / Tipperary border.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Mickeroo wrote: »

Yup worse than any I have experienced here in the last few years. Hopefully won't pick up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Just drove from Ballina to Tuam along the N17 and there were extremely strong crosswinds near Claremorris, my car was shuddering.

Some idiot was driving a high-sided RV at about 30 mph, bad night he picked to be on the move. In fairness, he did pull off the main road eventually, probably to hunker down for a few hours. Not a good evening to be travelling anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

According to the weather forecast that was just on we should be expecting more from a different system later tonight all along the west coast.

Yeah there are two warnings for the west coast in operation. A little confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Was windy in Kildare when I left. Just breezy now in D20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Becoming very windy again in west Mayo,faint bit of moonlight on the horizon over the atlantic,dark cloud tops incoming.

6pm met analysis. Telling..

WEB_Analysis.png

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

franklyon wrote: »
    Near Castlebar. Went out to clear a tree off the road with chainsaw with my father despite me saying it was dangerous. Anyway tree is moved. Calmed down a bit now but was really howling there for a while.

Would the tree not wait Frank? I know i might chance doing the same. Just thinking of the fella who died doing the same in Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tomrob

Lights flickers in balla wind very strong

• Advertisement

Rapid deterioration in the last 8 minutes at Sligo Airport. Gone from 180 07 knots at 18:30 to 47 gust 58 knots at 18:38!

SPECI EISG 021838Z AUTO 31047G58KT 4000 -RA BKN018 BKN024 OVC030 07/06 Q0974=
    SPECI EISG 021836Z AUTO 28031G49KT 230V300 5000 -RA BKN018 OVC026 08/06 Q0972=
    SPECI EISG 021835Z AUTO 27026G36KT 230V290 6000 -RA BKN018 OVC025 08/07 Q0972=
    METAR EISG 021830Z 18007KT 140V230 7000 -RA FEW011 BKN019 OVC030 08/07 Q0972=

Advertisement