Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If the Hirlam had of been correct that sting jet would had been headed into Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Eleanor has definitely arrived here now, some of the gusts are unbelievable

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Holy mudderajaysus...gust of 84 knots at Knock Airport in the past hour!!! :eek:

156km/h! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ESB going to be very busy.

IiWnkfV.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Just landed back in Kildare after a fairly horrible drive from Donegal in driving rain, blustery here but nothing of note yet

On Galway, why is nothing ever actually done about the flooding at Salthill? It seems a bit ridiculous in this day and age that every time there's anything more than a breeze the whole place floods

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

House just shook here in Dublin.

Just have to mention that 84kt is a Cat 2 hurricane force gust. :eek:

Yes, yes, different type of storm, different type of measurement, just making the point

20 minutes ago Galway council put out a message warning about high tides between 5 and 6 pm tonight. On the ball as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

20 minutes ago Galway council put out a message warning about high tides between 5 and 6 pm tonight. On the ball as usual.

And their so called flood barrier failed miserably

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm confused as to where the worst winds currently are from reports? I'm in North Kildare. Is it coming or here if you get me? We seem to potentially have dodged a bullet in terms of the worst winds but still a little concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cheers G.L. Must root out those books again.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

Long time lurker. And now new poster here from Cavan Town.

Winds have really picked up in last hour with strong loud gusts. One flash of lightning to the north of Cavan town

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sdanseo wrote: »

Yes, yes, different type of storm, different type of measurement, just making the point

And equals the highest gust recorded during Ophelia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Swellan wrote: »
    Long time lurker. And now new poster here from Cavan Town.

Winds have really picked up in last hour with strong loud gusts. One flash of lightning to the north of Cavan town

Welcome and thanks for joining in

Storm 10 wrote: »

Did you record any high gusts S10? NUI station suggests no more than 40 knots max, but I have heard that the station is not ideally placed.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

DOCARCH wrote: »
    156km/h! :eek:

... or in old money, 96mph at Knock Airport! Very impressive stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Just landed back in Kildare after a fairly horrible drive from Donegal in driving rain, blustery here but nothing of note yet

On Galway, why is nothing ever actually done about the flooding at Salthill? It seems a bit ridiculous in this day and age that every time there's anything more than a breeze the whole place floods

It's not as bad as you might think. The media always make it look a disaster. That car park is lower than the road on the prom which is closer to the sea. The car park actually floods from underneath - the water travels under the road and up through gaps in the rocks/tarmac. It happens very quickly too, even before it looks likely. It's all massive boulders underneath with lots of big gaps for water to find. Bad construction really. The locals know (or should know) not to park there in a storm or high tide. Today is perfect for a storm surge - Westerly gales with a high late tide (5pm)

The prom itself has decent flood defences but certain parts will also get storm surge on a day like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Highest water level on record at Wolfe tone bridge in Galway according to this tweet

https://twitter.com/floodingireland/status/948268884322381825

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

What you take off the sea it always takes back. That area famous for parking in front of seapoint and along the prom is all reclaimed land. You might move the land out but sure the sea wasnt told about it. High tides and big swells with the right conditions will always flood it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

sdanseo wrote: »

Same gust recorded at Roches Point during Ophelia and I think there was a gap in recording thereafter for a while for reasons I dont think were ever explained. I think at fastnet a gust of 190km or so was recorded during ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

North County Dublin. Directly North East of the airport.Things just got very very windy. Front windows getting a battering again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think at fastnet a gust of 190km or so was recorded during ophelia.

But does not (really) count due to the height/exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the esb will be reluctant to go out with a band of wind due in the west

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

koutoubia wrote: »
    North County Dublin. Directly North East of the airport.Things just got very very windy. Front windows getting a battering again.
    Probably near me so, I too noticed the same. I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Same gust recorded at Roches Point during Ophelia and I think there was a gap in recording thereafter for a while for reasons I dont think were ever explained. I think at fastnet a gust of 190km or so was recorded during ophelia.

84 knots was confirmed as the max gust during Ophelia. The one at Fastnet doesn't really count, given its non-standard height and location 6 km offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

In Dublin, I recon the worst winds are now and between 20.00 hrs (according to met office short range forecast)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

A wise old man (well, he was middle aged :pac:) from the Claddagh once told me that the sea will eventually claim Salthill as its own.

New Moon

• Advertisement

My weather station recorded wind gusts around 5.3pm of 75 mph

Advertisement