Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Galway City centre the docks and Salthill all still no go areas after the sea came in, will post pics later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Flood defenses holding here in Limerick..

Could they not be ars*d to put the second level in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Danno wrote: »
    Just hit a gust of 58mph here in south Laois (that's 93kph in your new over-rated sh!t measurements)

Yep was just about to say it's been very windy here in Laois the last hour with some pretty fierce gusts. Bloody neighbour has a Saorview antenna bolted at an angle to the wall and any time there's any wind at all the damn thing is scraping and clattering.

Maybe it'll come off and I'll get a decent night's sleep later! :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nothing too exciting in Dublin 16...just windy. Pressure rising now. 982.1mb atm. Bottomed at 981.5mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Just got very windy here in Dublin 9, lights flickered too. Think it is time to light some candles

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I just got home at 6.30 to a fairly normal breeze but as soon as I got in the house it went crazy out there for half an hour, not too bad now but that was a bit scary.

Have not followed this today going to catch up now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Wind picking up in East Meath...

See short range forecast >>here<<

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Just got a news alert from RTE to say 50,000 customers without power in Galway, Mayo and Leitrim

Not soprised...i have never seen as many trees down on way from work..unreal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

rafales_uk_fym4.png

pression2_uk_qli5.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,146 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Getting loud in Finglas. I'm at the top of tolka valley road so up a good height roof is rattling like crazy. Gusts are very frequent

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Middle Man wrote: »
    Wind picking up in East Meath...

Yeh, literally in the space of a few minutes my dogs coat went from calm shaggy to

01-windydog-carloscherer.jpg.838x0_q80.jpg

Took him in immediately of course ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not exactly, the second warning was needed to remove Lenister and add Mayo into the warning.

Anyway for everyone the orange warning on the west coast is in operation until 2 pm tomorrow except for limerick(as always) and Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

https://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

@18:00 gusts of 75knots = 139km:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Wind suddenly ramped up in Galway city again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Really getting going here in Arklow the last while. Letter box has flapped so I know it's proper windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Not to spark another controversial topic, but could this be a case of over-reliance on the models, and less on professional intuition? I have heard it said more than once on here that storms tend to track a bit further north than what the models forecast, but is there even any statistical proof of this in itself?

There is an old forecaster rule of thumb (called the Rosenbloom Rule) that rapidly-deepening storm depressions do tend to track left (north) of forecast. It's mentioned in Tim Vasquez' Forecasting Handbook and I think in the annals of NOAA somewhere. Maybe MT can shed more light on it.

It may be due to the effects of a stingjet, which deepens the low faster and hence causes an earlier left turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some large amount of properties without power, new ones for example include over 6k in Carrick on Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Oughterard - We got some amount of rain earlier but it has lightened in the past hour.
    The wind also seems to have peaked and is starting to ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Some flight disruption appearing on flightradar 24 for Dublin Airport, at least 3 planes in a holding position and FR557 Manchester to Dublin appears to be heading back to Manchester after a go around at Dub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Leitrim here. Seriously windy now. Much louder and more boisterous than Ophelia was here. Kind of scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Malayalam wrote: »
    Leitrim here. Seriously windy now. Much louder and more boisterous than Ophelia was here. Kind of scary.

Yea I reckon the winds this time around are a lot wilder and unpredictable than Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Has abruptly picked up here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Holy mudderajaysus...gust of 84 knots at Knock Airport in the past hour!!! :eek:

PsMETAR KNOC 021900Z 28025G84KT 9999 -RA BKN014 BKN040 BKN090 05/04 0981 MSL=

63 knots at Ballyhaise and most likely to increase after 7 pm as the direction is still 240 degrees.

PsMETAR BYHE 021900Z AUTO 24033G63KT 9999NDV FEW026/// SCT035/// BKN040/// 09/05 0974 MSL RERA=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Holy mudderajaysus...gust of 84 knots at Knock Airport in the past hour!!! :eek:

PsMETAR KNOC 021900Z 28025G84KT 9999 -RA BKN014 BKN040 BKN090 05/04 0981 MSL=

63 knots at Ballyhaise!

PsMETAR BYHE 021900Z AUTO 24033G63KT 9999NDV FEW026/// SCT035/// BKN040/// 09/05 0974 MSL RERA=

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yea I reckon the winds this time around are a lot wilder and unpredictable than Ophelia.

Ophelia passed Galway by, this one was certainly wilder and wetter. The way I like it ;)

Advertisement