Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

And onto the next one we go ,

Next thread in the link below

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057825741

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

so it was a Sting Jet?

Kamili wrote: »
    so it was a Sting Jet?

It certainly looks like it alright, both on satellite and in surface conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

It certainly looks like it alright, both on satellite and in surface conditions.

We were without power in N Cavan from 7pm Tuesday to 3pm the following day. 20hrs the last time this happened been without power for so long was in the 80's.

It was scary stuff at one stage the noise was like a freight train, We dare open the front door has the mail box was flapping so bad and thats with two flaps with one inside aswell. Also almost every road in all directions was blocked or partially by fallen trees. I know new Electric poles had to be put in some areas I witnessed a tree down rapped in wires and all light up.

Talking to other people since then and all have said storm Ophelia had no patch on this storm. But so many people were caught out. Its a mircale there were no deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Sorry for another question, did the sting Jet ever materialise for Orphelia?

Would explain why people felt Eleanor was much worse.

It did for Ophelia too but it happened earlier, before it hit the south coast. It had already peaked by then, so inland areas didn't get the same windspeeds as the low moved northwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sorry for late posting, finally have some time after cleaning up the mess Eleanor left. My small piece of land (1.2 acre or 5000 sq. m if you prefer) and 4 trees down, garden furniture blown away (not too far thankfully) as well as my spare wheels (quite heavy, normally in 2 stacks of 4 wheels each) scattered around the place, plus plenty other, mostly minor things.

Weather data from 2nd Jan - here.

I must admit, that after Ophelia's red warning event which brought almost no damage here, I just ignored Eleanor related warnings. FYI, last year's storm Doris (yellow warning) brought more damage than Ophelia, but less than Eleanor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Longing wrote: »

Talking to other people since then and all have said storm Ophelia had no patch on this storm. But so many people were caught out. Its a mircale there were no deaths.

Im guessing you didnt talk to too many people in Cork and Kerry! Ophelia was a very watered down affair in your neck of the woods but not ours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some good footage on this tweet from Fenit Co. Kerry. Reports of lots of coastal damage locally . Back in Banna today the car park filled with stone and sand, noticed the beach had about a foot of sand or more stripped off it and the sand dunes look like they have been eaten into .

https://twitter.com/bctwee/status/948244802356772864

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/future-of-precarious-kerry-fort-dunbeg-hangs-in-the-balance-1.3346234

http://traleetoday.ie/safety-concerns-storm-damages-part-popular-walkway-outside-tralee/

EFIdeA3.jpg?1

• Advertisement
Advertisement