Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Malayalam wrote: »
    Is there another storm following up after this one? Lights flickering now.

There was mention of a following band of strong winds from a separate storm system along the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Very gusty here now in Dublin 3. Deffo storm force gales

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just curious, how does your wind speeds compare with that of Casement or Dublin Apt (I believe you are in south Dublin?) because I have noted that both these stations often record much higher wind speeds than say the likes of nearby Dunsany or Oak Park to the SE. Is the Dublin region naturally a winder place than other counties in the greater eastern region?

They don't! My anemometer sits on top of the shed roof, about 2m high, and very sheltered from trees just behind! :o That's why I don't, or very rarely, report wind speeds! Every year I swear I will move it.

In SE to SW winds Dublin's wind speeds are affected by the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains (more so than would affect Dunsany or Oak Park).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That was some increase in wind speed in Knock.

Meteociel

LpColq7.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Power just came back here in Achill. Am charging everything up just in case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sitting on a ryanair flight, 2 attempts to land in dublin, now sitting in liverpool

You only made one approach.

Lights flickering in West Clare!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

7pm Met analysis

dfd.png

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Offaly, gusty night but nothing spectacular thankfully. And meantime ECM brings best winter charts for years upcoming...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not to bad here in Waterford thankfully, max gust 46 knots ( 85 kph in New money).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

mojesius wrote: »
    Some eejit in their mini

Jaysus! I hope his insurance company sees that! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Spent the last 5 minutes legging it around the garden after my giant compost bin. The garden hose is now wrapped around it to keep it in place.
    Interested to see the gusts in Dunsany from 7 - 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Anyone know what the TAF's are like for BFS or BHD? Arome is still forecasting some exceptionally strong winds right into the city in the next couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

DOCARCH wrote: »
    They don't! My anemometer sits on top of the shed roof, about 2m high, and very sheltered from trees just behind! :o That's why I don't, or very rarely, report wind speeds! Every year I swear I will move it.

In SE to SW winds Dublin's wind speeds are affected by the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains (more so than would affect Dunsany or Oak Park).

Cheers, slipped my mind that Dublin is in mountain country. Is there no option to even stick it up on the roof/chimney? That is what I did (will, my brother did, as I am terrified of heights) but while far from ideal, it does help a lot to get a somewhat more accurate reading.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Anyone know what the TAF's are like for BFS or BHD? Arome is still forecasting some exceptionally strong winds right into the city in the next couple of hours

BFS's TAF giving up to 65tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Very quiet near Limerick City. There were some rather severe gusts between 5.30 and 6 pm this evening.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Cheers, slipped my mind that Dublin is in mountain country. Is there no option to even stick it up on the roof/chimney? That is what I did (will, my brother did, as I am terrified of heights) but while far from ideal, it does help a lot to get a somewhat more accurate reading.

Keep meaning too, but I just have not got round to it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The wind has really picked up here in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    BFS's TAF giving up to 65tks.

Likewise BHD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Offaly, gusty night but nothing spectacular thankfully. And meantime ECM brings best winter charts for years upcoming...

Yep, gusty, bins clattering thats about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Squally winds and rain picking up here and loud thunder just here now in north Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

(Connaught Airport) PsMETAR KNOC 021900Z 28025G84KT 9999 -RA BKN014 BKN040 BKN090 05/04 0981 MSL=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Texted the son in Maynooth. He said there were strong gusts for about an hour but it’s gone quiet now. Dublin was spared but again the warnings leave a lot to be desired. The shift north was not a wobble; it was a major deviation. I’m not having a go at Met E but the forecasting lately is all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

roof nearly blew off the house there 30mins ago dublin 13. very strong gusts:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Was in the cinema watching star wars during it, anybody know how cork City was? Still in here so can't check! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Casement had a gust of 58 knots in the past hour. Ballyhaise 56 kt. Dublin 54 kt. That's the lot, I reckon. Ronaldsway will be interesting in the next hour.

PsMETAR BALD 022000Z 25031G58KT 9999 FEW015 BKN032 08/05 0983 MSL=

PsMETAR BYHE 022000Z AUTO 27018G56KT 9999NDV SCT016/// BKN021/// OVC026/// 06/04 0979 MSL REDZ=

PsMETAR DUBL 022000Z 25036G54KT 9999 FEW020 09/04 0982 MSL RERA=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Getting windy again here near Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Was in the cinema watching star wars during it, anybody know how cork City was? Still in here so can't check! :)

Far as I know not flooded yet, but it was looking pretty close along Pope's quay about an hour ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

All seems quiet as far as I can tell, but I haven't been outside.

Advertisement