Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Some flooding along the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Lots of reports from Louisburgh area that it was the worst wind event in a long long time, tidal flooding on some main roads which rarely happens. The crazy thing is the swell tomorrow will be MASSIVE all day and there will be high tides again and non stop heavy wind all day, lots more flooding to be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

Reports of trees down and power outages outside Cavan town. The gusts have died down over the last 30 minutes. Rain has just started again, although nothing like it was earlier today when we had torrential rain between 2-30 to 4pm.

"STORM UPDATE: Butlersbridge to Cloverhill Road is blocked near Olde Post with large trees down and will be closed until the morning.
    Also RTC on N3 at Virginia blocking one lane.
    Baker’s Bridge to Milltown blocked also."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jooksavage wrote: »
    Getting windy again here near Thurles

It's died down here in Laois in the last 30 minutes or so. Still windy but definitely quieter. Is there more to come then or is that it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I think the worst is over for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Trishr8

My family are in Murrisk - they said the R335 was under water for a while but it receded after high tide. Lots of trees down apparently and no power last I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lots of reports from Louisburgh area that it was the worst wind event in a long long time, tidal flooding on some main roads which rarely happens. The crazy thing is the swell tomorrow will be MASSIVE all day and there will be high tides again and non stop heavy wind all day, lots more flooding to be expected

without a doubt the worst wind here in Castlebar to in a long time. the morning will reveal lots of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Crazy wind here in south Armagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just drove up to Dublin from Mullingar. Was blustery and wet. Not as bad as earlier on today when I went from Ennis to Mullingar. Rain was pouring down in the west this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

What you take off the sea it always takes back. That area famous for parking in front of seapoint and along the prom is all reclaimed land. You might move the land out but sure the sea wasnt told about it. High tides and big swells with the right conditions will always flood it.

True. There was a photo of that part of Salthill taken in the 1950s floating around online a while ago. Where that car park is now was part of the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

I see Cavan added to Orange alert at 7... After winds started gusting. I understand that it was a now cast but the shift north caught a lot of people on the hop here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Died down here to, but for about an hour we had some unvelievable gusts with the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's died down here in Laois in the last 30 minutes or so. Still windy but definitely quieter. Is there more to come then or is that it?

That's it. Same here in wicklow. Record some Gusts between 60 and 80kph but it's died down mostly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Could see come thunder and lightning in cork
    QpQE3hy.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Trees down here in East Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Died down here to, but for about an hour we had some unvelievable gusts with the wind

Dunsany reported 52 knots, which is fairly high for that station, I think? It's near enough to you, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Not much of anything in Tipperary. Thank feic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Are ye lads paid by Met E? This white knights act is getting a bit painful now :rolleyes:

So are the constant unnecessary bashings at Met Éireann.

Back to Eleanor.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Wind picking up again in Castlebar with some squally wintry showers, went out to check on an elderly relative, got about half way up the borren only to be meet with a large fallen tree blocking the rest of the way, poor fella has no power either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note : Stay on Topic

• Advertisement

Trees down here in East Meath.
    Wind has been quite violent here in the last while - one of our bins was blown over despite being behind a timber fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

without a doubt the worst wind here in Castlebar to in a long time. the morning will reveal lots of damage.

Have a look around the mall, about 8 large branches taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gusts quite strong here in West Clare again, no lessening it seems. Not too violent however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Whilst a few good gusts, looks like the Dublin region dodged a bullet tonight. If the winds which affected the northwest had of hit there would have been lots of damage. Hope you get your electricity back soon and not too much damage up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still gusting in Finglas roof has stopped rattling but I'd imagine exposed areas will still be experiencing this for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Whilst a few good gusts, looks like the Dublin region dodged a bullet tonight. If the winds which affected the northwest had of hit there would have been lots of damage. Hope you get your electricity back soon and not too much damage up there.

Yep, we definitely dodged a bullet but it has been very windy and still wasn't expecting it to be as strong as it has done.

Still gusting in Finglas roof has stopped rattling but I'd imagine exposed areas will still be experiencing this for a while yet.
    There worst is now over I think - wind will be much less by 10pm I reckon...
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dunsany reported 52 knots, which is fairly high for that station, I think? It's near enough to you, isn't it?

Not really, its close to tara, im a good bit more north east to it, close to Wilkinstown

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Ballyhaise Ag College Cavan highest winds at 115kph. Very rare figures for Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Power lines down on the road near mondello park, be careful if travelling near there

Advertisement