Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

For anyone listening to my liveatc feed,

The Op's channel has better reception than the main feed. Its Approach / Tower only.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

ESB going to be very busy.

IiWnkfV.png?1

No power or water here in Mayo.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I replaced my front door a year ago and all my windows about 6 months ago. They're all storm proof. Its actually disappointing, because all I can hear is the wind coming the chimney :(

I want to put the windows on vents but the OH is having none of it. I told her to go for a walk haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Worth keeping in mind that Knock is also 200 m asl, but still, an impressive gust for sure in this day and age.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very gusty in liffey valley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

The power went a while ago in the Killala bay area. About 5 minutes later the wind got quite scary. Worst ive heard in a while.
    The power is now back and the wind has died down.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Worth keeping in mind that Knock is also 200 m asl, but still, an impressive gust for sure in this day and age.

It is, but instrumentation is at standard height/exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gusting to 51kts at Dublin Airport currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

All winter people have been saying there are too many weather warnings and now on social media I see fools saying we never heard anything about this 1!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

And equals the highest gust recorded during Ophelia.
    Same gust recorded at Roches Point during Ophelia and I think there was a gap in recording thereafter for a while for reasons I dont think were ever explained. I think at fastnet a gust of 190km or so was recorded during ophelia.
    84 knots was confirmed as the max gust during Ophelia. The one at Fastnet doesn't really count, given its non-standard height and location 6 km offshore.

Yeah 84kt Roches was the highest gust on land. Meanwhile Fastnet recorded sustained Cat 2 speeds, and that was using the 10 minute method IIRC. Probably would have been higher if measured by the yanks.

Starting to really howl outside now. Sounds as bad or even worse than Ophelia in North Co. Dublin. Currently charging phone & laptop just in case.
    Swellan wrote: »
    Long time lurker. And now new poster here from Cavan Town.

Winds have really picked up in last hour with strong loud gusts. One flash of lightning to the north of Cavan town

Welcome aboard the train :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

All winter people have been saying there are too many weather warnings and now on social media I see fools saying we never heard anything about this 1!! Lol
    Doubt the car insurance companies will believe the ones that left their cars parked up on salthill

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yip!

As always, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Meanwhile, in Dublin 16, nothing exceptional/out of the ordinary....just windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Wind picking up now, Finglas, dublin 11

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just walked out the back holding a plate of apple pie. The bástard wind blew the lot out of my hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Serious floods here in Donegal with all the rain, it said on Rte news that it's snowing in places in the north? Any reports here?

Just walked out the back holding a plate of apple pie. The bástard wind blew the lot out of my hand!

If it was a red warning I bet you would not have dared take your apple pie out! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

DOCARCH wrote: »

If it was a red warning I bet you would not have dared take your apple pie out! :P

You got your just desserts.. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Starting to really pick up now in Newbridge , I fear the Xmas lights outside maybe on there final night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yip!

As always, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Meanwhile, in Dublin 16, nothing exceptional/out of the ordinary....just windy.

Just curious, how does your wind speeds compare with that of Casement or Dublin Apt (I believe you are in south Dublin?) because I have noted that both these stations often record much higher wind speeds than say the likes of nearby Dunsany or Oak Park to the SE. Is the Dublin region naturally a winder place than other counties in the greater eastern region?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Looking at the esb power check map and I’m damn happy it went north

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Good start to the new years diet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It's not as bad as you might think. The media always make it look a disaster. That car park is lower than the road on the prom which is closer to the sea. The car park actually floods from underneath - the water travels under the road and up through gaps in the rocks/tarmac. It happens very quickly too, even before it looks likely. It's all massive boulders underneath with lots of big gaps for water to find. Bad construction really. The locals know (or should know) not to park there in a storm or high tide. Today is perfect for a storm surge - Westerly gales with a high late tide (5pm)

The prom itself has decent flood defences but certain parts will also get storm surge on a day like today.

Yeah I used to live up the road from Salthill (on higher ground thankfully!) so I know the area well. Every year there's several cars written off along the prom and the aquarium carpark, it's hard to believe that there's nothing that can be done to improve the situation other than giving people a few hours notice that their cars are going to be under water

Some decent gusts here in north Kildare in the past half an hour but nothing much happening, I assume we've missed the worst of it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Definitely should of been a red warning for apple pie , hopefully you have a dog :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Sitting on a ryanair flight, 2 attempts to land in dublin, now sitting in liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

WIndy enough out there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

In Rush here in North County Dublin. Breezy alright with some moderate gusts but nothing out of the ordinary so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Picked up a lot here in Drogheda, not a night for driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Is there another storm following up after this one? Lights flickering now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A wise old man (well, he was middle aged :pac:) from the Claddagh once told me that the sea will eventually claim Salthill as its own.
    hardly wise in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »
    In Rush here in North County Dublin. Breezy alright with some moderate gusts but nothing out of the ordinary so far.

Murphy’s Law. As soon as I posted the wind picks up and now have some quite strong gusts. :pac:

Advertisement