Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eleanor : Tuesday 02nd PM / Weds 03rd Jan 2108

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain has started in north meath, still unsure what to expect from it here, but sure we'll see how it turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This will be the worst storm in years for the media, as it will actually hit Dublin :D

Will be interesting to watch the reports as it crosses the country, winds will remain strong all night and most of tomorrow for most areas.

Fastnet Lighthouse just saw a gust of 98kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Pangea wrote: »
    The latest forecast from Met UK show the centre of Eleanor crossing Donegal Bay

https://www.facebook.com/metoffice/posts/10155465573779209

Is the UK met office forecasting a more northerly track ?

Compared to the Met eireann forecast it sure looks that way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Shedbebreezy

I wonder will name the system for the new orange warning. Technically they should?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Christ that rain! Has turned twilight already.

Oh Joy, leaving Galway city for home soon. One of the lads working with me has to hop on his motorbike and brave that, rather him than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Christ that rain! Has turned twilight already.

It's just steady rain here- nothing out of the ordinary so far

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It's just steady rain here- nothing out of the ordinary so far

Where exactly is the fires of hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I prefer when the media are caught unaware of storm systems, so I don't have to watch their pityfull premeditated stereotype interpretation of bad weather,especially when crossing their own d4 media patch.

Thankfully met eireann have warned people well in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pjohnson wrote: »
    I struggle badly with these graphs. When will Galway Coast be hit?

They are easy enough to understand once you know, though I only tend to look at the wind chart as they are usually spot on.

This is the latest chart:

3hr-wind.gif

The colour bands show the forecast mean speed for the period on the time stamp (usually 2 to 3 hours ahead). The colour bands represent Beaufort force from 6 up to hurricane force (12) That chart above shows Gale 9 to Storm 10 winds coming up on the north Munster coast at 5pm, with BF 6 & 7 moving into the SW in general. There are also 'wind bards' on the map, which, while useful in themselves, I don't think serve much value on a map this small, as it just makes it look a bit too cluttered or something.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Could people say where "here" is when they're reporting their current local conditions?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I prefer when the media are caught unaware of storm systems, so I don't have to watch their pityfull retarded interpretation of weather,especially when crossing their own d4 media patch.

Thankfully met eireann have warned people well in advance.

Agreed! I think this one will take people by surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I wonder will name the system for the new orange warning. Technically they should?

I think it's a contiguous system and therefore storm. To the general public there won't be any perceivable gap between them really.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Where exactly is the fires of hell?

Tuam, County Galway:P

I am near Swinford.

Raining heavy in West Mayo,but light winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I am near Swinford.

near Mordor aswell

I bet we will have people complaining they were not warned sufficiently if there is damage done in the east now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Chance of gusts of 60 knots forecast for Waterford Airport also.

TAF EIWF 021400Z 0215/0224 23015KT 9999 SCT020 BKN030
    BECMG 0215/0217 20018G30KT 7000 -RA BKN012
    TEMPO 0216/0220 3000 RA BKN007 BECMG 0217/0219 23035G50KT
    PROB40 TEMPO 0218/0220 24040G60KT
    BECMG 0219/0221 26025G40KT PROB40 TEMPO 0221/0224 5000 SHRA SCT018CB=

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Very bad at the moment where I am (Kerry)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Same at Kerry, possible 60kts, don't recall it being mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

First power outages showing up in Kerry now in the past 20 minutes.
    https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

I bet we will have people complaining they were not warned sufficiently if there is damage done in the east now.

It unfortunately may happen,but it may also in the long run help in slowly changing the whinge/moan mindset/narrative regarding weather warnings,and storm naming,an aspect that really seems to gall & irritate the Irish psyche.

"Shure were Irish,what are we naming storms for,shure storms can't kill us,shure that's for Americans".

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

raining and wind starting to pick up now, with some strong gusts in Cork city.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Its been fairly miserable all day here in Dublin. I dont know if there is a wind blowing, cause Ive low rumble tinnitus at the minute so could just be imagining it haha!

Ive posted on Facebook about the warnings and people are laughing it off. This is the issue. No matter what precautions I take, it will still be the neighbours bins that hit my car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

UK Met Office Airmet Update

FAUK20 EGRR 021400

AIRMET AREA FORECAST, UK-OUTLOOK-AND-UPDATE,

VALID JAN 02/1500Z TO 02/2100Z.

MET-SITUATION: AT 18Z: LOW PRESSURE IS CENTRED OVER BELMULLET, MOV NE AT 30KT. AN OCCLUDED FRONT LIES STORNOWAY TO PETERHEAD TO BRUGES, MOV NNE AT 10KT IN NW, MOV NE AT 30KT IN SE. A WARM FRONT LIES BELMULLET TO DUBLIN TO SWANSEA TO LANNION, MOV NE AT 30KT IN NW, MOV E AT 40KT IN SE. A COLD FRONT LIES BELMULLET TO GALWAY TO CORK, MOV NE AT 30KT IN NW, MOV E AT 40KT IN SE.

OUTLOOK: UNTIL JAN 03/2400Z:

REMAINDER OF TUESDAY:

MET SITUATION: FRONTS WILL MOVE E OVER THE UK. A LOW PRESSURE CENTRE DEEPENS RAPIDLY OVER IRELAND THIS EVENING THEN MOVES NE OVER S SCOTLAND AND NORTHERN ENGLAND. WDSPR RA, SN MON, AND CU/SC ON FRONTS WITH OCNL HVY RA AND ST, (ISOL HVY TSRA WITH EMBD CB ON OCCLUSION N). DRY AND GENERALLY NSC AHEAD OF THE OCCLUSION. SHRA ALSO MOVING ACROSS FROM THE WEST FOR A TIME BEHIND FIRST FRONTAL SYSTEM WITH ISOL HVY SHRAGS/HVY TSRA IN FAR N. MOD, OCNL SEV IN W, TURB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's gone quite dark, and It's lashing in Ballymount. It's not windy, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Current Conditions outside wicklow town:

8.5 °C
    18.3 km/h
    Wind from SW
    Gusts 24.1 km/h
    Dew Point: 7 °C
    Humidity: 89%
    Precip Rate: 1.78 mm/hr
    Precip Accum: 6.35 mm
    Pressure: 989.73 hPa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sounds like a bit of an aul inferiority complex coming out there Mr. Mayo.

I am near Swinford.

Confirmed...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oh Joy, leaving Galway city for home soon. One of the lads working with me has to hop on his motorbike and brave that, rather him than me.

Rain nothing spectacular this side
    5mm or so over past 2 hours

• Advertisement

112kmh Gust now at Fastnet Lighthouse, she is making her way

Advertisement